WORLD CUP 2018 - Is it ULTRA HD ON Satellite?

gbmitie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I thought by now there would be some information on the upcoming World Cup Footie 2018 and its availability as ULTRAHD via satellite but I see nothing.

Should it become available can anyone recommend a good UHD sat box and a good 4K tv to go with it?

The iPlayer UHD streams will be limited to the first 10,000 people (IIRC) to log into them - first come first served.

With regards to 42e and TRT. I missed out on this during the euro's due to next door being in the way. A bulldozer rental has remedied that situation so i will be hoping to watch the ITV matches plus any BBC matches which i fail to get access via the iplayer app on this bird. My question is to anyone who watched the euro's, did they have alternative audio options? not expecting english but hopefull of maybe stadium audio?

Not a big deal really as I can just sync the comms from my sky q box and have that playing through my receiver but to be honest i do actually prefer just the stadium audio

cheers

Hope you didn't knock anything down next door with the bulldozer....

Plenty of trees & a few chimneys have disappeared in the name of satellite reception, (one chimney weighed 2-3 tonnes & is now a rather fetching garden wall & a couple of brick bar b que's with an ample wood supply).

It's a bit stupid that the easiest way to watch the world cup in UHD here in the UK is to watch TRT 4k. rights holders, driving people to alternatives. :eek:

That's BBC iplayer seems to be hope and pray you buy the right one, then manage to be one of the Lucky 10,000 , Would it really kill the BBC/ITV to collaborate and put up a UHD channel for the world cup on satellite!

Last edited:
It's a bit stupid that the easiest way to watch the world cup in UHD here in the UK is to watch TRT 4k

That's BBC iplayer for ya.

I agree, i think its stupid that the public broadcasters for both Turkey and even Portugal can find the capacity to host the channel but BBC and the UK can't. That said BBC iplayer when working does look better than the SDR on TRT

cheers

23.5e NPO UHD in HDR or SDR?

im making do with the FOX feed 24mbit HD. The BBC and ITV so called HD pq is

I agree, i think its stupid that the public broadcasters for both Turkey and even Portugal can find the capacity to host the channel but BBC and the UK can't. That said BBC iplayer when working does look better than the SDR on TRT

cheers
yeah add German, France and The Netherlands to the World Cup via satellite :(

time to vote with my wallet and cancel my tv licence

Last edited:
I wasn't impressed with the 4k HLG stream from iPlayer.

-Occasional stuttering - on a 200Mb connection
-Totally washed out colours, looked like the contrast was way off
-Looked pretty sharp but in all honesty I couldn't really tell a whole lot of difference when on the sofa, plus the washed out picture ruined it.

Just went back to Freesat, looks great at 1080i (but I wish they broadcast at 1080p).

I wasn't impressed with the 4k HLG stream from iPlayer.

-Occasional stuttering - on a 200Mb connection
-Totally washed out colours, looked like the contrast was way off
-Looked pretty sharp but in all honesty I couldn't really tell a whole lot of difference when on the sofa, plus the washed out picture ruined it.

Just went back to Freesat, looks great at 1080i (but I wish they broadcast at 1080p).

Why do you think it will look superior in 1080P ? If they did you it's most likely you couldn't watch it anyway along with virtually every other viewer. If you have Sky-HD, Freesat or most generic fta satellite kit then you would get nothing.

Only Freeview-HD supports 1080p but only at 25fps (1080p25). There are no broadcast sources (satellite 28.2E) or Freeview at 1080p50. About the only source is a HD camcorder. Sky-Q boxes can de-interlace and frame double to 1080P50, as can the 2nd generation Freesat boxes. Any difference in quality is purely down to your TV/Set Top Box Video processing quality.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom