World Cup and Freeview

StinkyPete

Established Member
Reaction score
I heard the World Cup in Germany next year will be in HD, I would presume this will be on BBC and ITV, will this come through on freeview on the 42PE50 in HD, or will you need something extra.

its not being shown in HD on bbc or itv. in any case freeview cant handle HD resolutions at the moment, you would need sky at the least and sky dont have world cup coverage, now it might be shown on bbc or itv on sky, but we will wait and see

one other thing the 42pe50 isnt HD Ready anyway?

I know its not but it will accept the signal and scale it down a little.

The point is will we get the world cup in HD without having to pay SKY an arm and a leg

definitely not as the only way to have HD is sky HD box which is supposed to be £400 and $10 per month, but noone knows for sure

Only chance for world cup in HD for the UK (other than SKY) is to get an MPEG4 sat receiver and receive the german channels from Astra1. I would think that ARD and/or ZDF may show the odd game in HD as a public showcase.

Pace is having an MPEG4 receiver out but the one to have is apparently the dreambox 8000 (out early 06).

yeah but stinkypete was expecting Hd through freeview :rolleyes:

There's not enough bandwidth on Freeview to broadcast many HD channels anyway. Even so your PE50 doesn't have a HD Tuner. HD Footy on Freeview by next year....not a chance if you ask me.

So the only way anyone will get HD on a HD ready TV is through SKY HD, a new HD freeview box, or a a blue ray/HD dvd player.

Premiere, the German equivalent of Sky will be showing every World Cup game in HD. They launch HD officially in Novemeber.
For those who don't know the Premiere range of channels are availible on Astra 19.2 deg, so all of you who still ave your old Sky analogue dish up, don't take it down yet, buy a Premiere box and enjoy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom