World Exclusive - AVForums Panasonic ZT65 Review

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Once again we are proud to bring forum members a World Exclusive TV review from our review team.

This is the most anticipated TV of the year, Panasonic’s flag ship plasma, the ZT65/ZT60. Is this the real deal in reference picture quality? Will we see a TV finally surpass the legendary Kuro by some margin in picture terms, and include all the latest features like 3D and Smart TV into the package? Well, the wait is over, you can read our in-depth review here:
Panasonic TX-P60ZT65B 3D Plasma Television Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

NBrice

still has ir, dfc and line bleed to :eek:

If it's anything like the VT65, DFC is now barely noticeable compared to last year's models (I should know), and IR and line bleed are unavoidable side-effects of plasma tech.

I'm absolutely over the moon with my incredible VT65, but I'd love one of these in a world where money is no object ;)

Last edited:

AVF Jay

Banned
and IR and line bleed are unavoidable side-effects of plasma tech.

Exactly.

It's like trying to find an lcd/led set with perfect uniformity....it ain't gonna happen.

Backlight bleed and clouding are part and parcel of it.

From what it sounds like in terms of inherent flaws with plasma, the ZT is as good as it's gonna get.

Jules

Distinguished Member
IR has IMO made a bad name for itself with some models. Different generations of Plasma from the same manufacturer, new and old, seam to vary in their IR resistance.

I had an old Panasonic PW7 that I could (and did) leave on overnight with a fixed graphic on it, and there was no IR whatsoever, ever.
I upgraded it to a PW10, and even on the lowest contrast setting it would suffer IR after 10 minutes or even less.
I used to work in a office where I used an older generation Pioneer plasma that was riddled with IR too.
And before anyone says IR doesn't exist on recent models, I have a mate who has a recent Samsung plasma, and that suffers with IR quite badly.

However, I'm happy to report that my current Pioneer Kuro 5090 has been as bomb proof as my old Panasonic PW7 in the IR stakes. IR is a lottery!!

Even though it seams the Kuro's reign as picture quality king has finally come to an end, the IR lottery on any new set costing £4000 would be too much for me to stomach these days.

I'll wait for OLED.

Last edited:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
A good honest review stating everything people want and I bet this thread will be full of comments about ooh its got IR and bleed etc.:facepalm:

People need to understand what IR is, still so many people out there think its burn.
Line bleed too, my Samsung has some line bleed my last 4 Panasonics had it.
DFC was a huge issue for me on my V20, not so much on my GT30 and viewing some 50s it seemed further improved. Again rare, but I have seen it on my Samsung.

People seem to be very judgmental of plasma and its faults but seem to forget how many LCD has, especially Edge lit LED.

The only fault with this set that makes it a no for me is price, not really a fault I know, if it wasn't so expensive it'd not be as good, still it is a git lol.

So glad the whole kuro thing can be put to rest now.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
That looks a lot like a VT30 remote with a few buttons relabelled.

The ANSI checkerboard whites measured close to the peak output mentioned for EBU mode. Was EBU mode used for those test results shown?

Thanks.

Last edited:

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Still not convinced this is worth the price premium, there's definitely an exclusivity premium being charged here , I'm pretty sure next to a VT there'll be very very little between them, I don't see how the blacks can be *visibly* better than they are on the VT65, ok they might be 0.001 or something better but is that visible to the naked eye, doubt it. I think after seeing what the VT65 can do I feel like the picture doesn't need to be any better than that, definite case of the law of diminishing returns applying here....
Anyway I don't blame anyone for buying it if they've got the money, it's clearly the best TV money can buy and some people will be able to justify the cost purely on that basis, personally I'd rather have 98% of the performance for 60% of the cost but that's just me...
Oh and hell of a scoop on the review , sure as hell wasn't expecting that. I assume it was a retail unit not the one that's been doing the rounds at various places this year?

Cheers
Andy

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
still has ir, dfc and line bleed to :eek:

plasma always will to some degree, kuro, VT or otherwise, maybe its time we move on from that and just accept it, its not really like we have a choice. the real choice is can you live with the rare instances the display you purchase has ;)

just enjoy the tv for what it can do rather than its minor niggles. (if you have the cash to purchase one in the first place!

panman40

Distinguished Member
A good honest review stating everything people want and I bet this thread will be full of comments about ooh its got IR and bleed etc.:facepalm:

People need to understand what IR is, still so many people out there think its burn.
Line bleed too, my Samsung has some line bleed my last 4 Panasonics had it.
DFC was a huge issue for me on my V20, not so much on my GT30 and viewing some 50s it seemed further improved. Again rare, but I have seen it on my Samsung.

People seem to be very judgmental of plasma and its faults but seem to forget how many LCD has, especially Edge lit LED.

The only fault with this set that makes it a no for me is price, not really a fault I know, if it wasn't so expensive it'd not be as good, still it is a git lol.

So glad the whole kuro thing can be put to rest now.

No line bleed on my plasma, no dfc or IR either.

I suppose if somebody wants the most expensive Panasonic plasma out there its all good lol.

supermackem

Doesnt seem worth the extra over the vt really, im sure if money is no object it would be an easy choice but nearly 4k for a tv prices most people out.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
No line bleed on my plasma, no dfc or IR either.

I suppose if somebody wants the most expensive Panasonic plasma out there its all good lol.

Watch Deal or no deal.;)

As for IR surely you mean its not an issue rather than non existent? My set gets it but I rarely see it on normal content.

HugoFJH

When Ive got £5000 to burn (I need an av upgrade too lol) I will find a good dealer and do a side by side test between the VT and the ZT and see if I can see the difference.....but my 5090 is getting too small, even though its still a damned good monitor (as stated elsewhere I don't believe Ive ever used the inbuilt tuner)

I just wish Panasonic had chosen to do a ZT65 rather than 60 - its a little harder to swallow that price with less screen (although I paid the same price for the Kuro 50" ~4/5 years ago - I was also in a better paid job at the time lol)

panman40

Distinguished Member
I find some things amusing.

How can people comment until they have seen it.

One mans poison is another's nectar.

Gonna comment in another thread.

SEE HERE

Glad to have obliged with your amusement :rolleyes:.

panman40

Distinguished Member
But plenty of magenta tinting :p:p:p

Yep, genuine fault I have, waiting to see if there's a decent replacement before calling the fault in so if its deemed BER I know there's a 60" tv out there I can fall back on. Anyways no more comments from me.

HugoFJH

Still not convinced this is worth the price premium, there's definitely an exclusivity premium being charged here , I'm pretty sure next to a VT there'll be very very little between them, I don't see how the blacks can be *visibly* better than they are on the VT65, ok they might be 0.001 or something better but is that visible to the naked eye, doubt it.
Andy

Its a completely different panel isn't it? (No air between the front glass and the panel itself)

This sounds to me like its £'000's different rather than a few hundred (without searching that hard, which admittedly can go both ways) there appears to be about a £400-500 difference between the 60"ZT and the 65"VT - with ZT already being offered around the £3800 mark, already less than rrp advertised here.

micks_address

Same question here.. i can only go for a 50" screen so VT65 is my only option... is it much behind in terms of picture quality of the ZT?

Superb review.

So the million dollar question... is it worth the upgrade over the VT65?

urbanlegend179

Same question here.. i can only go for a 50" screen so VT65 is my only option... is it much behind in terms of picture quality of the ZT?

From everything I've read there's no way it is "much" behind. The VT65 is not as good as the ZT65, granted, but there's a good chance the difference is not noticeable to most people at all.

I'll let the experts on here give their opinion.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
VT65 v ZT65
Go and see for yourself, why let others decide how much you spend? The difference are there to see in the review and in the feature lists, next step is to see if YOU can see the difference. I can't afford the ZT but still want to see both, anything I post after is likely to be bias though yo make me feel better about not being able to get the ZT.:)

urbanlegend179

Basically, the question is: Is the ZT65 worth two VT65's? :D Yes, I know there's a difference in screen size but the reality is that for the price of a 60-inch ZT you can buy two 50-inch VT65s. Period. For me personally this is what it really boils down to. I'll definitely go along to TPS and take a look for myself, but the ZT will have to be REALLY special and VISIBILY superior to the VT65 in every way for me to justify it.

To be honest, a few months ago I was definitely set on a ZT, because none of us had any idea just how good the VT65 was going to be! The VT65 has really surprised all of us this year. We knew the ZT was going to be a KURO killer but we didn't think the VT would be superior to a KURO.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up