Work In Progress Home Cinema

Sheks

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We moved into our new home just over 4 months ago. The property has already had it's garage converted to an office/play room.

So the room was already habitable/heated (and it's attached to the house; accessed from a door in the conservatory).

One end I use for my office (work primarily from home), the other end is being turned into a "media" room.

Been working the last 3 weekends building the framework etc, still along way to go, but now starting to take shape.

Things still to do:
Finish cladding the framework (using MDF at the mo)
Installing high-level pelmets with blue rope lights down each side of the room
Decorate the false walls and rest of room

The final aim will be to ensure none of the timber frame-work is visible.

The kit I am using is in my sig, I am using an Ikea black-out blind for a screen. Trying to do the whole thing "cheaply", so far spent £70 on timber/mdf/screws etc, £22 on 10 metres of blue-rope light, envisage spending another £100 on timber and decorating materials. Not particularly experienced at DIY, so it's a steep learning curve.

When the screen is down, the 28" TV, consoles, and DVD's cannot be seen, this should (hopefully) keep the room clutter free.

See the pics here:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/my_photos

Sorry not a very good photographer.

Already really enjoying the room.

I will keep this updated as I progress.

Sheks

Hey Sheks,

Nice one, looks great already, really looking forward to more piccys

Cheers

Thankyou for your kind words.

At present trying to decide on a paint scheme, considering somesort of darkish blue for the screen wall, a lighter blue for the walls, but not sure about the ceiling.

The other end of the room I wil paint a lighter colour, as that's where the PC sits and I work a lot from home and don't want to work in a dark environment.

Sheks

Hey Gaz,

Yes it is, not sure what forum as one sig does all!

Sheks,

I would imagine anything light but Matt for the ceiling would do, as i read in another post, cause its DIY you can afford to try various options, to see what works the best! My ceiling is an off yellow/mongolia which does interfere / reflect the piture too much. (it will be chaged at some point)

Cheers

smerkderk said:
Hey Gaz,

Yes it is, not sure what forum as one sig does all!

Sheks,

I would imagine anything light but Matt for the ceiling would do, as i read in another post, cause its DIY you can afford to try various options, to see what works the best! My ceiling is an off yellow/mongolia which does interfere / reflect the piture too much. (it will be chaged at some point)

Cheers
ha ha ha projection tv discussion forums with fuzzy as the ring leader what sort of projector are you using these days i take it its one of those fresnel lens ones any more?

hehe I had a good crack at the lens thing but couldnt quite get it right, pic was always just a bit too blurry, got a TW10 and very happy, and you....??

would you belive i'm still playing i'm planning on get a proper pj just after xmas
ive nearly completed my ht so once i ve completed it i'll get the real thing but my screen shots are pretty good with this glass lens:

gaz, would be very interested in seeing shots, are you able to send them? I will PM my email addy.

smerkderk said:
gaz, would be very interested in seeing shots, are you able to send them? I will PM my email addy.
If you are reading this this then you've probably seen them, regards garry.

Yeah cheers Gaz have got them, look better than my attemps, do the chairs move?

Cheers

smerkderk said:
Yeah cheers Gaz have got them, look better than my attemps, do the chairs move?

Cheers
cheers m8
ha ha ha ha "do the chairs move" funny you should say that i have got speakers under each seat (car speakers) conected to an old amp and used as a cheap set of base shakers and they give quite a rumble during explosions and stuff, originally i had them set up to the sub but found them to intense so used an old amp to calm them down a bit.

SHEKS :oops:
sorry we seem to have hyjacked your thread still looking forward to your results regards garry
hows it all going any way?

Hi Sheks,

Lookin good! Am I right in thinking you are getting about an 80" screen out of the black out blind? Did they do bigger ones? I am about at the same stage as you in my garage currently ( pickies on my thread) so it is nice to see someone running about parrallel with me.

Can I ask where you got your rope lights from? I quite fancy them running down the skirting board maybe.

Cheers

Hi Jamiroquai78.

Yes it is just under an 80" (diagonal) screen.

Ikea do do wider blinds (can't remember the name now) - best ring the store to check stock before travelling tho. Bargain price and an acceptable picture in my opinion.

The rope lights I got from (don't laugh) Ideal World (shopping channel) - a "today only" price, I think they are out of stock now.

Try here instead:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Information/tlcdirectie.htm

Best of luck with your build

Sheks

ikea have started doing rope lights
i may have metioned this in previous thread but they are a little skinier than the norm but better quality than i thought they would be, on cheap ones usualy if one bulb blows then one whole stretch goes out but on mine from ikea one of my bulbs have blown and all but that one are still lit

Sheks,

How is the build going?

Its nice to see other progress against my own :) .

Jam

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom