Word of Caution to all Sony NON X Series Owners

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I visited the Sony showroom in Tokyo where most of their products first get launched. I heard that Sony X series will remain to exists with many technological updates being made. The latest model being sold here is X2500. The ironic news is that the non X-Series models are about to perish soon and Sony will stay focussed on improving the X-Series. So potential buyers need to careful when choosing the series they wish to go for.

Thanks for this info - can you tell us any more?

Do you mean that the X-Series is going to be the one that continues to get the latest imporvements made?

Yes. It looks like that. 2 months ago the store was filled with equal proportion of all their models. Now X series have gained monopoly by light years. I have witnessed similar situations that happened with Sharp and Toshiba who decommissioned / stopped production of older models within 1 year. Sony also focusses on SXRD but it doesn't sell well with the Japanese customers who always liked patronizing Sharp LCD and Panny/Pio Plasmas.

Mine was just a word of caution especially to the Japanese and US customers

Guys,

I visited the Sony showroom in Tokyo where most of their products first get launched. I heard that Sony X series will remain to exists with many technological updates being made. The latest model being sold here is X2500. The ironic news is that the non X-Series models are about to perish soon and Sony will stay focussed on improving the X-Series. So potential buyers need to careful when choosing the series they wish to go for.

I don't quite understand, do you mean that people with a sony TX123 ABZekqlo---&$*%£", have got a model that is discontinued. So whats new?

But this is obvious.. all models are discontinued at some point.. and at the moment some point soon. :lesson:

Surley we all now that.. you buy on the merits of the current model at the current price.. What it does today will be the same as it will do for you until you change it.

Now the PC market theres a market where what u buy today and its not capable of what u want todo tomorrow. :cool:

This is really odd, because I was in John Lewis today and looking at the 40W2000U, and asked the Sales guy about when they will get any 'X' models in. He told me that 'X' is being discontinued and that the 'W' is essentially the same model but with better image quality (and cheaper because it does not come with the fancy sound effect stuff etc. of the 'X') :eek:

Now this jars with everything I have read or heard about the 'X' series but I have to ask, is there any credibility to this point of view?

X being discountinued? I think that is not the case. While the W is a great TV, it's being produced to a budget and you will always have a top of the range model. In fact, the X2500 is being released shortly.

I'm not sure what the message from this thread is though. Whatever the name, you cannot stop progress and there will always be improved models at all price levels.

As per my experience in Japan, I foresee the discontinuation of NON X series BRAVIA by Spring which is indeed a short duration to discontinue a model.

Before people get excited, we live in UK so expect yesterdays technology :)
:rotfl:

Uk 5 years later would sound closer..

(How long have some other places had HD ???)

First US HDTV broadcasts were 1998, I believe.

I think this was terrestrial, as well. Britain is still messing around over this...
at least the UK has done a great job with standard definition digital TV, though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom