1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOOHOO!!! XLS200 - Anyone using one of these with a DENON reciever???

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by EmissarY, Dec 21, 2004.

1. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya All,

Given the time of this post, I can assure u I have been tinkering with my new DF XLS200 (black) today. I cannot believe how solid and beautiful it looks!!!

I am using this with a Denon 3802 and speakers as in sig, but I am having problems finding the sound I want. Basically I am looking for that crisp tight bass sound with some punch to it. Now I have the phase all the way to 120Hz and the crossover on the receiver set to 80Hz, does this sound right or do I need to adjust?

I did the testone and my m8 came over with his sound meter and after further tweaking of speakers the system sounded even better, but I am still not pleased with my sub sound.....I just feel it could be better, for example when I play the Dolby Digital Egypt demo, I hear some rumbling and punching bass, but its not crisp and tight....what am I doing wrong?

Please help....... :lease:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I assume that you mean the crossover on the sub is set to 120Hz and not the phase which should probably left at zero.

If the main speakers are set to small and the levels are correctly set the most likely culprit will be the positioning of the sub itself. Try moving it about and seeing if that improves matters as even a few inche can make a difference.

3. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian,

Yes indeed the main speakers are set to small, and crossover on sub is set to 120Hz, cause as mentioned it is turned to the end where it clicks in place.

However, silly me did not put the spikes on, and when I did it seemed to make the sub sound more cleaner, cause its on carpet right now. Would this have been a possible problem as to why it was sounding rattley before?

Anyhoo, I am still tweaking and will continue to move around sub to see where it best fits.

Is there anything else I could do?

4. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As a fellow XLS owner, I can say that it should sound quite tight and fast.

Mine took a bit of fiddling with, and it is now set to crossover at about 70 - 80 Hz as I have floorstanging main speakers.

120Hz seems to high to me, but I suppose it depends on your main speakers.

The thing that got me for a while was that when using spikes or the floor stud things that come with the sub, make sure that they are tightened well.

If not, the box will not be sealed and it will sound like everything is vibrating as the air escapes through the gaps.

BK may have changed the design so that the screw threads do not go through into the enclosure, however on mine they cetainly do.

I have mine with the plastic studs in, which are then covered with a chunk of blu-tac, and then placed on a heavy granite slab. No vibrations that aren't meant to be there ;)

Hope this helps,

Adam.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I used to use my BK with a Denon 1802 and it was a bit of a pain to integrate mainly because of the Denon's poor bass management.

Your best plan is to set the subs phase to zero, crossover as high as it will go and the amps crossover to 80Hz. Next you should calibrate the sub's volume to the rest of your system, (bear in mind that Denon's work best with all speakers set to small). If this doesn't give you the sound you want try setting the sub crossover to ~50 or 60Hz and see what you think. Then try setting the sub's crossover back to it's bypass mode and adjusting the amp's crossover settings if it has any.

The combination of that lot should be a good starting point, otherwise an SPL meter and frequency response plot might have to be the order of the day :eek:

I'm fairly sure that BK havn't drilled the holes right through the cabinet :confused: Even if they did, they provided mine with screws in the threads which would have to be removed before the spikes could be fitted. It is a good point that spikes are pretty useless when it comes to changing sound quality unless they're screwed on good and tight. :)

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you turn the crossover all the way round until it clicks it's actually set to infinity (LFE), not 120Hz. No problem with that - in fact your setup sounds ok except for the phase dial which you might as well leave on 0 for now.

Try turning the gain down till you can *barely* hear the sub. Then turn it off for a while and listen to your stuff. Then turn it on again and go "ahhhhhaaaa!!!".

7. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:

Seriously though, will definitely try all methods suggested. I have just tightened the spikes and moved the sub around, and it does sound better in some places, problem is where my room is so small, I am running out of options.

Mufu, I did just that last night and lisyened to the difference with sub in and out of the setup and there is definitely....hmmmm...whats the word???...WEIGHT missing when no sub is there.

Still looking for the holy grail of bass at the moment though.

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Upgraditus allready , shurely not. :laugh:

9. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not Upgraditus yet, just such a mission to get the right sound from the sub...indeed is it attainable at all????? :rolleyes:

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    What sort of sound are you actually trying to get out of your sub? :confused: It should certainly be possible to integrate your speakers to your sub very well indeed (I use my BK with some smaller Mission 771e's) but it might take a little bit of effort, the methods recommended by everyone above should set you on the right track :)

11. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sound i am looking for a a crisp enveloping punch, but then i guess that would depend on the film. when i initially setup the sub i played the egypt trailer from the DD demo disc and the first 2 initial bass moments sounded like a stone was inside the sub, a little rattley i suppose. however once i put the spikes on, it cleared this up somewhat.

the sub is in the corner of my room as shown in the basic attachment diag here. the adjacent walls are plasterboard where the sub is at and the sub is on a carpet.

the thing i am wondering is, is if there is a generic setting for all subs such that any movie u play will give you the correct sound for all bassy moments, or would i have to tweak to each film individually???

EmissarY

Attached Files:

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I set up my subs and never touch them again unless my son has had a twiddle of the dials. Once you have found the optimum position of both sub and settings it should do for all films and music.

13. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok finished tweaking and I got it just right. LOVING the XLS200!!!

:thumbsup:

14. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Glad to hear it, it's an excellent sub once you've gotten it right :smashin:

You could even call it Peerless :laugh:

15. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey man, glad to see you've got it right. :smashin:
    What was it in the end, that sorted the problem out? What did you finally tweak to get the sound tight and fast, just as you wanted?

Do you use the spikes with your sub, or the puck feet? I have the downfiring version as well, and am wondering if i should fit the spikes to the feet.
    I currently have the sub with plastic feet, sitting on a heavy paving slab.
    It seems solid and doesnt move or rattle, but I was just wondering if the spikes would improve things further, (or possibly degrade things further?!?)

Any experiences? :rolleyes:

16. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In order to get the sound tight/fast I adjusted the soundlevel for the sub in my 3802 test tone menu...generally the most simplest way is often the solution...but you dont really tend to think quite so high level at the beginning.

However, I did many tests with the low level gain on the back of the sub. First I set the sub level in the 3802 menu to exactly half way. Then I cranked up the low level gain to max and set a listen level on the 3802 to -18 volume. I tested many discs suchg as LOTR Two Towers, Geriatric Park, SW Trilogy, Goldeneye (music when Bond and Xenia race each other at the beginning), and also the DD demo disc.

Once I found that the sub was sounding gravelly at my loudest listening volume, I then turned the sub level down a notch or 2 in the 3802 menu, and this was then satisfactory.

I understand that the XLS200 needs some time to break in, so I will be tweaking again the next month or so.