World cricket all rounder rankings

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Ian J, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The latest world rankings have Andrew Flintoff moving up to second place after Jacques Kallis which I think is a bit of a travesty.

Kallis is a fine batsman even if it seems that he plays more for himself than the team and he is currently rated at number 3 in the world which in my opinion is a little too high.

He used to be a great opening bowler too but nowadays he's lost much of his zip and sparkle and is a very reluctant bowler operating as second change.

The traditional definition of an allrounder is someone that would get into the team either as a bowler or as a batsman and not only is Kallis a part time bowler nowadays but I doubt whether he would get into any Test team as a a bowler at all.

Not only is Andrew Flintoff the greatest all rounder in world cricket at the moment but no-one else even approaches him.

end of moan

2. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,738
    Thanks for that. A bit of a travesty is probably an understatement, more like a scandal. Watching Kallis bowling over the last couple of years he has become just a filler bowler. Flintoff would most certainly get into every team as a front line bowler.

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +555
    Over what period do the world rankings count?....isn't it normally something like 3 years or so??

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    Jack Who? :confused:

I'd personally have Freddie as the most influential player in test cricket at the moment....regardless. :thumbsup:

5. RoNaLdiNhO

RoNaLdiNhO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    To my knowledge stats dont lie that is why he is up there. I agree with you he is not as good as he was. I remember watching him when the worldcup was here in england he was amazing opening bowler for SA.

6. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    He's taken nearly 192 Test Wickets and has scored 7572 runs at an average of 56.50. Flintoff has taken 167 wickets and scored 3030 runs at an average of 33.66.

His bowling is on the decline but you can't argue with his career stats. Comparing them in their prime, Flintoff is probably a better bowler but Kallis would be the better batsman. There haven't been many all-rounders who've consistently batted as high as Kallis in the order.

They are both superb players but with those kind of stats, Kallis has to be classed as an all-rounder. He even tops the SA bowling averages for the current series against the Aussies.

7. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,738
    Ian j, could you put the list up please.

I have been thinking about this and it seems there is a shortage of quality all rounders at the moment. I can only think of pollock. Reasonable all rounders, vaas maybe, afridi, warne.......

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The ratings are here

I am not disagreeing that Jacques Kallis was at one time unquestionably the best all rounder in the world but the rankings are supposed to reflect current and recent performance and Kallis has been eclipsed well and truly in the last year by Flintoff.

Kallis has a much better recent batting record and my point is that this is skewing the allrounder rankings and it could therefore be argued that Shane Warne who is only classified as a bowler could also be up there with the top allrounders in that table as his recent batting exploits must be the equal of Kallis's recent bowling figures.

9. RoNaLdiNhO

RoNaLdiNhO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

I dont think so Ian i'd rather have it like the way it is in cricket. Unlike in footie were fifa keep messing about with out the rankings are worked out and the U.S are the 4th best side in the world? i think not. Think if you and 3 series in a row agaist bangladesh/zimbabwe/west indies (although they dont seem to bad now) someone could have a good series agaist all of them and be rated the best player in the world. not right.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It doesn't work that way as the points are weighted rather like a handicap system. Scoring a century in Perth against Australia is worth more points than Trescothick's double century last year at home against Bangladesh.

I don't know what period the points accumulate from but I think that it's too long. As an example Shane Warne was still ranked in the top ten bowlers in the world after he had been banned for a year and therefore hadn't played at all and others still appear there over a year after they have retired.

Getting back to Jacques Kallis he had a phenomenal year in 2005 with the bat resulting in him winnning the Test Cricketer of the Year award. He seemed to be scoring centuries in every game that he played and his high position in the world batting ratings is richly deserved but my point is that to be the world's best all rounder he needs to contribute more with the ball.

Andrew Flintoff was one of the most influential players in the succesful Ashes series and he won some games for us with his bowling and others with his batting which is the mark of a true all rounder.

In India he scored 50 runs in five out his six innings and also took 11 wickets and was awarded the Man of the Series

11. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    "Opener Matt Prior allowed Pietersen centre stage in a stand of 53 but became the first of five England batsmen to fall to the sweep, four of which came against Harbhajan."

It's good to see we got out of the habbit ..... er ... oh wait, no we didn't. When are we going to learn?

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Words fail me :mad:

For a start the team selection was all wrong. Ian Bell top scored in the warm up game so was dropped in favour of Matt Prior. The hero of the last test was Sean Udal who is a reasonable spinner as well as a capable batsman so we played Ian Blackwell instead who is a left arm dobbler and lower order slogger.

The Indians must have been fairly confident as they didn't even bother with a fifth bowler deciding instead that one of their batsmen who didn't bowl a single over in the Test matches would be good enough to see off England's finest - and they were right.

How can Duncan Fletcher who is one of the canniest coaches in Test cricket get it so wrong in the One day game.