World Cup Footie on High Def in UK!!!

jwramsay

Prominent Member
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4812602.stm

This article states ....

"Meanwhile, a digital TV channel is to screen live World Cup matches under a deal with the BBC.

UKTV G2 will screen 31 games, including England's opening tie against Paraguay, using the BBC's coverage but with its own commentators and presenters.

The channel, owned by BBC Worldwide and Telewest, has also agreed with ITV that it can show highlights of all 64 games.
"

PDP-434HDE said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4812602.stm

This article states ....

"Meanwhile, a digital TV channel is to screen live World Cup matches under a deal with the BBC.

UKTV G2 will screen 31 games, including England's opening tie against Paraguay, using the BBC's coverage but with its own commentators and presenters.

The channel, owned by BBC Worldwide and Telewest, has also agreed with ITV that it can show highlights of all 64 games.
"

c'mon :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GET IN!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TV DRIVE install on Monday !!!!!!! :rotfl:

Sorry, maybe picked this up wrong as the whole article is actually about HDTV.

If its not HD then who the hell will be watching it?

PDP-434HDE said:
Sorry, maybe picked this up wrong as the whole article is actually about HDTV.

If its not HD then who the hell will be watching it?

Hey, you removed the post I was replying too!!

PDP-434HDE said:
Hey, you removed the post I was replying too!!
I did because I never went to the link, I was being big and clever as I read a BBC story this morning about the same thing but made no mention of HD, I thought it was that and it wasn't so I ended up looking stupid!

Lifted from the BBC news article.

"The BBC is among European broadcasters due to broadcast matches in HD standard for those with the suitable equipment to receive it."

I can only make the assumption that they will be broadcasting matches in HD on the basis of this article.

Perhaps I better invest in TV Drive.......

usagi13 said:
Perhaps I better invest in TV Drive.......
more than likely going to be FTA in MPEG4 over satellite though

Possibly but considering that BBC and Telewest have a good relationship and the fact that Telewest are the only company at the moment with a HD product that is actually in peoples homes I would say there is a fair chance it will be available on cable.

As I read it, the article is in two parts.

Firstly, it talks about the world cup being shown in HD and the shortage of boxes, and it mentions that Telewest and Sky are launching HD services. It says nothing about the BBC launching HD channels. But it does say the BBC will be amongst broadcasters showing the world cup in HD - but that can just apply to the DTT based HD trials they have already announced.

Then, it talks about BBC agreeing with ITV that UKTV G2 can show matches and highlights. No mention of HD. Note the use of the word "meanwhile..." (as in "change of subject"

The BBC will already be showing the World cup on BBC1 via Satellite, and the UKTV deal just extends those broadcasts.

I mis-read the article at first too. I think it is pretty clear from the statement about BBC being one of a number of HD broadcasters that it fully intends broadcasting in HD. BBC's journalism is pretty realiable.

Well at least we know that UKG2 will not be in HD - they can't even get widescreen out!

H

bayards said:
Well at least we know that UKG2 will not be in HD - they can't even get widescreen out!

H

Plus it's meant to be a 'gold' channel anyway !! What a joke the whole UKTV 'strand' is now

Sorry for raising hopes, I guess I was sucked in by reading the article the way I wanted it to seem!?

It is very ambiguous.

It's just not going to happen. The BBC has hardly any sport these days compared to Sky/cable, so there's no way they'll give the latter access to a HD WC feed.

Only way we'll get HD WC action is from dodgy downloads, maybe the day afterwards. Probably I'll watch the key matches lives, then download others to watch at times there's no footie on.

It won't be Sky that gets the HD feed anymore than they get Match of the Day now.
You are confusing the BBC being on the Sky EPG with Sky having the transmission rights.
If it is on ,it will be on the BBC's own FTA transponder.

Alan

arfster said:
It's just not going to happen. The BBC has hardly any sport these days compared to Sky/cable, so there's no way they'll give the latter access to a HD WC feed.

Only way we'll get HD WC action is from dodgy downloads, maybe the day afterwards. Probably I'll watch the key matches lives, then download others to watch at times there's no footie on.

Err - the BBC are launching their HD trial later this year. The smart money is on the trial starting in time for the World Cup, and the BBC's HD channel being carried on a BBC transponder on satellite, broadcast in a manner compatible with Sky's HD receiver. It may also be on cable and digital terrestrial (in London only)

There is no reason for the BBC to give Sky HD football for their channels, however there is every reason for the BBC to broadcast their own HD material in a manner compatible with Sky's HD platform. (Just as the BBC, ITV, C4, Viacom, Flextech all broadcast their channels in a manner compatible with Sky receivers...)

Same difference - if the only way you can get the WC in HD is to get cable/sky, then there's no way the BBC will do it. Doesn't matter whether it's on a BBC owned channel or not, the route to getting that for 99% of the population will be by getting Sky/cable installed. There's zero chance the BBC will aid a direct competitor in that manner.

As for freeview in London though: is there enough space left? HD bitrates are pretty hefty.

arfster said:
Same difference - if the only way you can get the WC in HD is to get cable/sky, then there's no way the BBC will do it. Doesn't matter whether it's on a BBC owned channel or not, the route to getting that for 99% of the population will be by getting Sky/cable installed. There's zero chance the BBC will aid a direct competitor in that manner.

As for freeview in London though: is there enough space left? HD bitrates are pretty hefty.

You are missing the point. The BBC have ALREADY formally announced anHD trial that will be on satellite, and compatible with Sky receivers, and also announced that it will be on Cable where possible, AND that they hope to use a spare RF channel currently unused for broadcast uses to carry a trial Freeview service within the London area.

The BBC HAVE to deliver HD via satellite in a manner compatible with Sky - to do otherwise would cause uproar. What the Beeb don't have to do is broadcast in a manner that is ONLY compatible with Sky - just as the current standard def BBC broadcasts can be broadcast in a manner that works with non-Sky receivers. (Apart from the Sky EPG - though the BBC and ITV are working on a non-proprietary EPG)

As for bitrates - the BBC will almost certainly be using MPEG4 - which compresses better than MPEG2 - and it is likely that the Beeb will trial 8k 64QAM rather than 2k 16QAM - which should provide around 24Mbs instead of 18Mbs in a mux. You could get 2x12Mbs HD services in MPEG4 potentially (better than 2x12Mbs in MPEG2)

Stephen Neal said:
You are missing the point. The BBC have ALREADY formally announced anHD trial that will be on satellite, and compatible with Sky receivers

But have not confirmed they will show the WC on it.
Even thought they had an opportunity this week they still said nothing about the WC in HD via satellite.

loz said:
But have not confirmed they will show the WC on it.
Even thought they had an opportunity this week they still said nothing about the WC in HD via satellite.

They haven't confirmed a start date for the trial. If they confirmed the World Cup would be broadcast by them in HD then de facto they would have announced the trial date as well.

I believe they are aiming for HD World Cup broadcasts, but are not leaving themselves hostage to fortune by announcing it and then having to retract.

Have Sky themselves set a launch date yet? If the BBC confirmed HD broadcasts, but Sky hadn't launched, there would be almost no MPEG4 receivers in homes, so it would make sense to delay wouldn't it? (After all the BBC wants as much feedback as possible within the duration of the trial I would imagine?)

The BBC may not have confirmed that they will be showing the World Cup in HD - but neither have they confirmed that they won't.

However any talk of the BBC "aiding a competitor" by broadcasting World Cup matches in HD via satellite is kind of missing the point of the new broadcasting world. Sky operate both channels and a platform - and in reality, they currently operate the ONLY satellite platform of any significance in the UK. If the BBC want to offer satellite services in HD, then they have to make them compatible with Sky receivers.

This is not the same thing as giving Sky channels free HD material - as the HD viewing is attributed to the BBC, not Sky, in audience research terms, after all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom