• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

woolworths (worth it freeview box)

radioredcat

Established Member
Today i went to a house to install a woolworths (worth it box) which cost £16 and i took my thomson box with me in case i needed to check the the signal.
When i got there my mouth dropped,There was two aerials on the chimney one above the other and they were touching each other and aslo drooped touching the ridge tiles.
I cannot understand why anybody would put aerials so close,So when i checked the analogue all channels where grainy exept ch 5 which was non existent,The transmitter is winter hill and the aerials was in line of sight.
So i tried my thomson box and the the signal was awfull breaking up all the time and said to the lady that she is going to need a new aerial so i decided reluctantly to install the woolworths box and set it up and it worked perfectly, My eyes were on stalks :eek: i could not believe it so i had a cup of tea waiting for the signal to break up but it didn't.
The woolworths box looks ok better than others iv'e seen.
I have still advised her to get a new aerial.

andy

scribbler101

Established Member
"the woolworths box and set it up and it worked perfectly, My eyes were on stalks i could not believe it so i had a cup of tea waiting for the signal to break up but it didn't.
The woolworths box looks ok better than others iv'e seen.
I have still advised her to get a new aerial."

Why?

radioredcat

Established Member
I think the aerials are ready to fall off and they date back to the seventies,But in saying that they might not.
I always tell people if there is something wrong,If tomorrow the box stops working then they will know why.

andy

bungieben

Established Member
I'm after a box to stick in the kids room, think i will give this ago. Thanks

scribbler101

Established Member
I think the aerials are ready to fall off and they date back to the seventies,But in saying that they might not.
I always tell people if there is something wrong,If tomorrow the box stops working then they will know why.

andy
I'm all for telling her the state the ae is in. But "if it ain't broke..."

People must be spending billions on aerails at the moment when their present aerials would work fine after switchover.

radioredcat

Established Member
I'm all for telling her the state the ae is in. But "if it ain't broke..."

People must be spending billions on aerails at the moment when their present aerials would work fine after switchover.

They probibly are and most of them unnesserary but in this case i think it is.
At the end of the day it's up to them what they do about it.

andy

Mooly

Established Member

andy

Things just dont last these days :)
There is a house half a mile away with a perfect 405 line aerial on the chimney. Near Blackpool around 1/3 mile from the coast.
That would be good for DAB radio !

Tuddy

Prominent Member
Things just dont last these days :)
There is a house half a mile away with a perfect 405 line aerial on the chimney. Near Blackpool around 1/3 mile from the coast.
That would be good for DAB radio !

I use my anologue aerial (no freeview for me)for FM on my Yamaha receiver, works fine.

Jay Adam

Standard Member
Hi all,

I ended up buying the Daewoo DSD 800M that I enquired about, and so far am very happy with my purchase! Unfortunately electrical123.com are now out of stock and the Duraband I was ready to buy from Asda Direct after speaking to Andy (radioredcat), is also out of stock!

I have seen the Woolworths Worth It box on Ebay, that has received positive reviews from buyers about the box and the seller, in fact some of the buyers I contacted directly via Ebay confirmed this.

FREEVIEW BOX. NEW. on eBay, also, Freeview Boxes, Satellite Cable Freeview, Consumer Electronics (end time 06-Feb-09 07:35:55 GMT)

I'm considering buying it for the little living room in my house that is mainly used by my elderly father, and would be grateful if anyone familiar with it, especially Andy, can give me some guidance:

1) Have you heard of any faults related to this box?

2) I use the Telecam TCE 2000 (a very good indoor aerial) for my Daewoo DSD 800M box and the picture quality is very good including Channel 5. The previous Hitachi HDB73 which I bought from Argos but got a refund for because of a common fault, also showed good picture quality with this aerial, with the exception of Channel 5.

Do you guys think the Worth It box should show good picture quality for most channels with this aerial?

3) Sorry to put you on the spot..........but would you personally recommend that I go for it?

Thank you for help!

Kind regards,

Jay

tuck1

Standard Member
I have found these worth-it freeview boxes to be brilliant.

They give much improved signal/picture quality than any others i have used.Plus the features on them are much higher spec,such as they can pause live tv,own volume control etc etc.The bestest!

I did an installation last week where the signal strength to the reciever was borderline. With their Bush freeview box several channels were missing.Pixelating. I tried a worth-it box and it picked up everything perfectly.

My only regret is i only bought five of them! Anyone know how to get more pleeese!:hiya:

radioredcat

Established Member
One idea iv'e thought about is we post pics of set top box menu's we will then get an idea of which makes of box is the same.
A sort of freeview review centre which will help people choose a box.
what do you think.

andy

scribbler101

Established Member
right on

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom