working with hd video

Favero

Novice Member
Reaction score
It's been quite a while since I edited and have got a Panasonic HC-X900M camcorder I use to film what is now a lot of footage to work with. I film in 1080p but reviewing it on Premiere cs6 the footage even when rendered staggers badly. Is there a solution to edit and review fluidly on my PC. I have what I consider to be a decent PC. 16gb ddr3 ram with an i7 cpu. Was considering getting an black magic capture card. Will this do the job? Thanks

Welcome to the forum Favero :hiya:

Another possible solution - keep CS6, your scratch disk and the video files on separate HDD's as sometime the disk controller can have too much data to work with when they are all on the same drive.
Selecting Scratch Disks | Customizing the Way You Work in Photoshop CS6 | Que

Also make sure that the HDD's have plenty of free space and they are defragmented - large video files can quickly end up spread over large sections of the hard drive, more so when space is low.

Mark.

+1 for the 'convert to intraframe' solution. The highly compressed AVCHD format used by modern camcorders is really not designed for editing... and the various editing software platforms offer different 'tricks' to try and make the format easier to work with.
Converting to an 'intraframe' format makes the files much easier to edit.... almost like working with DV footge in the 'old days'. The 'downside' is large working files (which you don't need to keep after your final edit of course)
As examples, both Grass Valley HQX and Cineform HD codecs are now freeware, and will give you high quality intraframe files to work with....

Might still be worth moving your scratch disk.

I see no reason for a capture device as you are not having any issues getting the video off the camcorder and onto the PC.

Mark.

So getting a capture card like Black Magic's Intensity Pro 4k would be a waste of time perhaps?

Yup, waste of time.-- As Mark says, no reason if your footage is already on your computer.

To 'edit and review fluidly' as you say in your first post, convert the mts or .m2ts footage already on your PC to an intraframe format, as suggested above. Much less demanding of computing power... and editing and review will be much more fluid.

And a lot cheaper (free!) than buying an unnecessary 'capture card'....

What's your graphics card? Premiere uses the CUDA cores of a graphics card (if present) to playback video. Using software acceleration will make playback much harder for Premiere than giving it, say, a GTX470.

Agree with Doug - I think I spent almost as much on my NVidea CUDA enabled graphics card as I did on processor - well worth it as I do pretty much the same as you - record in full 50P (on X900) and then straight edit the HD - but in Sony Movie Studio. Creates files without any loss and is smooth / very fast in the edits etc. Then store final movie on Synology NAS for viewing on TV / network etc. Then I use Nero Video to render down and create / burn to DVD for family (or those who can't access my NAS). I've never regretted the video card purchase - hardware acceleration is way better than software solutions in my opinion. But if on a budget then software as suggested by GLT.
Good luck and enjoy the editing.

I use Edius Pro 7. No need for proxy files, just raw mts straight from the camera. 'Edits anything' as their tagline says. Also renders to HD/blu ray using the i7 Haswell encoder at super fast speeds. No need for a high end graphics card unless you're into 3R fx.

Completely forgot to add, you can change the playback quality in the source/record window's options menus. It's probably on Full at the mo, so stick it to half and see if it works. Thus doesn't affect the quality of the final export.

Also, there have been a lot of system and stability improvements from CS6 to CC... If you can upgrade, it's a much nicer system to use now!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom