World at War breaks 11 million

goldwater666

Established Member
Reaction score
This is from the COD site

Last week marked the release of the Call of Duty: World at War DLC, Map Pack 2; following the stellar performance of Map Pack 1, which has sold over 2 Million units!
We're also very excited to announce that Call of Duty: World at War has surpassed 11 Million units sold since it launched in November of 2008!
These outstanding feats would have never been possible without the continued dedication and support from all of the loyal Call of Duty fans. For that, we at Treyarch and Activision would like to extend our sincerest Thank You. We're honored and humbled to have one of the greatest online communities in video game history behind our products!

====================================

11 million units in 7 months is some going - COD4 sold "just" 12 million in 17 months.(as at March 09) - the "just" is Ironic, not a slight on the game

COD6 MW2 is to beat both?

Modern Warfare 2 to sell 11.1 million in two months - Analyst - News at GameSpot

Last edited:
I think COD4 "just" sold 12 million in 17 months for at least a couple of reasons:

COD3 (by Treyach) was appalling :D
People may of been unsure of a modern warefare theme :eek:
The PS3 fan base was relatively small
It was released when HALO & GOW were THE FPSs to own.

I think also of the 11 milllion WaW purchases a minimum of 8 million was on the back of COD4 :D:mad:

And Modern Warefare 2 will out sell any FPS released to date :smashin:

I think COD4 "just" sold 12 million in 17 months for at least a couple of reasons:

I think also of the 11 milllion WaW purchases a minimum of 8 million was on the back of COD4 :D:mad:

Agree on all your points above.

Another thing worth noting is COD4 is STILL in the PS3 top 10 sellers week on week - number 7 this week I think - WaW is outside the top 10 :rolleyes:

Agree on all your points above.

Another thing worth noting is COD4 is STILL in the PS3 top 10 sellers week on week - number 7 this week I think - WaW is outside the top 10 :rolleyes:

COD4 has had a revival in the last couple of months for clans aswell. Theres more active GB & CG COD4 clans than WaW and KZ2 combined :eek:

I wouldn't be suprised if MW2 sells 5 million units by the end of 2009 then easily passing 15 million before the next Call Of Duty. Still don't know how WAW has sold many units. Looks like people still have a place on thier shelf for ANOTHER WWII game.

WAW is definately the best WW2 FPS.... not quite as good as modern warfare but still an excellent FPS and both of them definite HALO 3 beaters.

Yep, just what I was going to say.

WAW is definately the best WW2 FPS.... not quite as good as modern warfare but still an excellent FPS and both of them definite HALO 3 beaters.

Very true.

Unfortunate for Treyach that Infinity Ward went the modern warefare route.

Also HALO 3 was dire :D

I said sold "just" 12 million as an ironic comment on the success of its sales - not as a dig at Cod4.....an attempt at humour foiled again by the inability of print to convey suitably the nuances of subtle irony:rolleyes: (or something like that:smashin:)

Very true.

Unfortunate for Treyach that Infinity Ward went the modern warefare route.

Also HALO 3 was dire :D

even more fortunate for Treyarch that they got to use the Infinity ward game engine. Who knows what mess they would have made if they had used thier own:eek:

Lets hope IW have been paying attention to the profitability / demand for DLC and bring map packs out for MW2 :clap:

I said sold "just" 12 million as an ironic comment on the success of its sales - not as a dig at Cod4.....an attempt at humour foiled again by the inability of print to convey suitably the nuances of subtle irony:rolleyes: (or something like that:smashin:)

That's how I read it :smashin:

even more fortunate for Treyarch that they got to use the Infinity ward game engine. Who knows what mess they would have made if they had used thier own:eek:

Lets hope IW have been paying attention to the profitability / demand for DLC and bring map packs out for MW2 :clap:

I'm sure there will be at least 2 dlcs. WaW sold 2 million units of dlc1 @ £8 each :eek: .....that's a lotta beer (at least a weekends worth) :D

Pretty hard to believe that it's sold 11 million copies considering there' s just over 100k online at one time :rolleyes:

Ah, but its got flashing name graphics:smashin:

Pretty hard to believe that it's sold 11 million copies considering there' s just over 100k online at one time :rolleyes:

11 million copies over all platforms and 100k on PSN:rolleyes:

The commonly held assumption is that around 30% do not go online across all platforms.

Forecast for COD6 / MW2(it always be COD6 to me:D) are at 25 million total sales:clap:

11 million copies over all platforms and 100k on PSN:rolleyes:

The commonly held assumption is that around 30% do not go online across all platforms.

Forecast for COD6 / MW2(it always be COD6 to me:D) are at 25 million total sales:clap:

Doh my bad, forgot to step out of my PS3 cocoon and realise that WAW is cross platform plus PC.

MW2 is going to be in a league of it's own re sales :D

I was in Asda the other day, and they are selling WAW for £25 and MW for £37 still. Tells me which is still the most popular.
Think a lot of the WAW sales were due to MW. Think MW2 will sell as many as both of them added together though.
Hope it lives up to expectations, as personally, I cannot blooming wait for it!:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom