Working From Home

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by baldrick, Feb 28, 2013.

?
  1. I think it's great and I do it some/all of the time

64.3%
  2. I'd love to be able to do it by my employer doesn't allow it

14.3%
  3. My company allows it but I don't use the option

8.3%
  4. My employer allows it but my boss won't let me/I feel like I can't

7.1%
  5. Stupid idea, work should be done in the office and nowhere else

6.0%
  1. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    The recent news from Yahoo has triggered a whole host of articles and editorials on this subject so I figured we should discuss here.

My employer is actively moving to a 'remote working' model, rolling out 'virtual computing' and promoting the mantra "it's about what you do, not where you do it". Personally I have no issue with it and take advantage of the facility, not every day but when it makes sense to me. I've setup a nice home office with dual screens etc... so I can dock my laptop and have the same facilities as my employers office.

The driver behind the Yahoo decision is that being in the office leads to better collaboration and spur of the moment conversations that just don't happen if you're sitting at home. To a certain extent I agree with that sentiment but as an argument it falls apart when companies are (inter)national and a single team can comprise members in geographically separate locations albeit all 'in the office'.

I saw a study referenced that says "people who work from home are less like to get promoted". I can see how that could be true, but again if I work in office A and my boss working in office B 200 miles away does that mean I'm also less likely to get promoted. If it's about being present and being seen then do you need to be in the right office not just an office!?!?

So what do people think? Use the poll and share your thoughts...

2. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    I think it's great, and in fact have been working from home for most of last week and this week due to illness. If I didn't have the option to log in remotely, I'd have had to simply call in sick and waste lots of company time and money, and worse, have a painful backlog to contend with when I returned. As it is, I've been too ill to go into the office, but not so ill that I'm unable to work, even if it's only at 75% capacity.

However, that's an exceptional case. Our department's MD is an old-school, bums-on-seats kind of guy. He actually patrols the floor every evening around 5.30pm, and notes who's still in the office versus who's left at 5pm. Sadly this kind of presence seems to mean a lot, even if the people who stay on like this aren't necessarily being very productive.

So ultimately even though I think it's great and in theory I could do it all the time, I had to vote for the "My employer allows it but my boss won't let me/I feel like I can't" option.

3. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34,484
  4. BigStu1972

BigStu1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    I work very rarely from home, normally if the car is being serviced or I have tradesmen coming round or something like that.
    My work are ok with it but doubt they'd be happy if I wanted to work 1 day a week from home.
    My slow broadband makes working from home a bit of a chore so not sure I'd want to work from home any more than occasionally.

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,503
    You need another option for:
    'Can't work from home as it would be impossible with my job'

6. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Love the way the police officer/detective have selected "I'd love to be able to do it by my employer doesn't allow it". :D

7. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    I'm about 10 mins walk away from work I'm fine to go in.

8. tvmcp

tvmcp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Been working from home for 13 years, it's been great.

There are days however when I have to travel anywhere in the country or go into main office, but about 80% of that 13 years has been at home

9. awlfc

awlfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Id love to work from home but im a courier

10. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Come on then Proteus, justify your luddite viewpoint. :D

11. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    Results will obviously be skewed here, given a much larger percentage of us are techies in comparison to in the population as a whole, and we can generally work from home :D

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,752
    Work from home every other Wednesday.

Team Leader is cool with this arrangement, and it allows me to drop the car at the garage for servicing and repairs, be home for courier deliveries, save about £6 worth of diesel, run errands in town during my lunch hour, etc

13. jenam93

jenam93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Did a 6 month stint of working from home when the Mrs was on bed rest with our daughter so it is great to have the flexibility. We'd have been royally screwed if I could not have done that!

Generally I work from home once a week and have the option to do other days if there is a compelling reason too.

I actually enjoy going into the office though. There's a great group of people so the interaction is well worthwhile. We have a pool table in the office which helps break the afternoon up when there is the usual lull. It also allows access to playing sport at lunchtime and a traditional pub trip on a Friday which I just would not do if working from home.

Quite happy with this balance :smashin:

14. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    I think a mix could be a good solution, so work some hours in the office and some at home.

There was some research I came across sometime ago about when the human mind is at its peak. The results for adults was that our performance peaked at around 10am and sometime in the evening I think around 7PM. And it troughs between 2-3PM, I often notice people dosing off around this time in the office, I also believe it's the time of the day that most road accidents take place which surprised me as it's not peak traffic.

Over the last 3 years I've been testing the theory out, so I've been reserving the 10am slot for speaking to "grumpy" colleagues and difficult customers. I'm convinced it has been working, people just seem less irritable than later in the afternoon. Also, seems to work for job application (giving away too many secrets now :p).

So I'd like to test out a working day where it's possible for people work in the office say 8/9am - 1pm and the rest of their hours from home, maybe during the evenings. I see a problem though all those people driving home after 1pm (see 2nd para.).

Anyway it's just a thought I've been pondering for sometime now.

15. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,837
    None of the above.

My company is quite open to the idea and I do it quite often.

But I don't like and I'm not very good at it - easily distracted.

The only time I can work efficiently at home is when I have a hard deliverable - a document that has a day's worth of work and needs to be submitted the following day.

The reason I work from home quite a bit is that I do a lot of consultant type work at other sites. When I'm not on that work then it means a 2.5+ hour round trip commute, sitting at a hot desk often on my own, twiddling my thumbs. Usually just admin work (timesheets, expenses etc) which I can do at home.

I would prefer never having to work at home but instead hav an office within a short commute, with my own desk and a team of regulars around me.

Cheers,

Nigel

16. Trory1940

Trory1940
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been working from home for 3 years now and I enjoy every minute of it. I get to earn income and manage our household to. It's not easy at first, but once you get the hang of it then time management is such a breeze.

17. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,488
    I quite often do work at home, stuff in the evenings/weekends etc.
    I prefer to go into the office however, as its the rest of the family that need to get used to the idea that I am home working.

Maybe if my home office was less of a man-cave / gaming / video room and more like an office it might be more convincing.:blush::cool:

18. HouseTonyStark

HouseTonyStark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    i would like the idea of working from home, i am in the proicess of renovating a house, so being able to do a number of jobs during my lunch would be awesome. also taking into account reduced travel times, i could be very productive.

but i am not sure my boss is really up for it, which is odd given i have a laptop in case of inability to work at office..

19. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    I work from home most evenings, don't work weekends though, not paid enough for that. I enjoy the odd day to stay at home (a 4 hour round commute door to door) because I get more time at home. I don't think I'd be able to work permanently from home though.

One thing I have noticed when I do work from home though is that I am more likely to have a full lunch break and take a full hour or even longer away from the work at hand. When in the office it is the norm to go to Pret and get a sandwich and eat while working.

20. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,307
    The poll is also lacking the "I work from home".

I have worked from home since 1988 and probably always will now - there comes a point when you are unemployable.

It's a different way of life. It can be very hard when work is slow or non-existent. If it was guaranteed, it would be fantastic.

You lose the social aspect, but I work with my wife, so it's not too bad.

However, you do lose the office politics and usual people-related issues.

It's been great to see my children grow up and be there when they leave and return from school. But happy memories do not pay the bills!

It does make you think there is more to life than a 9-5. I felt really guilty when I first didn't go to work on a Monday morning.

You do miss the annual holidays though. Booking a week or two and forgetting about work was great. Now you have to stress about clients wanting work etc. You also end up with unsocial hours because you tend to get work later in the day when people have got their act together. And it's always for the morning!

It's not uncommon to work all weekend and then nothing for a week!

The one thing I do like is that it is usually appreciated. As an employee, it was just expected. If you work as hard as you do as an employee, you will earn a handsome salary as contract work tends to be paid at a higher rate and your accounts can lose more due to expenses.

Nothing beats the excitement of winning new work. it's like a promotion every time. It's not for everyone, but I think it may become more and more widespread, so who knows, we all may end up trying it at some point.

21. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,520
    I used to get a buzz from getting a Quotation accepted, 10 years down the line and I sigh when I get a job:laugh:

22. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I work from home twice a week the rest I commute to and from Aberdeen, 4.5hr commute to be exact a day! So that's why I get to do two days at home and frankly the company need me.

So who voted it's a stupid idea, probably those that are jealous or think that it's a skive, bet they work 10 mins from work, don't get up at 5AM or home until @20:30 either.....my choice, yes but that company requires my skills, so it's a two way mutual agreement and it works

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  23. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,307
    It's cut-throat out there. We are asked to quote on a vague outline of a job (graphic design). There are always ten others willing to do for less. These days it tends to be a case of go in cheap and ratchet the price up with extras. If you quote a realistic price, you would never get a sniff of a job. We have more professionalism than that, but end up doing more work cheaper. Not a great business model!

Still, we don't have staff, so it's only our own time were giving away. I'd hate to employ people and be responsible for their incomes too.

24. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,520
    I seem to get every single job I Quote for, has been like it for the last 8 months or so.

Nothing has changed apart from most contacts are recommendations. I can't complain but being busy brings a whole new set of stresses.

25. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    So there's the expected cross mix, those who can, those who do, those who can't and those who won't.

Out of interest does anybody work for a company that actively promotes it? My employer is going that route, again based on the concept of "it's about what you do, not where you do it". Why limit yourself to a local workforce if you can hire anyone anywhere (job dependent)? My commute is one hour round trip (traffic willing) so nothing compared to some of the folks here, but it's still an hour that I could actually be working, not sitting in the car.

A couple of people have mentioned the work life balance thing and that is important. I can spend a lot of time on conference calls and I sometimes find that if I'm at home I can participate far more effectively doing some ironing or other menial house chore than I would if I was sat at my desk 'multi-tasking'. What some people would consider 'skiving' is actually me being more attentive on my call whilst also freeing up some time to spend with my family.

The one thing my work hasn't properly embraced yet is desktop video chat. We have a few meeting rooms setup with video conferencing kit but I don't know anyone with a webcam on their desk. Once that hurdle is overcome I think it will open the doors.

In a dream world I'd be able to live in the place of choosing (not constraint by commuting to an office) and still do my job knowing that at 5-5.30 I can log off for the day and step out into the garden with my son to play, not get into the car!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  26. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    I'm in IT Systems management and have an ear disease that affects my hearing and causes vertigo so its ideal for me when I'm feeling a bit rough. I currently do one day a week and it works really well

We use OCS for comms so I'm always in touch and it displays when I'm on-line

I tend to get more of the menial tasks done at home as I just get my head down and dont get interrupted. I couldnt do it all the time though as I get frustrated working on a single 21 "screen when I'm used to 2x21" ones to fit everything in I do

27. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,233
    I do when I'm able to but like nac it's hard convincing the other half I'm actually at home working and not just there to keep her company

28. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Had a team meeting in London yesterday and our line manager just came out with it. " I want each and every one of you to work from home 1 day a week"

Nearly fell off my chair!

29. liamt

liamt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    +1

no good for me at all. i need to be here as half my role is reactive.

30. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34,484
    What does that mean?