World of Warcraft (Your Worst Expansion Now, & Best to Worse Expansion).

Garrett

Worst Shadowlands

Best to Worst Expansion for me.

Lich King.
two start areas some of the best thought out quest along the way rather than kill X amount of this or collect Y of that. Even got me tanking, and even on the pug weekly bosses.
Also had the introduction of the Death Knight.
Use to play a shamy on some of the raids and the bit in Trial of the Champions were the floor opens up and you fall in the water I often get whispered cast walk on water on so and so. So rather than falling in the water they hit it like hard rock. :rotfl:

Burning Crusade. introduction of flying mounts and really did not cost that much although sometimes had to take money from alts to buy one. The dragon mount egg hunt.
In this they opened up shaman for Alliance and paladin for the Horde with 2 new races.
I use to raid with Toko (some may know from General Chat) and on entering Karazhan told a newbie to go to the far end of the stables (before we cleared it) to pick a reward up if it was their first time. And the reward was getting killed.:rotfl:

BFA. much maligned said by many to be the worst expansion. Option of 3 starting areas, 3 more if you played opposite factions as well.
The powering up of the neck which I'm still wearing on lv 60 chars and better stats I got for quest at that level.
There was the 3 armour sets although was a pain looking which was of the choices was best for your class buts still a nice addition.
There was the invasions I always did them if not a silly hours but a fair timer that rotated as players in other zones could play, and some of the on the opposite factions area invasions were innovative the submarine was one out of the bag.
Opening a new area and giving a nice weapon if you not got better.

Legion (got the Demon Hunter class and class halls and special artifact weapons) although never did the quest chain for the flying mount, and some of them were silly go to X in the middle a a mass of elites to get a quest, ride out though them, them back when you done it.
Nice you could join others for area bosses although if joining with the maker of the group and on a PvP server and you dont like PvP sometimes the opposite faction would attack you although generally was respected that you were there to kill the boss not each other and could have come off a PvE server.

Warlords of Dreanor got you own base you could make to your liking, got a follower to help you, also got 2 lots of base quest for followers or ships to do.

Mist of Pandaria more a less on rails again from the start and really the only area of interest after capping was the Timeless Isle doing daily's or getting the very rare flying mount drop.

Cata like Shadowland areas of questing not linked, had the underwater start area but doing it once was enough. Ruined the landscape of the original game. Had a mate who was doing a X amount of quest for an achievement Cata wiped a lot of there quest when the land mass was altered and the quest givers disappeared they done quest for.
Was the expansion I gave up on having a permanent sub from about a month the original game started, I did not like a lot of the dungeons.
(was this the one were there was one under Blackrock?)

Shadowlands Almost on rails quest chain do this area before you can do the next, last area was probably the worst area I've quested in. Also had had to do the last area to get a covenant if you were following the story even if you hit 60 on the last area.
No side adventures for followers from the start even now I cant do them at 60.
No invasion/assaults' I saw like the last two expansions.
Some chest spawns sometimes needed 2 or 3 more players to open. Doing one area getting a weapon only to do the next area and on completing getting the same weapon level again, no upgrade.
Confusing covenant, did some quest and was up to 4 and further questing still at 4, next week did the weekly boss up to 7. Boss also piss poor rewards 75g for a kill or gear, no weapons I saw. Also no run back if you died on the boss you wait till its over albeit got loot and not classed as a non tag if on a death run.
Silly death runs, grave yards put in the most awkward of places especially the last area where you die at one side of a chasm and the grave yards the other but have to run up half the map to get to the point you can run back down the other side of the chasm and sometimes stuff walled in so have to run round large walled areas.

Last edited:

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
I’d put warlords below MOP, but I only ever played it after MOP came out anyway, but pretty much think the same about the list. With what’s going on at Blizzard at the moment it may spell the end for WoW unless they do a radical rethink and try and get back to basics.

Solar

Shadowlands is not as bad as everyone I know makes out. There is much more content than any other expansion and so much to unlock it's keeping me busy. It also has a really good storyline. The only downside with all that content is the endless amount of daily quests and different currencies.
I'm actually really enjoying this one. Might be something to do with them bringing back Melee Hunters :thumbsup:

Best has to be Vanilla and TBC, this is where I became a heavy raider and had such a good time with my guild mates right through Wrath.
Every thing after that became a generic filler with nothing but LFG and LFR.
WOD was terrible, even though I made a few million gold logging in for 30 mins a day with a full roster, after you got what you needed from dungeons there was nothing to do in it other than missions and selling bags.

chopples

Distinguished Member
The biggest issue with shadowlands is pointless systems upon systems, covenents, soulbinds,legendaries, dominion shards, renown, It’s such a convoluted mess, even worse if running alts.

My best to worse expansions

TBC - took everything which was great from vanilla and removed some of the tedious aspects, I guess it was just more refined

Wrath - Still vanilla within its roots, excellent expansion, each patch added something really significant, my favourite raid is within this expansion although less said about trial of the grand crusader the better, towards the end blizzard started to implement the quality of life improvements, some may have liked these but I felt it was the start of a downward trend, removing some of the social elements which made the game great.

Legion - This, with the above expansions is the only one I played through without unsubbing from beginning to end, started off a bit ropey, legendary system was frustrating. By midway though this resolved itself, if you still didn’t have the legendary needed the vendor was there to help… each major patch added lots of content including a dungeon, the raids where excellent, lots of solo content what with the class quests, mount chain and ofc the excellent mage tower, professions meant something again and even those had quest chains attached to them. Decent catchup system for alts and lastly added the mythic plus system.

MOP - great story, throne of thunder and siege was ace, lots of side stuff to farm, anglers, timeless isle, mounts, legendary quest chain, solid expac, yes it went on too long, also it was a bit too heavy on the dailies, in terms of class design was probably the pinnacle.

CATA - Levelling changes where great, I probably pushed most of my alts during this expansion, raids where meh, dungeons where good, very very hard in the beginning (reminded me of TBC heroics) obviously they aren’t difficult by todays standards, guess it was more about the tuning, more quality of life refinements, I think they changed the mob tagging in this one meaning you no longer needed to be in a group for world content, had some fun in tol Barad, overall I would rate it just above average

WOD - hmmmm garrisons (still living on that gold today) I actually enjoyed WOD, the reason it ranks so low is there was literally nothing to do, it was also responsible for bringing in the Facebook game elements which still haunts us in shadowlands, certainly the most content starved expansion, I recall the highlight from one patch being a selfie cam, I think the only thing added was tanan, oh and ashran was a mess… The levelling was great though, as was the raids, BRF being up there as one of the best of all time, I enjoyed the legendary quest line, again the last patch went on for too long.This is where the pruning started but I did like maxing my ring and using the archimonde class trinkets, that along with the HFC tier meant I felt super powerful running the dailies for valor etc…

Shadowlands - The levelling is good, the Story hmmmm not sure, tough between this and BFA for worse tbh, I have already mentioned the systems upon systems. The maw is crap, torghast meh, definitely my least played expansion, copy and paste from BFA with invasions etc…. At least it doesn’t have islands and warfronts….

BFA - after legion this was such a disappointment, warfronts - crap, islands - crap. Azerite gear - crap, remember the first week running mythic 0s getting a crap piece and not even being allowed to trade it to someone who actually needed it, spent every patch trying (and failing) to fix this.Levelling was tedious for alts due to there only really being the 3 zones, Legion copy and paste invasions kind of solved this.I think they just gave up by the end, corruption kind of took over but at least you could have some fun with that, especially once your cloak was ranked.They got rid of tier sets too, for those who like to mog it was literally one set per Armor type. Highlight was probably the nazjatar/mechagon patch, lots to do and the raid/dungeon was decent.

Garrett

BFA - after legion this was such a disappointment, warfronts - crap, islands - crap. Azerite gear - crap, remember the first week running mythic 0s getting a crap piece and not even being allowed to trade it to someone who actually needed it, spent every patch trying (and failing) to fix this.Levelling was tedious for alts due to there only really being the 3 zones, Legion copy and paste invasions kind of solved this.I think they just gave up by the end, corruption kind of took over but at least you could have some fun with that, especially once your cloak was ranked.They got rid of tier sets too, for those who like to mog it was literally one set per Armor type. Highlight was probably the nazjatar/mechagon patch, lots to do and the raid/dungeon was decent.
As I say more or less stopped doing dungeons back in Cata but was forced in some later on, and wondering you mention not able to swap drops, did they not change the loot system where everyone got loot off every boss, rather than rolling for it?

You mention the introduction where if you was after something and some one tagged it you could and be classed as your kill as well. One thing I do hate is party exclusions where if some one in a party tagged it its greyed out to everyone else.

I'm trying to think the original dungeons in Lich King rather than the contest of chamions.
The two ones were the spiders were.
One where you ran a gauntlet and fired spears and a Blue Dragon was a drop.
One where you ran pass some stabled dragons and one of the exits of the game you dropped sown a shaft into some water?
Think them 2 were in the starting area.

Then there were one where you could enter in two places and started off with snakes and although indoors had to cross bridges over water
And one where you passed a raptor pen and had to pull them out and at the top of the dungeon was a troll?

Oh and the was it two in the eye??? where you killed a dragon at the end and freed her soul.
And the one with 3 different buffed dragons that you flew.

Best set of dungeons I ever played.

Oh and 3 in Icecrown I the first and last were the best 2 although that ice barrier run the the escape ship was a bitch. And harking back to swaping drops rember on the first one a cloth item dropped and had great stats for a caster and my druid was a caster and the clothy let me have it even though I was a leather wearer.

chopples

Distinguished Member
As I say more or less stopped doing dungeons back in Cata but was forced in some later on, and wondering you mention not able to swap drops, did they not change the loot system where everyone got loot off every boss, rather than rolling for it?

It was azerite armor, they rowed back after complaints

Ye I didn’t mind personal loot, although I was a bit of a swine in that I sometimes liked to keep loot for transmog (even if not an upgrade) I would just let the loot go to my mail box, that way I wouldn’t be pestered to trade it away.

You mention the introduction where if you was after something and some one tagged it you could and be classed as your kill as well. One thing I do hate is party exclusions where if some one in a party tagged it its greyed out to everyone else.

I liked this during vanilla and TBC as you would often end up helping Each other with the rest of the quests but by wrath it literally became sprint into area, spam invite, get tag, leave, with not even a hello or thanks, so it probably made sense why they changed it. The automated LFG also reduced need to communicate, for those looking for groups the traditional way gearscore then became the barrier to entry

I'm trying to think the original dungeons in Lich King rather than the contest of chamions.
The two ones were the spiders were.
One where you ran a gauntlet and fired spears and a Blue Dragon was a drop.
One where you ran pass some stabled dragons and one of the exits of the game you dropped sown a shaft into some water?
Think them 2 were in the starting area.

nexus and oculus were Borean side, utgard pinnacle was on the other, think I got a mount from that one, the 2 spider ones where in dragonblight, the raptor pens sounds like gundrak, a lot of these dungeons (including the three ICC ones) are on the rotation when timewalking is up, you should check them out :smashin:, can you imagine wow today releasing three dungeons (and a raid) in one patch!!!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom