Working as an aerial/satellite installer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by luap1983, Mar 4, 2013.

1. luap1983

luap1983
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    As above really, I want to get into the industry but I cannot financially afford to leave my current job because of supporting a young family, anyway I have contacted a few local installers and I am doing some work experience in a shop this Wednesday, he said I could go out with an installer but I need the relevant H&S training.

What is the best way to get into the industry?
    Could I really learn the trade just doing work experience here and there?
    How long does it take to learn the trade?
    Are the CAI courses worth going on?
    Anyone in the trade how/where did you learn?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
    Ps hope this is in the correct place!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. pkhap

pkhap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    About 15 minutes judging by the ones I come across. Just need a van and a ladder.:laugh::laugh:

3. luap1983

luap1983
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else got any advice?

4. Linx08

Linx08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Not sure, if sky or virgin will take you on, without any training? Can I ask why you just want to work as a sat/aerial installer only?

Kind regards

Linx

5. luap1983

luap1983
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry what do you me satellite/aerial only? I know there are lots of different directions I can do once I am trained!
    Many thanks

6. Linx08

Linx08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Well the title of your post indicated that was what you wanted to do, being able to install a sat dish or aerial system is a very different discipline than installing say a home cinema or multiroom system. Hence my question, not having a go at your choice or putting down sat/aerial guys the good ones out there are very skilled, but the guys I know who are good at it stick to that side of the business. Home automation and home cinema is a pretty different skill set, which requires very different training.

Kind regards

Linx

7. luap1983

luap1983
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if my last post seemed like I was being funny I wasn't.
    Yes I would love to be able to install home cinema etc I am very into that as a hobby anyway I know there would be a lot to learn but if I can get the training I could maybe do that as well as the aerial/sat also multiroom, IRS systems,motorized sateillite, tv wall hanging and become an authorised sky installer. I just thought if I was to start with the aerial/sat installation first then I could progress with other things.
    I have been looking on trades websites and some of them do do both homecinema and aerial/sat installation.
    The company I am going to be doing some work experience with do both, so hopefully something will come of that!
    I emailed sky 2 weeks ago and they emailed back saying they are currently not recruiting anyone in any area and haven't done for the past 18 months, that would have been good for me as it is around the same pay as I am on now, but never mind!
    Regards.
    Paul

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  8. Linx08

Linx08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    No worries, its tricky sometimes when you're typing to makesure you get the 'tone' right :)

You are quite correct there are a few companies out there who do both aerial installation and automation/cinema installs. Aerial wise CAI is a good quailification, most of us as installers will work with people we know and trust only, my aerial installer of choice is based in Kent, but I'm happy to pay the extra to use him on further away jobs as I trust what and how he does his stuff.

I think you need to decide if you want to do either aerials or install cinemas, etc that way you can concentrate on learning all you can about the one area. They are very different skill sets. But as you say after a couple of years you could train for which ever you haven't been doing. :)

I wish you every success with your trial day, please do let us know how you get on. :)

Kind regards

Linx

9. gforce1

gforce1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like many large companys sky have subbed out most of their installation work. i believe avc based in warrington still do skys work for them. i used to do sky via avc. virgin media use kellys communications. im working as a bt engineer via kellys but they do virgin too. also, fujitsu do work for virgin media.
    im new to this site and plan to start up myself doing satellite, ariels, cctv, telecoms and i just posted a thread yesterday asking for some advice but if i can help anymore just shout up mate.
    i may be able to advise you on the best way to get into the above companies but let me warn you that none of them will treat you that well in my opinion. i also worked directly for bt openreach until xmas and they are the best employer by far but theyre becoming less attractive as an employer too. they all want you to do shed loads of work daily to a high standard and safely and this is not always possible but it is a great way to get into this industry. good luck

10. luap1983

luap1983
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate, thank you for your advice,
    The courses what the CAI do most of them are 2 day courses are these worth doing? I want to do them anyway because it will look good on my CV.
    I didn't go on my trial day this week because he unexpectedly had to go out for the day so I am going in this Thursday, he also put In one of his emails that he is hoping to offer me some part time work but I think this will depend on lot's of different factors.
    I will let you know how I get on.
    Many thanks
    Paul.

11. luap1983

luap1983
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate,
    Thank you for your advice,
    I have thought about applying for jobs with some of these company's but I would really like to stay with my current job now which is Royal Mail just because I have a lot of free time and one day I would like to work for myself and working for Royal Mail I could run my business along side it what would work well, this is my plan anyway, but it really depends on how much training I can get still working at Royal Mail. If a job came up for the same amount of money as I am on now then I would defiantly consider it but I would really like to work for a smaller company rather then a big one like sky I think I would learn alot more.
    Do you mind if I ask how long you have been in the trade?
    Anyway good luck with working for yourself hope it all goes well for you.
    Regards.
    Paul