Work dilemma

That's what you call very close. :)
Yes definitely, although shortly after I handed in my resignation. The look on her fathers face when I asked officially for her hand and told him I was currently unemployed...And then it got worse, my wife to be became a nightmare on Sunday evenings getting ready to go to work. So she suggested she would quit her job as well to plan the wedding :D

Her dad was one of those who worked for 30/40 years with the same company, so job mobility was lets just say an alien concept to him...

Where I work if it is a major birthday such as a 50th then the person who's birthday it is get the pies in. Which normally results in about 50+ pies being delivered.

Same for retirements or people leaving.

Don't get me wrong, I've had friendships with work colleagues. We worked in teams of 2 or 3, obviously you become close, meals, meet each others partners, etc.
Those friendships were based on interests.
So I had
Football lads.
People I went raving/DJing with.
Work colleagues.
Family.

What I didn't have is friends with values that aligned with mine when I realized not all friendships are healthy for your family, relationships or personal goals.

Her dad was one of those who worked for 30/40 years with the same company, so job mobility was lets just say an alien concept to him...

Hey, nothing wrong with that :D

I'm currently in my 35th year with the same employer, well the same little company that's been taken over three times now by bigger fish.

YTS course aside, it's only the second job I've had since leaving school. Was head hunted from the first one to go to this one and at one point was head hunted by another company and was all set to jump ship, but was then offered more money to stay, so I did.

At my age, unless it's through unforeseen circumstances, not of my own choosing, I shall most likely be here until I retire.

Only 4 of us here, pretty close knit, left to our own devices, so long as we continue to make money.

I'd say my colleagues were friends, though not close friends, rather than just colleagues.

just keep ignoring the requests for money. you can be part of the team in other ways by talking to folk and helping out where you can.
it's a load of nonsense really, my manager gave us all £X amount voucher for christmas one time. then someone in the team suggests we all chip in and give the manager a present / voucher, so you just end up giving back exactly what you've been given. i just don't get it.

At my place, and every place I have worked, on your birthday YOU bring in cakes to celebrate. Everyone does the same. Much easier that way.

At my place, and every place I have worked, on your birthday YOU bring in cakes to celebrate. Everyone does the same. Much easier that way.
At my work, the company pays for the cakes/doughnuts/brownies to celebrate (whatever we want - up to a price limit) :)

At my work, the company pays for the cakes/doughnuts/brownies to celebrate (whatever we want - up to a price limit) :)

Got any vacancies going? Give me cakes and there’s not much I’ll say no to…

I've been sending e-mails to my work for years asking for a birthday pressie. Never got a response let alone a gift.*

* I work for myself

Must be an office thing as the building trade where I spent a lot of my workng life did not give a rats behind whether it was your birthday or whatever. :)
My last job was a delivery driver for a building supplies firm and it was quite common for the younger employees to take the day off if it as their birthday, the big jessies.

Must be an office thing as the building trade where I spent a lot of my workng life did not give a rats behind whether it was your birthday or whatever. :)
My last job was a delivery driver for a building supplies firm and it was quite common for the younger employees to take the day off if it as their birthday, the big jessies.
One of the employees at a plumbing company always used to bring in a present for the boss, his wife, and the office girls.
Creep. 🤣

I was reprimanded for not attending 2 work functions, I did go to one early on but it was boring. I didn't go on the lad's holiday either.

i don't really do birthday much myself (tho, go away with my lady etc), and work we contribute a couple of quid and one of the women buys us a thoughtful present...

i turned 50 last year and we were in lockdown (WFH) so got nothing there... and my lady had organised a big birthday bash for me with a mate coming over from the netherlands...but that was cancelled too... would have been my first birthday party too...

As Departmental Head it's my job to get the Departmental Administrator to buy cakes/pastries for each person's birthday, the company budgets us a certain amount per head for such things.

Same for Weddings, Retirements, Resignations ....etc.

They have to have a SpreadSheet detailing each person's Birthday and get to call in at the Bakers/Pastry shop on the way in. They're also responsible for sending round the card .

I believe the Spreadsheet does have some omissions because some people don't want to celebrate

I was reprimanded for not attending 2 work functions, I did go to one early on but it was boring. I didn't go on the lad's holiday either.

That’s a bit out of order. If the work function is outside of your normal working hours, there shouldn’t be any obligation to attend.

I never bother going to any work does.

Also, depending on how its handled, holding this information could constitute a breach of GDPR. That information should only be available for those who need to know. As far as I'm concerned only HR would need this and thats would be it.

That’s a bit out of order. If the work function is outside of your normal working hours, there shouldn’t be any obligation to attend.

I avoid like the plague. It's probably why I never progressed up the hierarchy much. Not that I'd want to anyway.

That's the thing they never tell you about Management, you're expected to show willing and so have to turn up at every event they decide to hold.

I don't mind a night at the Frankfurt Opera but painting a school corridor in a deprived area of town is the other side of the coin.

I avoid like the plague. It's probably why I never progressed up the hierarchy much. Not that I'd want to anyway.

yep, it's a fine line between networking and brown nosing...I've seen too much of the latter in my time..

We do the same. And send it to our staff home address with remote working.

One of the guys in my team I know him pretty well and knew cake is not for him. I got our head of operations to send him a chateaubriand instead 🤣 He loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we had cakes on every birthday it would be near enough every day.

As for a random spreadsheet full of DoBs 😦🤯😨

I picked one of the venue's, because of a personal life issue I decided not to go.

The other was suggested inappropriate sexual innuendo behaviour from an office administrator, everyone seemed to think it was funny.
I didn't, so I decided to do something else instead, I had a much better offer.🤣🤣

That's the thing they never tell you about Management, you're expected to show willing and so have to turn up at every event they decide to hold.

As well as kicking in to the funded party.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom