Word\Excel Mail Merge Question

Stevieboy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Need to pick your brains. I have been asked to do a mail merge in Word using data from an Excel spreadsheet (something I have done many times). However, the difference is that rather than it just being name and address information from a single row I have been asked to put a list of products that the customer has purchased in the merge also.

At the moment the data is listed in the Excel sheet so for example there might be 10 rows of data for one customer that lists different products but has their name and address against each product as set out below:

Name Address1 Address2 Address3 Postcode Product Price
Smith 1 some street some town postcode TV £500
Smith 1 as above as above as above Radio £75
Smith 1 as above as above as above BluRay £300
etc.......

Overall there are around 1100 rows with around 60 different customers.

So does anyone know how I would add the data from the product and price column in a table lower down on the Word document (the name and address data would be like any other mail merge) or do I need to set out the data in a different format.

I am sure if I knew VB (as some of the suggestions in Google seem to offer) it would be pretty straight forwards but unfortunately it's not something I am familiar with.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Steve

Hi

What about creating another worksheet, with all the data in one row. So you would have name, add1,add2,postcode, product 1, product 2 ... Then merge from that worksheet.

Hi

What about creating another worksheet, with all the data in one row. So you would have name, add1,add2,postcode, product 1, product 2 ... Then merge from that worksheet.

Hi Sep.

Thanks for the response.

I had thought of that but wondered if there might be another way with the data in the format I already have. If not I will rearrange the data into one row per customer.

Steve

Steve,

If there is a unique id in each row may be a conditional if mail merge may work.

Do you need to merge the full spreadsheet?

What is the layout of the word document, is it like an invoice?

Hi Sep

There isn't a unique id on each row but I could soon add one. It a letter to customers that lists all of the products that they take from us.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Have a look at conditional if statements on mail merge, that may work. We have done some letters at work which have conditional formating and they work well.

Sep

Steve,

Have a look at conditional if statements on mail merge, that may work. We have done some letters at work which have conditional formating and they work well.

Sep

Was going to suggest this, as our software supplier provides us with a word template we run against the database and it picks up or ignores entries based upon the conditional if statements. Do not have enough knowledge to write one from scratch i am afraid.

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. Looked at the conditional formatting and can't see how it will work with what I want to achieve. I know if I put the data in a single row I can work with that so I will attemp that (might take a while with 1093 records :)).

Steve

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. Looked at the conditional formatting and can't see how it will work with what I want to achieve. I know if I put the data in a single row I can work with that so I will attemp that (might take a while with 1093 records :)).

Steve
Are you doing the data entry by hand and if it will take a long time (if there's no quick way of selecting and copying quickly), if you want I could write a short program to read a .csv file with multiple rows and convert it to one row per customer if that will help (eg. if it was say tab delimited and in the format specified above)

Are you doing the data entry by hand and if it will take a long time (if there's no quick way of selecting and copying quickly), if you want I could write a short program to read a .csv file with multiple rows and convert it to one row per customer if that will help (eg. if it was say tab delimited and in the format specified above)

Do you know, it never ceases to amaze me on this forum. There really are some of the most helpful people that frequent this site. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom