Workout Plan Opinions

JamieB95

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

New here but I'm hoping to gather some advice and tips on the workout plan I conjured up below. It's something I've already been doing for a few months and I am seeing progress, but I'm keen to hear any thoughts on it based on my goals and current stance.

I'm currently 25, no health conditions and my weight is average but my current fitness is low ... possibly to do with the sedentary life style and 9-5 office job. 🤔 My overall goal is to reach fitness standards to join the Fire Service, ideally at some point next year.

This means the dreaded Beep Test which I need a minimum of 8.8 (Although I fully intend to go beyond and reach the highest possible), my last test I got 6.0 and my goal is to get as high as possible in the next 6 months. A few months ago prior to me doing this plan, I was on 5.4 so there has been improvement. However, I need to build muscle too in general which I can confirm... I am lacking!

With that in mind, my current plan is as follows:

Monday:
HIIT which consists of a 5 minute light jog.
Followed by 30 second sprint, and a 1 minute walk/light jog interval which will repeat 13 times.
It concludes with a 5 minute light jog. On the sprints, I'll just push myself to my absolute limit.

Tuesday:
I focus on strength training during this time and will do the following:
Flat Barbell Press (4 sets, 3 reps @ 40kg)
Dumbell Overhead Press (4 sets, 4 reps)
Plank (3 sets, max)
Push Ups (3 sets, max)

Wednesday:
HIIT again, same process as Monday: consists of a 5 minute light jog.
Followed by 30 second sprint, and a 1 minute walk/light jog interval which will repeat 13 times.
It concludes with a 5 minute light jog.

Thursday:
Lunges (3 sets, 4 reps, 10kg each hand)
Dumbell Squat (4 sets, 8 reps, 10kg each hand)
Side Raises (3 sets, 3 reps, 10kg each hand)
Calf Raise (5 sets, 10 reps, 10kg each hand)
Chin Ups (4 x max)

Friday:
I'll tend to treat this as an recovery day, but I do 'Farmers Walk' a few times with 10kg weights in each hand.
This is primarily done so I can use it as practicing for strengthening my grip.

Saturday:
Cross Country Run which I'll currently do for 30 minutes.

Sunday:
Rest Day

I won't pretend to have a clue what I'm doing, but I've spent a lot of time researching and putting things together so I'm hoping this doesn't get ripped to shreds. My concern was whether I'm not resting enough, but I think the way I've done it gives the muscles I had used the previous days, a rest, whilst focusing on other ones. If that's advisable? I've not come across any injuries yet but I'm not sure if that's just dumb luck.

I'm unsure whether there's something I should be doing, or shouldn't be doing, based on my plan above. If I get new information, I've tried to adapt to it. I'm not sure whether I need to be doing longer runs as to whether my 30 minute session is enough, on top of the two HIITs, etc.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Jamie

May I suggest a different approach?

Your primary motivator here is to get in to the Fire Service.

So find out EXACTLY what their requirements are (I'm sure it's more that just the bleep test), and train those.

We get better at what we challenge, so challenge yourself with the actual testing you'll be taking.

That way you won't wonder if you are wearing your time doing bench and planks instead of training what you will be tested on.

Where are you doing your strength training? Have you trained before? If just starting out I would strongly suggest full body two or three times per week. Lose the calf raises, side raises, plank etc. Stick to big, compound lifts. But this might be tricky if you're training at home. Even so, I think it could be improved.

Happy to chat more if helpful. I've trained on and off for 15 years.

I agree with the other two responses. Find out what the requirements are, and start from there.

I've had a quick look, and what could be very useful is training Strongman, so if you have a Strongman gym near you, then look into popping in. Plenty of training you can do on your own with various odd objects, but you want someone to show you correct technique first. If you can't find Strongman, Crossfit would be helpful too.

If you can't get to a gym then get a weighted vest to train in, and some heavier weights - a sandbag could be very relevant and is versatile. Some assessments will require you to lug 55kg around, so your 2 x 10kg dumbbells are not adequate. As a comparison, I'm a petite female in my 30s with pretty crap grip strength and tiny hands and would do farmers carry for 50m with minimum 16kg in each hand. Often with 20kg. For sandbag carries and over the shoulders I use 30-40kg.

Don't jump straight in with heavier weights though, you need to build up, but you will outgrow 10kg dumbbells very quickly! If you think about some everyday objects, 10kg isn't far off what we shift around in life anyway, but for some reason when it's in a 'workout' setting they feel big and heavy.

Not sure if it will help, but I am 34, 5'10", 164 lbs. This is my routine for my 4 day upper/lower split that I do. The numbers in parenthesis are the DB or kettlebell weights in lbs. I am broke so I have to make do with lighter weights lol. Edit* I mix up circuits and sets from time to time to shock myself a little. For the upper body I did a circuit yesterday, but doing them as straight sets x3 is also good.

Upper Body:
10 min warmup

30 min training: Circuits x3

(35) KB SH Press x10
(50) SA DB Row x10
(BW) Push-ups x20
(10s) Rear Delt Fly x15
(25) Triceps Ext x10
(25s) Shrugs x15

10 min cooldown

Lower Body:
10 min. Warmup

40 min Training:
(50) Gob. Squat 3*12
(50) SL Rom. DL 3*10
(25s) Static Lunge 3*10
AB Crunch 3*20
Flutter Kicks 3*30 secs
Heel Taps 3*30
Climbing Crunch 3*30

10 min. Cooldown

As other have said it important to know what you have to achieve for the fire service. If, for example, you are already more than capable of the carido aspect this is little point in doing too much cardio so perhaps one lighter and 1 harder session a week.

For all round body strength you are probably better off focusing on exercise like Squats, Deadlifts and Press variations. However, if you need to do chins or anything like that for your test or later on training then clearly there is value in training those specifically.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom