Working under pressure

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nonumb, Jan 11, 2012.

?
  1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    So who works best under pressure and who likes it to be more relaxed?

Personally I work best under pressure. I wrote an essay for uni and had quite a while to write it. I didn't really write a lot for weeks then in the 2 days before it was due in I wrote 90% of it. I got the 80% and the top mark in the class despite others doing it over a long period. I work much better if I can get into the mindset of doing it and hit it hard and fast.

It annoys me sometimes if I do a little bit wait a few days, do a bit more wait a bit, do a bit more as you need to get into the mindset each time.

Writing a short essay for uni at the moment and have been doing it for the past 5 hours with short breaks and basicly finished, its due in by midnight. I know if I'd have been doing it over the past few weeks I'd have taken way longer than 5 hours total time. I'll spend another hour or so reviewing it and double checking all references etc but that's easy enough.

Obviously with some things its unavoidable that you have to take your time an example being dissertations. Also its not good to be under pressure with lots of things at the same time, but I much prefer shorter deadlines.

So do you like to be up against it to do your best or do you like it to be more relaxed and spread out?

2. NooBish AbbZ 92

NooBish AbbZ 92
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Not sure with which i perform better but i always leave work until the last minute anyway :p

3. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    hmm 8 - 0 Not meaning to generalise but I find its often women who tend to not like the pressure.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,860
    Oh :D

5. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    I would hate to be late on some work but I work my best under pressure. Somehow I'm good at solving problems then.

My mum's the same, although she does everything at the last minute because she's disorganised while I usually plan ahead.

6. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Perhaps a better way of putting it would be women are more organised and like to get things done in advance...? :blush:

7. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Depends how you quantify work and pressure. I wouldn't classify a University project where you are given weeks to prepare in either category.

One of my most pressurised situations was getting a call from a client after lunch to say a machine I'd sold him had broken down (damaged hydraulic ram), and he needed a replacement ram that day. If he didn't have the machine up and running, and the job completed by the end of the following day, then he'd incur a £20k fine of which he'd be passing onto me.
    We didn't stock the particular ram, and the supplier in Belgium couldn't get it to us for 2 days. In the end I got on a plane, flew to Belgium, met a guy at the airport who gave me a 200kg lump of metal and left me with it. The airport didn't have any trolley's so I had to put my coat on the floor, place the ram on top and drag it around with me until I was able to check it in. I arrived back in Ireland about midnight, drove to an engineering workshop who I'd organised would stay open for me, got the ram fitted on the machine at 5am, then delivered it to the customer by 7am. Total cost to the company was about £3k, but one very satisfied and relieved client.

I much prefer working in a relaxed manner. :)

8. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,480
    What's the latest I can answer the poll?

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,503
    nonumb, some life advice. Never ever ever mention uni deadlines as your example of "pressure". Potential employers will laugh you out the interview room. Harsh maybe but the reality is uni is merely a 3 year phase setting you up for 40 years of working when more would be expected of you

10. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    I was perhaps being a bit unfair in my generalisation of university coursework.

My nephew is doing his Bar exams this year and was telling me over Christmas that at the end of any given day they are given documents relating to a case which they must report on the following day. All nighters in the University library are pretty common. As you say it's preparation for his working life, but it is pressure nonetheless.

11. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    I like targets and goals but would prefer to not have pressure, if that makes any sense, lol!

12. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,503
    Not at all saying it is not pressure but there are thousands of uni graduates who balance studying with other things. In the context of life, if you present yourself in the wrong light and emphasise how difficult you found a uni essay then a potential employer will query whether you can hack the role being offered. In fact the OP created the problem for himself having been given a standard deadline, so I definitely would not highlight it

On the subject of law, an oversubscribed profession. Far too many law graduates before you even consider conversions. Again, you have to be able to demonstrate a bit more than just getting the grades because bluntly, so what? Thousands of other people have the same piece of paper

13. thenorth

thenorth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I like to be given a task and a deadline and left to do the job.

I prefer it this way as I can plan a head and get it done with minimal stress.

14. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    No, not really. But I definitely do my best work (whatever it may be) under pressure.

15. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    I didn't realise there were so many qualified barrister's, or do you mean people with a law degree?
    In my nephew's case, he was delighted to get a place to complete his Bar exams following his graduation last year because apparently the places are very limited. (Forgive me for not using the correct terminology, but he rambles on about Lincolns Inn's and other such things that I've no idea about)

16. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    generally most people work best under pressure, but you have to have the right balance of pressure, as if people have too much pressure it has an adverse effect, as can too little pressure. and each individual is different. this is simple psychology

17. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,503
    Sorry, was distracted by preparing for the match earlier. He has done extremely well to gain a pupillage

18. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Pupillage...that's another word I nodded along too. :D

19. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well a little harsh, a uni degree is something that puts you under pressure and I am doing masters. I know its not a life and death situation but its still pressure whether self imposed or not. I know people who have gone into medicine dealing with life and death situations but still describe uni as pressured.

Just because you have a long time to do it, it does not mean that you're doing nothing the rest of the time. You have a reading list, you need to check books read journals as well as assimilating a vast amount of information.

I'm not under any illusions that its as high pressure as I'm going to be under in the future, it was more an example of how you feel pressure. I wasnt complaining about the situation nor was I suggesting I found it hard. I was saying that this is how I work best. To be honest though my final exams for my undergraduate degree were tough my last degree was not coursework based and so you have to remember 3 years worth of work and write about it in a week of exams and if you do badly then the past 3 years have been wasted. On top of that I had a job so I'd count that as pressure wouldnt you?

I don't think you should rubbish people who have a degree - oh everyone has one it doesnt change the fact that a lot of work goes into it. Lets not forget that there is variation between courses. I cant wait for the day when I have a 9-5 job and switch off in the evenings, in fact that's what most of my working friends love about finishing uni.

What do you do for a living Steven? Did you do a degree? You may well have a very highly pressured job but you shouldnt look down on others because you perceive what they are doing as easy.

Dony that is indeed a very highly pressured situation and coming back to the original point of the thread you worked well under pressure. I must reiterate that I was not complaining about my essay.

20. sianba

sianba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I work in a JIT Plant (Just In Time) with small buffer stock and at night with little support from supporting staff and if i fail to supply on my shift my company are charged £60,000 a minute, and i can tell you everyday something goes wrong, thats pressure.

But i would not swap it for anything else :thumbsup:

Si

21. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,936
    Same here. I tend to have anywhere between 10-15 tasks, some given to me but most of my own making so even though some have deadlines most can be well planned in advanced and finished way before they are due.
    It's all down to good planning and prioritising work, although I can work just as well under pressure (sometimes better), which is most likely the same for most people.

Also - it helps as my manage is based in the US :smashin:

22. rickinyorkshire

rickinyorkshire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +561
    I guess it depends what job role you're in. If you're doing some programming or configuring of devices then it's better to have time on your hands to check things, if you're under pressure then you're more likely to cock up.

23. StevePSIV

StevePSIV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    Definitely under pressure, love it when things are piling up and need to be done asap!

24. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,936
    But doesn't that mean you can't spend as much time on AVF? Not acceptable :laugh:

25. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,950
    poll fail imo as in your first post you are asking if we work best when under pressure but the poll asks us if we "prefer" to work under pressure.

big difference