World in Conflict discussion thread

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
The demo for World in Conflict is due out at some point today. This and Bioshock in the same weekend! :eek:

WORLD IN CONFLICT DEMO COMING AUGUST 24

Gamers Get First Taste of Single Player Campaign; More Multiplayer Combat from the Best Strategy Game of E3 2007

LOS ANGELES (August 20, 2007) -- Sierra Entertainment, a division of Vivendi Games, will release a public demo of World in Conflict , the award-winning action-strategy PC game developed by Massive Entertainment, on Aug. 24 – the first day of both Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany and Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, WA. The World in Conflict Demo will contain both single player and multiplayer modes.

World in Conflict will be available at retail outlets across North America on Sept. 18.

The World in Conflict Demo , which will be available as a free download, will give PC players a taste of the innovative gameplay and next-generation graphics that made World in Conflict the unanimous choice of E3 judges and media as the Best Strategy Game of E3 2007.

Included in the World in Conflict Demo will be:

· Multiplayer combat for up to 16 players in a match

Map: “Seaside” (US vs. USSR)

o Exclusive Bonus Map : Customers who have pre-ordered the game will also be able to play a second MP map: “Ruins” (US vs. USSR)

· First public experience with World in Conflict's epic single-player campaign

o Tutorial: US Airbase

o SP Mission 3: “The Battle of Pine Valley”

· Skirmish Mode: For the first time, players will be able to hone their combat skills versus bots (available only on “Seaside&rdquo

· Fully enabled online support through Massgate, including:

o Few-player-mode

o Clan matches

o Full access to Massgate forums

World in Conflict will be available Sept. 18 in both Standard and Collector's Edition formats. The World in Conflict Collector's Edition will include limited edition extras for hardcore fans and Cold War enthusiasts, including an authentic piece of the Berlin Wall, a bonus DVD from The History Channel ® , behind the scenes videos and special packaging. Additional pre-order bonuses for the Collector's Edition and Standard Edition versions of World in Conflict are now available at participating retailers across North America, including an additional bonus DVD from The History Channel ® and other added content.

Source

Usama

Distinguished Member
Gamespot have World in Conflict and Bioshock demos on now. ;)

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Has anyone tried the demo yet? I started to download from Gamespot yesterday but was getting poor speeds so I abandoned it.

Probably will try again later in the weekend.

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
I played the beta and wasn't too impressed, looked very pretty, but seems pretty limited in MP compared to Supcom.

Will try the demo if I get chance, Bioshock is the daddy tho!

Usama

Distinguished Member
Has anyone tried the demo yet? I started to download from Gamespot yesterday but was getting poor speeds so I abandoned it.

Probably will try again later in the weekend.

I was Downloading Bioshock 50% done and my bro turned my pc off :suicide: :mad: so i just abandoned it! Just going to get the game now.

Brausch

Banned
One of the better recent RTS by the look of the demo but still devolves into a clicking frenzy as real time overpowers strategy. Won't be buying this but those who are interested might want the CE with a piece of the Berlin Wall (not sure whether that's American only). Also annoyed me by needing to be removed by Control Panel

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I played the beta and wasn't too impressed, looked very pretty, but seems pretty limited in MP compared to Supcom.

Will try the demo if I get chance, Bioshock is the daddy tho!
The demo actually has a single-player part which the beta didn't. It's worth trying if you're a fan of the genre.

Maniac618

This demo crashes straight after it loads the tutorial. At the end of the loading screen it says press any button... I do and the game crashes to desktop. Vista 32.

My PC spec is quad core and 4gb of RAM with an 8600gts.

Craigy

Distinguished Member
Just thought I would update this thread, ordered this for Friday's release, Eurogamer gave it 9/10!

SDMDAM

Just thought I would update this thread, ordered this for Friday's release, Eurogamer gave it 9/10!

I downloaded this and was pretty impressed. Similar to Company of Heros with aspects of Supreme Commander thrown in. I will probably buy the retail version at some point as I think it could be a good game.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I wish I was into RTS games but tbh I find them boring, I tried the demo of Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander and just couldn't get into them.

Razor

I wish I was into RTS games but tbh I find them boring, I tried the demo of Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander and just couldn't get into them.

I dont like either of the ones you have mentioned but I love the Command and Conquer series. Have you tried any of them Tej?

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I tried C&C way back and couldn't get into that either. RTS games and turn-based RPg's are two types of games I could never get into. I know I'm missing on some great titles but the FPS genre has more than enough to keep me busy! :p

Razor

I tried C&C way back and couldn't get into that either. RTS games and turn-based RPg's are two types of games I could never get into. I know I'm missing on some great titles but the FPS genre has more than enough to keep me busy! :p

Fair enough. I would say CnC is probably the most user friendly out of all the RTS games. I dont like the turn based ones either. Like you fps are my number one.

SDMDAM

RTS games can be a bit samey in my opinion so you need a decent story to keep you going. They are good for dipping in and out of. The 1st Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth game was very good imo.

Some are very focussed on resource gathering such as Rise of Nations, whereas other such as Sup Com incorporate resource gathering but are more focussed on action.

drunkenmaster

Novice Member
RTS games and turn-based RPg's are two types of games I could never get into.

Ditto, I dont think I have ever finished an RTS - Tiberium Wars being the last

Some are very focussed on resource gathering such as Rise of Nations, whereas other such as Sup Com incorporate resource gathering but are more focussed on action.

So what type is World in Conflict? - I hope its action, as resource gatherin is tedious IMO. Sorry to go off topic are there any RTS's which do not depend on resource gathering and you go in soleyfor the kill - stategically of course :D

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
Sup Com incorporate resource gathering but are more focussed on action.

Actually Supcom is pure resource gathering game, you spend more time managing your economy than anything else.

Good examples of action RTS games are the Ground Control series, which completely get rid of economy just about. Fortunately, the makers of this are the ones who make World in Conflict!

SDMDAM

Actually Supcom is pure resource gathering game, you spend more time managing your economy than anything else.

Good examples of action RTS games are the Ground Control series, which completely get rid of economy just about. Fortunately, the makers of this are the ones who make World in Conflict!

It's an exaggeration to say that Sup Com is pure resource gathering. Yes, you need to gather resources and manage them but you should be spending more time setting up defensive positions and building up an army to crush the opposition and meet the objectives. If all you did was gather resources then how could you win a game?

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
If all you did was gather resources then how could you win a game?

The majority of the game in Supcom is based around managing your economy. Simple out production is the order of the day. There are very few unit tactics that can be used to give you an advantage past the first 5 minutes. It is simply getting a critical mass of troops and offensive structures to win out. There are times when troop manouvering is important, but this is generally limited to a couple of maps like Open Palms.

From your post I am assuming you are talking about the single player game, which is slightly different to multiplayer. I can understand what you are trying to say, but economic production is king in Supcom. Moreso than most other RTS games as they have finite resource pools, Supcom your resources never run out.

Pretty OT, but World in Conflict is a lot more action orientated and about using tactics with your units. Supcom is the opposite, it is about the strategy of controlling your base.

I am only saying, and I have a pretty good idea of Supcom as I play in the top 200 ranked players in the world and am a top 10 UK player.

z5461313

Hi Sinzer

What do you think to the present state of SupCom after the last 2 patches?

They made the T2 tank strong, which seemed to reduce the T1 spamming alot

I didn't like this very much, because it seemed to limit what you can build ie all T1 units become obsolete after 5 mins as people quick tech to T2

I sort of went off the game, as I don't just like building economies up

MrMoonUK

I got the fullv ersion of WIC today and its great except in single player only after 20mins it crashes to desktop and says not enough memory I have 3GB of ram so it cant be that, can anyone help me

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
Hi Sinzer

What do you think to the present state of SupCom after the last 2 patches?

I think it is improving, but it still has a lot of work, and I am pretty much taking a rest from it until FA comes out or they patch again. The addition of the mercy has made things interesting, but it is still very sim city (hate to say it).

I may pick up WIC, but I have read quite a few gamer reviews and played the beta myself, and I feel that the accusations of it being quite shallow once you are over the eye candy, hold some water.

Currently, I have just bought the pre-order of sins of a solar empire, which allows you entry to the beta. This looks REALLY interesting from an RTS point of view as it is a turn based/real time hybrid. Really worth checking out if you are a fan of space RTS like Homeworld. It is made by Stardock and Ironclad, known for the Galactic Civilizations games and the Star Wars RTS's.

Indiana Jones

Got my copy of the Collectors Edition today so now for a night of daisy cutting and nuking :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors