Woot - 42PHD8 has arrived !!

BeelzebubUK

Established Member
Reaction score
After lots of deliberating and cogitating and lots of questions on these forums (many thanks to everybody involved) the 42PHD8 has been delivered :clap:

This is going to be a long 3 hours at work :)

Got just enough connections to hook up my Sky+ and Xbox tonight so I can have a little play. Iscan HD+ should be turning up tomorrow so can get a good comparison before/after.

Just need to get hold of a good DVD player to hook up and finally the headache will be over :)

Woot! You should set your camera in a fixed position for the before and after so you can do an overlay :)

enjoy.....don't think I ever heard anybody so excited that they said woot! :)

Only have a 2MP camera so doubt you'd see a difference but I damn well hope I can see a difference with my own eyes :)

i will very interested in the comparison between the before and after PQ's when installing the scaler. its my next purchase, all be it, in a few months time

BeelzebubUK said:
After lots of deliberating and cogitating and lots of questions on these forums (many thanks to everybody involved) the 42PHD8 has been delivered :clap:

This is going to be a long 3 hours at work :)

Got just enough connections to hook up my Sky+ and Xbox tonight so I can have a little play. Iscan HD+ should be turning up tomorrow so can get a good comparison before/after.

Just need to get hold of a good DVD player to hook up and finally the headache will be over :)

Where did you buy it from mate? .And what boards did you have put in it?

Enjoy your new tv :)

matrixsc said:
Where did you buy it from mate? .And what boards did you have put in it?

Enjoy your new tv :)

Got it via the AV-Sales offer on these forums. They were excellent and got it within 48 hours of ordering :smashin:

Just put a component card in it (along with the standard composite/s-video) to connect the xbox/ps2 directly. everything else will go through the scaler into the VGA port on the panel. Leaves another slot spare if I fancy having a direct digital connection later on.

Plasma has no faults. No buzzing etc., no dead pixels. Blemish free.

At the moment I can only connect the xbox via component. Still need to adjust ratios as its a bit jaggy on games. DVDs look great on it from about 8' away already so can't wait to see what it looks like with a good DVD player through the scaler when its run in properly :)

BeelzebubUK said:
Got it via the AV-Sales offer on these forums. They were excellent and got it within 48 hours of ordering :smashin:

Just put a component card in it (along with the standard composite/s-video) to connect the xbox/ps2 directly. everything else will go through the scaler into the VGA port on the panel. Leaves another slot spare if I fancy having a direct digital connection later on.

Plasma has no faults. No buzzing etc., no dead pixels. Blemish free.

At the moment I can only connect the xbox via component. Still need to adjust ratios as its a bit jaggy on games. DVDs look great on it from about 8' away already so can't wait to see what it looks like with a good DVD player through the scaler when its run in properly :)

Pics Pics Pics!!! :clap:

Well these pictures do not do it justice at all. Also I'm moving house in 2 weeks time so everythings in a mess but here ya go :

One with flash :
PHD8b.jpg

2 more without flash (I should really find out how to use all the manual functions on my camera :
PHD8a.jpg

PHD8c.jpg

Running Sky+ through s-video and getting a surprisingly good picture out of it.

Another note - I'm no expert but the blacks look really really good on this panel....only have CRT to compare it to though.

I sooooo can't wait to see what the scaler can do :)

I have decided to go all silver, as the rest of my kit is mostly silver.

I shall stick some pics up when i get it, which should be tuesday unfortunately :thumbsdow

tjradiohead said:
Is that the elusive black panel and silver stand?

It is indeed the lesser spotted black with silver stand :)

2nd picture looks amazing

blimey if you think it looks amazing there wait till you see the screen in 'real life'!

mep said:
blimey if you think it looks amazing there wait till you see the screen in 'real life'!

Absolutely........those pictures do not do it justice whatsoever.

If the scaler comes tomorrow I'll try to get the camera setup for a better exposure without the flash to see if I can get a better representation.

Wish I could move my completion date to this week so I can get it out of that alcove :)

I would love to ask if this set suffers from the same side effecs the Pv500 did but i don't want to ruin the fun :hiya:

if you mean excessive buzzing and the contrast issue.......then in my experience, no it does not.

mep said:
if you mean excessive buzzing and the contrast issue.......then in my experience, no it does not.

The important thing here is if you have experienced the contrast issue firsthand before and know for sure the set you own does not suffer? Buzzing was never a problem for me but a very very faint horizontal line that is not visible 75 percent of the time was the thorn in my side, i just refuse to live with something that has this hence why i am selling it but i loved the overall picture on the PV500 and would love to buy an updated model if these issues had been addressed. This is were you come in and help me make that decision ;)

My PHD8 had to be returned for changing the contrast by itself.......AVSales (Chris) is speaking with Panasonic at the moment to see what is happening with regards to this issue. Their display screen does it too though. I've been without a set for over a week now...only had it 3 days...poo. The service is very good though and I was even offered a refund while they tried to find out what was up. The picture is so good that I only want a new PHD8 without the problem....not a refund or an alternative set.

FlyingBig said:
The important thing here is if you have experienced the contrast issue firsthand before and know for sure the set you own does not suffer? Buzzing was never a problem for me but a very very faint horizontal line that is not visible 75 percent of the time was the thorn in my side, i just refuse to live with something that has this hence why i am selling it but i loved the overall picture on the PV500 and would love to buy an updated model if these issues had been addressed. This is were you come in and help me make that decision ;)

well, I think I would notice...but can only speak for my screen of course...as blackeyepurple seems to have suffered

blackeyepurple said:
My PHD8 had to be returned for changing the contrast by itself.......AVSales (Chris) is speaking with Panasonic at the moment to see what is happening with regards to this issue. Their display screen does it too though. I've been without a set for over a week now...only had it 3 days...poo. The service is very good though and I was even offered a refund while they tried to find out what was up. The picture is so good that I only want a new PHD8 without the problem....not a refund or an alternative set.

Thanks, thats all i needed to know. I can scratch this set of my list. Good work, you have been a great help.

FlyingBig said:
Thanks, thats all i needed to know. I can scratch this set of my list. Good work, you have been a great help.

I'm sure as with the PV500 that not all sets are affected......I really hope not or i'll have to start looking again!

blackeyepurple said:

Is this a problem that is very common and plainly obvious as I am due to order tommorow?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom