World Cup 2006 / HD

andyTT

Standard Member
Reaction score
Do we know for sure that the World Cup will be filmed in HD and that Sky will have sorted their act out by then??

There has been lots of speculation but I have not seen an official message.

I seem to remember less than 2 years ago Euro 2004 (portugal) was filmed in 4:3 and we did not even get widescreen (remember the beer bars on the side of the screen). Who is responsible for filming this years World Cup?? if its the host nations TV company (as in Euro 2004) who knows what we will get!!!

Just an thought........

Err, I could be wrong, but normally the World Cup is divied up between BBC and ITV. No room at this table for Sky, so I wouldn't expect anything from the World Cup to be broadcast on Sky Sports HD,...I'd love to be proved wrong though!

As a manager of a Home Cinema / HIfi shop , i've only heard one thing.

That Sony and SKY have struck a deal , when the world cup is on we will only be allowed to display the world cup on Sony Bravia screens in store.

I'm guessing this means the world cup will be in HD.

djbolf said:
As a manager of a Home Cinema / HIfi shop , i've only heard one thing.

That Sony and SKY have struck a deal , when the world cup is on we will only be allowed to display the world cup on Sony Bravia screens in store.

I'm guessing this means the world cup will be in HD.

Thats an interesting statement....when you say "allowed", by who? Sky? Sony?

And I'm not sure how you make the link between that and the format in which the World Cup will be transmitted?

rudy said:
Can freeview boxes transmit HD?

Nicely OT, rudy! :rolleyes:

To answer your question, no, Freeview boxes cannot RECEIVE HD (nor can the transmit it, but I don't think thats actually what you meant).

Please use the search facility to look for the answers to your questions before posting off-topic in someone elses thread :)

daKlone said:
Thats an interesting statement....when you say "allowed", by who? Sky? Sony?

And I'm not sure how you make the link between that and the format in which the World Cup will be transmitted?

Ok , i'll rephrase.

In order for sky to install hd in stores for demo , we have to sign a contract stipulating we will only display HD transmissions on Bravia screens.
I have nothing in black and white as of yet , but heard this rumour from the top.

Read into it what you will?

andyTT said:
I seem to remember less than 2 years ago Euro 2004 (portugal) was filmed in 4:3 and we did not even get widescreen (remember the beer bars on the side of the screen). Who is responsible for filming this years World Cup?? if its the host nations TV company (as in Euro 2004) who knows what we will get!!!

that was the Euro cup in portugal. this is the WORLD cup in GERMANY. theres a big difference.

djbolf
id presume thats because SKY has a contract with Sony now to Flog tellys with HD boxes ;)

The problem I see is the equipment in the stadiums.

Watching Euro matches on Sky currently is APPAULING. The pictures are rarely widescreen and the picture quality is as bad as VHS.

Hopefully, with it being in Germany (early HD adopters) and being the World Cup we will see some decent equipment used.

djbolf said:
Ok , i'll rephrase.

In order for sky to install hd in stores for demo , we have to sign a contract stipulating we will only display HD transmissions on Bravia screens.
I have nothing in black and white as of yet , but heard this rumour from the top.

Read into it what you will?

Now I get you :thumbsup:

An interesting tid-bit, but I don't know if it tells us anything about World Cup plans. Sounds more like just a deal between Sky and Sony - Sky ensure that they have a "decent" TV to show off their HD with and Sony get their name associated with cutting-edge broadcasting.

shaithis said:
The problem I see is the equipment in the stadiums.

Watching Euro matches on Sky currently is APPAULING. The pictures are rarely widescreen and the picture quality is as bad as VHS.

Hopefully, with it being in Germany (early HD adopters) and being the World Cup we will see some decent equipment used.

There is no problem with content aquisition - every single World Cup match will be filmed in HD and will be available in HD from German broadcaster Premiere.

So it's up to the BBC/ITV if they have the money to pay for it and the infrastructure to broadcast it...oh dear, doesn't sound promising, does it?

andyTT said:
Do we know for sure that the World Cup will be filmed in HD and that Sky will have sorted their act out by then??

There has been lots of speculation but I have not seen an official message.

Just an thought........

Yes the World Cup will be filmed in HD and Euro1080 will show it but if they show it to individuals and in the UK is another issue.

Hopeful the BBC and Sky will come to some agreement.

HD http://www.euro1080.tv/pdf/Newsletter1.pdf

Here's the HD World Cup Deal - FACT!

World cup will be filmed and broadcast live in HD.

Euro 1080 (who cover UK, Ireland, etc.) will broadcasts it live. The only way you can get this channel is with a decent sized (80cm min i think) sat dish and a HD receiver. You also need a viewing card which has a one-off cost of £45. The only problem is that Euro 1080 will show it on their HD2 channel, which is encrypted like Sky. This is to allow them to block content to certain countries when they aren't allowed to broadcast. Currently Euro 1080 have the rights to broadcast the world cup in HD in Ireland but not in the rest of UK. It is unlikely that the BBC and ITV will let Euro1080 broadcast HD world cup live in the rest of UK as they own the rights. However, if they do you will get the world cup in HD via Euro1080. You may get the odd match on Euro1080 here as they will have to broadcast on their un-encrypted HD1 channel when there are 2 matches going on at once. Unlikely they will show any england games on HD1 though!

Apparently Sky are talking with the BBC and ITV about showing HD world-cup live. Hopefully they can reach a deal but it is likely to cost Sky a lot of £££'s and will likely be limited to certain matches.

If there is no deal there are 3 options

a) go to anywhere in Ireland that show Euro1080 and have a HD tv or projector.

b) contact me by email to [email protected] and await details of my world cup games which i will be showing in HD in a lovely warehouse in sunny Birmingham.

c) contact some sort of illegal type fellow and get hold of the equipment to decode Euro1080 so you can watch their encrypted channel in the UK!

Sorry i cant say more but i keep getting warnings about my illegal banter and swearing!

Or as I already mentioned, if you're flush and really want to ensure a HD World Cup - buy a Premiere box and card (about £600 IIRC) and sit back. You'll have to put up with German commentary however...

daKlone said:
Or as I already mentioned, if you're flush and really want to ensure a HD World Cup - buy a Premiere box and card (about £600 IIRC) and sit back. You'll have to put up with German commentary however...

Do they transmit from the same satelite as Sky? i.e. could you plug your Premiere box into a spare LNB on your Sky dish?

Nope, they are at 19.2E, Astra 1. So you'd need a larger dish (ie not a Sky minidish) and another LNB in addition to your Sky one.

daKlone said:
Now I get you :thumbsup:

An interesting tid-bit, but I don't know if it tells us anything about World Cup plans. Sounds more like just a deal between Sky and Sony - Sky ensure that they have a "decent" TV to show off their HD with and Sony get their name associated with cutting-edge broadcasting.

Very much like the deal Samsung and MS struck for the 360 launch. Personally I think Sky has made a better choice than MS did.

daKlone said:
Nicely OT, rudy! :rolleyes:

To answer your question, no, Freeview boxes cannot RECEIVE HD (nor can the transmit it, but I don't think thats actually what you meant).

Please use the search facility to look for the answers to your questions before posting off-topic in someone elses thread :)

i was looking at the possibilty that BBC or ITV may be transmitting the world cup in HD hence the relevant question. ****.

Check out the T3 website....it looks like the BBC is itching to braodcast the World Cup in HD.

rudy said:
i was looking at the possibilty that BBC or ITV may be transmitting the world cup in HD hence the relevant question. ****.

You didn't make that apparent in your post, hence the OT comment.

I really don't think that swearing at people who have taken the time to answer your question (even though it appears OT) is very polite, do you? :nono:

The BBC test HD service will be broadcasting on Astra by then, and will be "simulcasting major events". I would think that the BBC's set of World Cup games would therefore be FTA and accessible with a Sky+HD box.

Thats great! Second bit of good news this week regarding HD!(First being i can use my 'not HD ready' tv with sky HD box)

:D Want to know how to watch the world cup in High Def????

Go and watch the game live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cant get better than that!!!!!:D :D :D

tony79 said:
Go and watch the game live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cant get better than that!!!!!:D :D :D

HD is better. ;)

Seriously though watching at home...
Replays are better.
Company is better.
You can drink.
Hide behind sofa will England get knocked out on penalties.
Temperature is controlled.
Cheaper... maybe... come on Sky HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom