Wordpress advice and tips

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sophies hero, Aug 10, 2013.

1. sophies hero

sophies hero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Hi all. Decided to try and have a go at building myself a website by using wordpress. I have zero experience at this though some could do with a few good tutorials and any tips if anyone knows of any. I've sorted the domain and hosting service (open mind hosting- they've been brilliant so far already) and got wordpress on the site but although its all templates im not finding it as easy to customise and layout as i'd hoped.

I've only had a quick go so far but its clear im going to need so pointers. As an example, the domain brings up an index instead of the home page?

If anyone can offer some links i'd appreciate it and if they want to subscribe to help with any questions over the next few weeks that would be even better. Im confident once i get going i'll be fine but just need that initial bit of help.

Offering a free 'thanks' to anyone who posts or subscribes 😉

Steve

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,514
    When did you set up the site? If it's in the past few hours, your domain name and IP may not have fully propagated around the DNS servers around the internet. As a result you may be seeing a default "index" from the domain name host's site. Before the name propagates, you may have been given a direct URL from the domain site so you can access the site before the name has been copied to the the DNS servers.

That said, have you actually installed Wordpress to your site? Do you access the admin/set up by using the URL <www.yourdomain.com>/wp-admin ?

3. sophies hero

sophies hero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Well it was thursday night that i registered it all so assume that should be ok by now?

To log in to wordpress i do use the wp/wp-admin but my home page is .co.uk/wp well thats the only way to go directly to it. Just typing the domain brings me the index with
    .cgi
    .twentytwelve
    .wp
    .css

Edit- domain now takes you to what i expected to be the home page. So it seems it takes the best part of 48hrs to bed in?

Edit again- no it doesn't i clicked the /wp link. &#128563;

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    Souds like it's installed in a sub-directory and not at the root (ie main level) of the domain. Had this with a site years ago. I would submit a support ticket to your hosting company asking how to install Wordpress into the root.

As for templates... if you are a novice you might want to install a well featured template from somewhere like WordPress Themes | Website Templates | Create a Website | ThemeForest

They have hundreds of templates for little money - like £30-$40. They are better featured and more customisable than most of the free templates.

But you will still need to invest some serious time and effort into creating a website that works well. Google is your friend... look for Wordpress tutorials etc.

Best of luck

5. sophies hero

sophies hero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    You were bang on the money sanpedro. I logged back in to the Cpanel service and removed wordpress from the domain all together in the hope of starting again. For some reason i noticed that it auto populates a box to add WP in as the directory for it. I deleted that and now the domain brings up the site and /wp-admin gets me to the dashboard. Pleased thats sorted. A rocky start!

Found a great hour long tutorial video on youtube and its got a lot of good pointers.