World Athletics Championships

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to love watching Athletics, from the home trials to international events to every midweek meeting around Europe.

Not a great deal to watch in recent years, however, nipping out of work today to watch the ladies 400m final was a great idea.

Did anyone see it? What a race! Great Britain Gold & Silver with times neither of them had been anywhere near before + doing the favourite literally on the line. Great stuff :thumbsup: First GB womens Gold for 14 years & first GB 1-2 for 14 years.

Although Christine Ohuruogu might not be everyone's cup of tea due to her previous 12 month ban.

Like most people I am only interested in the men's 100m

But after Gatlin, tbh I couldn't care less about athletics at the moment. In my eyes the only one below it at the moment is cycling which says a lot

Like most people I am only interested in the men's 100m

But after Gatlin, tbh I couldn't care less about athletics at the moment. In my eyes the only one below it at the moment is cycling which says a lot

All the mens events have certain interest - 200, 400 etc....USAs 400m team this year is out of this world, could see a relay world record

Aw, DJT mate... I nearly laughed my nuts off when Steve Cram talking after the race, about the winner, alleged drugs cheat, Christine Ohuruogu..."That result is an injection in the arm for British Athletics! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ... frigging priceless! :D

Aw, DJT mate... I nearly laughed my nuts off when Steve Cram talking after the race, about the winner, alleged drugs cheat, Christine Ohuruogu..."That result is an injection in the arm for British Athletics! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ... frigging priceless! :D

Damn missed that as I rushed off back to work :rotfl:

I have seen almost all of the action in this year's championships, due to being unexpectedly off work for the week.

I have LOVED every minute of it - without especially caring about British hopes...:rolleyes:

My highlights so far:
Long jump final: awesome climax with Andrew Howe of Italy gaining gold position with his final jump, going absolutely nuts in celebration ("I'M THE BEST! I'M THE BEST!!!"), only for the top guy Saladino to come back with the final jump in the contest and take back the gold position...
(Did anyone else see this? The crowd went absolutely WILD!)

110m hurdles: Liu Xhang wins, nice to see someone from outwith the traditional superpowers winning (although I know Xhang is the number one at this event so he's no outsider), great race with Xhang winning out in lane 9 and great celebration afterwards.

The great camera work that I don't think we used to get in "the old days". I love the tracking shots you get in the sprints when the 200m runners and relay runners are on the bend...

Disappointed that Asafa Powell choked in the 100m but nice to see him devour the American runner in the final leg of the 4x100m relay. Hope Jamaica win this tomorrow and Powell avenges his loss to Tyson Gay in the solo 100m.

As ever, Michael Johnson's insightful and no-BS analysis in the studio really cuts to the heart of what is going on, both on the track and in the athletes' minds...

Really enjoying all the action so far and looking forward to the relay finals over the next 24 hours or so.:smashin:

I have seen almost all of the action in this year's championships, due to being unexpectedly off work for the week.

I have LOVED every minute of it - without especially caring about British hopes...:rolleyes:

My highlights so far:
Long jump final: awesome climax with Andrew Howe of Italy gaining gold position with his final jump, going absolutely nuts in celebration ("I'M THE BEST! I'M THE BEST!!!"), only for the top guy Saladino to come back with the final jump in the contest and take back the gold position...
(Did anyone else see this? The crowd went absolutely WILD!)

110m hurdles: Liu Xhang wins, nice to see someone from outwith the traditional superpowers winning (although I know Xhang is the number one at this event so he's no outsider), great race with Xhang winning out in lane 9 and great celebration afterwards.

The great camera work that I don't think we used to get in "the old days". I love the tracking shots you get in the sprints when the 200m runners and relay runners are on the bend...

Disappointed that Asafa Powell choked in the 100m but nice to see him devour the American runner in the final leg of the 4x100m relay. Hope Jamaica win this tomorrow and Powell avenges his loss to Tyson Gay in the solo 100m.

As ever, Michael Johnson's insightful and no-BS analysis in the studio really cuts to the heart of what is going on, both on the track and in the athletes' minds...

Really enjoying all the action so far and looking forward to the relay finals over the next 24 hours or so.:smashin:

Missed all of today, stuck in office.

Glad to hear the Yanks aren't definite for 4x100 gold, although Powell never pulls it off whne he needs to.

Liu Xhang was always gonna win & is a breath of fresh air in the hurdles. Did you see the look he gave the guy who false-started in the semi :)

Long Jump final was superb, especially as Howe only went 1cm better only to be stuff by another 10 of so moments later, but he took it very well to be honest.

Johnson's probably the best pundit on TV, no-ones knows their sport better & know one can touch him as a track athete IMO.

Yanks in 4x400 should clear the field by 100m this weekend

Just seen the result for the 400m :eek:- Geeeeez Jeremy Wariner is getting dangerously close to Johnson's world record now!

Anyone see Asafa Powell running in Italy yesterday? New World Record of 9.74sec in the heats!! :eek: & he slowed up massively:eek:. Then 9.78sec in the final :eek:

Was almost as predictable a WR as Gatlin last year in Doha.

Shame Powell hasn't learnt that athletics is about competition and not time trialling.

Was almost as predictable a WR as Gatlin last year in Doha.

Shame Powell hasn't learnt that athletics is about competition and not time trialling.

Except Gatlin then failed a drugs test ;)

Powell just freezes when it comes to big finals

The Gatlin reference was with him talking up a world record specifically in that race as Powell was for yesterday and lo and behold it happens at a small meet with no pressure.

The competition reference was more to the issue that Powell did not want to run against Gay last Friday in Zurich and as quoted by himeself wanted a fast time.

Just seen the result for the 400m :eek:- Geeeeez Jeremy Wariner is getting dangerously close to Johnson's world record now!

The difference in distance is still probably 2 or 3 meters. He has a way to go yet but he'll probably beat it eventually

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom