working for low money

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lisa burrell, Aug 30, 2007.

1. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Friend of ours who done a spell in Hospital with heart attack. He pointed out all the foreign workers in the establishment. working as ancillary workers, cleaners ect. Asked how do they get jobs so easy. Its because they work for the minimum wage I said. Why do they do that job? The hours are horrible so the pay He asked. I said and I would like to know if I'm on the right track hear. That most of them come from places where the Living standard is not that good and they earn much less than we do. That minimum wage hear is alot compared to what they can earn in there own country.

Do you think thats basically right.

[email protected]~~

2. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,036
    i guess so, but even when you couple the cost of living in the UK it doesn't leave them with that much.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,617
    Some of those things. And I think people in this country would rather not have work than to actually have work, even if it is in "menial" jobs like hospital cleaning

4. wavefront

wavefront

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah for many british people they would rather sit on the benefits than work all week at a menial job for £20 more. I don't think its a great situation but the system does tend to encourage it.

5. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    I think the way it works is they work long hours and hard and live on pratically nothing (40 people in a house for example), some earning cash in hand and they do that for a few months/years before going back to their country or simply send the money to the family back home.

They don't have a good standard of living in the UK (or other countries they work in) but they are prepared to do it for a while. And we "use" them as cheap labour because nobody living a normal life in the UK could afford the same pay.
    There was a report about the terrible living conditions of some workers in Italy not so long ago and these people were "nammed" as the "slaves" of our time.

6. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite interesting responses thank you all.

Do you think that people in this country are not made aware of the benefits that are available if one is low paid.

I site in this free magazine the council have delivered through every door in our town there was this tiny paragraph . It said something like if you earn less than certain amount. you can get a reduction in your council tax. Stuff like that.

The trouble is when you actually get to find out about these benefits. you see the forms you have to fill in. must be designed to put one off claiming.

[email protected]~~

7. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I don't have the numbers but I understand that there is a very large sum of money (hundreds of millions I believe) estimated to be unclaimed through the benefit system each year by people that are entitled to it as per the rules. Some may be intimidated by the forms or the procedure and some may not claim out of pride, but I suspect ignorance is the main reason.

I guess this goes some way to offsetting the huge amount of benefit fraud each year.

8. bongo123

bongo123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    We have a polish guy who works on our site (among many) he's paid helper rates, does a great job but in order to save money he walks an hour into work and back again in order to save a £1 bus fare and this is rain/sleet/meteors, he saves every penny and sends it home. It's what they all do. They have no life here, they don't party, go out to the cinema go for a drink, they just plod through life trying to earn as much as possible before going home and buying some land or a shop or just having some money for their kids.

9. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    And in that sense they are an example to us all. I say good luck to them.

10. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    It's happened throughout the ages. My grand dad was from Sardinia as a shepherd and he emigrated by himself, working in a factory in the 50s. Long hours, hard work and he was living on bread and water (almost) in a tiny place (like a shed literally), spending his spare time at a local quarry cutting rock to build a house for his family.
    After 2 years my grand mum and 2 year old dad joined him.

That's what dedication and pride do. Not many people would do that.

11. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Not round my area, pleanty of these eastern europeans like quaffing a few lagers, but yes generally I agree, my journey into work by train has many eastern europeans, all the building sites round my area have EE ppl as labourers, my builders were polish whio finished my house in six weeks , I could not get any local companies to even come round for a quote!

It makes me wonder where all the british kids are? are they not learning skill such as the building trade as there obviously is a skills gap.

Some of the birds are hot too, another bonus.

12. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    There is a bit more to it than that tho'. Her indoors and her partnership did a survey for the Bishop of Worcester amongst others on immigrant workers around Evesham, 18 months ago. Yes they work hard, doing the jobs and shifts that the resident workforce can't or won't do. (the nightshift at a local distribution centre was almost entirely staffed by EU immigrant workers for example). The main driving forces are 1) to earn money and 2) to learn english. After 5 years or so, the expectation was to have accrued enough cash to return home and buy a house outright with the cash. The english language skills they pick up would, hopefully, be enough to get a decent well paid job on returning home.
    Of course, after 5 years plans may change but that was the motivation.
    Also, employment around Worcestershire was about 4% at the time and this effectively means full employment as that figure is deemed to be the level of those 'between jobs', unemployable and hard core scroungers. So they were actually providing an essential service, and without them we would all pay more for food etc.

http://archive.tewkesburyadmag.co.uk/2006/4/20/27859.html

-reports the survey, but not particularly the results.

13. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard something quite shocking the other day but on hind site dose not surprise me.

A well know store is sceptical employing 16 year old's because the leave school with school playground ethics. They walk into this job as far as the store concerned for all the wrong reasons. They just want to earn money. chat to there mates who come in all day chat up the girls they bring the playground ethics with them. I heard this store gets rid of them very quickly. Would rather employ much more mature and older people who actual care about what there doing give some customer service and do not prat around all day looking for nothing to do instead of something. Because they just do not want to be there. The worst thing is with stores being open 24/5. These kids do not want to be there Saturday or on a Friday night. So the old truancy problem turns up at work. They want to be out with there mates. So whats happening is the stores or workplace is looking increasingly to older more responsible people. where that leaves the younger person i do not know. And also wonder what the knock on effect will be.

I think the work experience thing is a good idea. Think those kids that do that are probably more connected to the working world.

But there not all like this thank goodness. There are a a lot good ones. That do surprise you.:)

[email protected]~~