World Cup, will it still look better in SD?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by the hoff, Mar 27, 2006.

1. the hoff

the hoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I know that the SKY HD thread list is at about 2 billion, but I haven't seen if anyone has asked this yet. After seeing Planet Earth on the BBC in SD, it still looks much better than the usual SD offerings by some distance. I was wondering, are those of us stuck with SD for the upcoming World Cup likely to see a similar improvement in image quality. Seeing as the BBC plan to broadcast in HD, I am assuming that the feed will be the same but downscaled for us SD paupers. Also anyone know if ITV's pictures will be any better than the woeful images from the last World Cup or are they likely to be the same? I don't suppose they are using a HD source for transmission, but I don't actually know. This is my first thread post so go easy.

2. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The answer is likely to be yes, that it will benefit from being filmed in HD (much as Premiership football on sky does at the moment. You are still at the mercy of the bitrate that the channel gets to use for the broadcast so there's no guarantee though.

3. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Anyone know if it has been 100% confirmed that the HD broadcasts will be in Widescreen? Last World Cup I even swithced Sky to 4:3 to save having the black borders at the sides.

I know the German producers were reluctant to switch to 16:9 as many countries haven't moved to W/S yet.

4. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    HD is 16:9 by definition

5. the hoff

the hoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    If anyone saw the Confederations cup last year on Channel 5 they can confirm, but I'm pretty sure it was broadcast in 16:9. I also think it was filmed in HD as a sort of trial for the 2006 World Cup. I may be wrong on both fronts, but I do remember the picture looking pretty good for SD.

6. the hoff

the hoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    sorry didn't read that right. Yes it is true HD is always 16:9, as a follow up though does anyone know if the SD World Cup broadcasts are likely to be 16:9.

7. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    As far as I'm aware the BBC will down convert the HD feed to SD and therefore SD world cup will be in widescreen.

As for PQ not sure how much effect filming in HD will have on the PQ. I think the bitrate is way more important. It will be interesting to see if the BBC broadcast any of the World Cup at a higher bitrate to test high Quality SD V HD. Research by the BBC suggests that for Flat Panels SD is best broadcast at 9-10 mbps.

Its probably unlikely the BBC will increase the SD bit rate but who Knows. On SKy the Carling Cup Final was the best SD Ive seen for football and this shows that they can increase the bitrate if they choose to.

8. jay_edinburgh

jay_edinburgh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed that some sporting events on the BBC have had much better PQ than other events they have shown, I think this is because they are using HD cameras at some events (on trial of course) . So I think you will have better PQ for the world cup.

9. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    At the mercy of whoever decides the bitrates :(

Could be stunning, could be diabolical. :rolleyes:

10. the hoff

the hoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I must admit I hadn't really thought about the bitrate. I would guess that it is going to be impossible to guess what it will look like beforehand. Shall just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best (bitrate). I only hope it looks better than ITV's pictures from 2002, as they were almost unwatchable at times.

11. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    One thing Ive noticed is that since Sky Sports HD has been up and running Premiership football has looked alot better. The football yesterday was excellent and also the cricket this morning looks very good. Not sure why this is as people say that they are not using the same transponder for the SD and HD material.

For me though if the SD PQ from the world cup can compare to the football on yesterday and that of the Carling Cup final I will be more than happy.

12. sidepipe

sidepipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Well, don't know why football would look better since the HD channels have appeared because sky have been filming premiership games using HD for some time. The bit rate is the key... what res the source material is in makes no real odds providing its > the target res.

13. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    HD signals will look better on HDTV over the SD signals on HDTV's. Since HDTV is meant to offer finer detail.

14. bulldoze

bulldoze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yep the Spurs v WBA match did look damn good last night (even more so as i am a spurs fan!) and the ITV broadcast of the Arsenal v Juventus match I am watching now is dreadful, I inwardly groan every time I find out a match is on ITV!

15. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Emailed the BBC about SD bitrates and to my surprise I got a phonecall regarding it!!:eek:

They accepted that SD bitrates were pretty poor and it was something they were looking into. They also agreed that SD looks worse on a HD screen than a SD one.

They also claimed they were looking into bitrates for the World Cup but I wouldnt hodl your breath!! Problem is transponder space. If HD takes off then they can buy extra transponders and use some of this to improve SD broadcasts. Also they are looking into ways of improving variable bitrates that they use.

16. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    They are not going to do anything about SD bit rates, so leave the sinking ship to HD world. As more go to HD, SD rates are probably going to drop further. Then as a broadcaster, you may want to make SD truly awful to get everyone over the HD so you can close SD down. The writing is on the wall.

17. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yep maybe but I found it amusing that they rung me and admitted that SD broadcasts were poor. Can just imagine emailing Sky. WOuld have got an email back telling me how great SD was on Sky:rotfl:

As for bitrates getting worse well someone should tell SKy as Footie looks loads better now than it did a couple of months ago.

Also of course the BBC looks after all TV viewers and not just the 1% of the population who are buying in Sky HD!. It would seem that I'm not the only person querying the problem as they knew it was a problem. Unlike Sky the BBC will only need a few hundred people complaining about a service for them to look into to into.

To be honest I was just enquiring about the world cup and if they were doing anything for SD bitrates. Apart from the World cup I'm not that bothered and to honest Football can look pretty good at times on the BBC and the impression I got is that they will do the best they can for the world cup which will probably be good enough for me.

18. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    I think someone is about to be proved wrong big time, HD will always look better then SD. SD is dated, I think Tony Blair should just move the UK to HD now. While giving everyone free Sky HD box as a quick move over guys.

19. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    No ones saying that SD looks better than HD. The question being asked is whether a programme filmed in HD and then broadcast in SD looks better than a programme filmed in SD.

As for the government giving away HD boxes that would be nice but are they going to give away HD ready sets as well in view of the fact that only 1 in 30 homes have a HD set and how are people going to pay the monthly charge? only roughly 1 in 3 subscriber to either Sky or Cable do you want Tony to pay our monthly subs too?

Also what about broadcasters? who will pay for them all to convert to HD? Plus whos going to pay for each channel to broadcast at 3 times the bandwidth of SD?

Maybe you should write to Tony for his opinion you never know he may be interested. Lets face it hes wasted enough money on the Iraq war which not many wanted him to do. I can see you plan being just as popular. Will get him out of number 10 though:D

20. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    It is all down to the bitrates AFAICS.
    It doesnt matter what it is filmed in, it is how it is broadcast.

Last weekend I noticed how great the PQ on Sky Premiership was.
    The same match from the same cameras that night on MOTD was awful.

21. teddstarr

teddstarr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was wondering if the HD is broadcast (and filmed) in DD5.1 when this is converted for SD will we be able to get the DD5.1 thru our sky+ boxes