World in Action theme

jonathan

Established Member
Reaction score
Could anyone inform me of the artist & title of the original theme for the Granada TV programme World in Action? Thanks

It pretty sure it was Oxygene 4 by Jean Michel Jarre, but I was a bit young to be concerned by such programmes when it was on. :D

Was he around in the early late 60's when the programme (I think) was first aired?

"jam for world in action" by Johnathon Weston ?

Definitely not Oxygene 4

World In Action had several themes over it's forty year history, which started in 1958. The firat theme was a forgetteble "dynamic" orchestral theme with lots of brass "stabs" very of it's time in the early sixties.

However the theme that everyone remembers is, as Vonhosen says, Jam for World In Action by Jonathan Weston. That's the one with the dramatic organ chords.

It was superceded by a stereo arrangement when NICAM started braodcasting. It was, sadly, never commercially available.
For further info, and to hear it again try

http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/itvnorthwest/itvnorthwestprogrammes.html

Now, then....Weekend World anyone?....Yes.. I bought the Mountain album on the strength of it too!

K

weekend world - Nantuckett Sleighride by Mountain. :thumbsup:
Great song, even if it does go a little spinal tap in the middle. :laugh:

Great response, thanks! Further then to my original post does anyone happen to know whether the theme was "taken" from a longer piece or was the actual theme all their was of it?
Referring to Weekend World's theme the Quartz version of Nantucket Sleighride is pretty good too!

You remember Quartz too! I have the single somewhere....many happy hours rummaging in Reddingtons.

I did try to track the "Weekend World" theme down many years ago, however was told by Granada it was a special recording for the programme.

There was a rumour that Granada / Yorkshire were going to release a compilation of great programme themes to coincide with their fortieth birthday. (Following the success of a similar BBC 60 years). But I think it was put on hold. I keep hoping that something will come out for their 50th.

K

Great response, thanks! Further then to my original post does anyone happen to know whether the theme was "taken" from a longer piece or was the actual theme all their was of it?
Referring to Weekend World's theme the Quartz version of Nantucket Sleighride is pretty good too!

I've found the original FULL 3:11 "Jam For World In Action"! Contact me at [email protected] if you're still interested Jonathan. ;-)

What was this piece of music,
World In Action had several themes over it's forty year history, which started in 1958. The firat theme was a forgetteble "dynamic" orchestral theme with lots of brass "stabs" very of it's time in the early sixties.
thanks in advance

Thanks Brian but I am after the very first one theme eg
dynamic" orchestral theme with lots of brass "stabs

This?

Bri

That's the one I remember from my childhood! Memories flooding back. Not that I ever watched but my Dad did. Cue blurry film segments and clearer TV camera studio parts!

Guys I found the original its not the music I thought its must have been another 1960s Documentary I was thinking thanks to all.

That's the one I remember from my childhood! Memories flooding back. Not that I ever watched but my Dad did. Cue blurry film segments and clearer TV camera studio parts!

Yes it did the same to me. It also brought back memories off a mate who played on a song for one of the episodes. I haven't seen him in years.

Bri

There use to be an other weekly documentary series called This Week which used this music.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom