Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

World cinema sale at HMV

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Markmw, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Markmw

Markmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has been posted before, but wandered into local HMV at lunch. They are doing a sale on some world cinema titles - basically half price. Picked a few BFI Kurosawas for a tenner each.

The website seems to mirror these prices.

The James Bond tin was also down to £99.99

2. AequitasVeritas

AequitasVeritas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I noticed those Kurosawa movies for £10 too.

Didn't see anything else interesting for sale in world cinema unfortunately, probably end up buying something though, as they hardly ever have sales on world cinema or anime.

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Went in today after this recommendation. Picked up Murnau's "Faust", "Throne of Blood" - a Kurosawa that I was missing, and "The Happiness of the Katakuris" - which I have bought sight-unseen purely because I had to after seeing the cover and reading the blurb.

Biggest scoop though by Jean Renoir's "La Regle de Jeu" - one of my all time favourite movies, ever - which (deep shame :eek: ) I was totally unaware of having a UK release. Made my day if not my year!

And for just under a tenner too! :smashin:

4. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got “Happiness of the Katakuris” in this sale too. It’s a great film – provided you like Japanese Musical Zombie movies that is! :)

Also got “The Spirit of the Beehive” and “Partie de Campagne”.

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Saw "Spirit of the Beehive", but couldn't see any screen ratio info on it. Is it presented in the correct aspect ratio?

Didn't notice "Partie de Campagne" - another gem.

6. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it’s in 1.33:1 original aspect ratio. There’s a very good review of the disc on www.dvdbeaver.com It is an excellent transfer.

I got my discs online – "Partie" was £9.99 but strangely enough I don’t think it’s officially part of the sale!!

7. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmv Sales Big ripp off same dvd's will be there next in the buy one get one free but the price will be £19.99 also you could more than likely find a dvd of your choice on the the web in another shop cheeper than HMv same goes for Virgin aswell

8. Markmw

Markmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uncaged - normally I would agree with you re rip-off, but this sale is for "world cinema" DVDs. These sales are not that common for the big chains, and rarely are they half price.

If you can find BFI Kurosawa films anywhere for less than a tenner, then please let us know! Best online price I can find is £14.

I thought I got lucky when I ordered a few from Splash for £10.99, but look what happened there :(