Woohoo, New Toy, X34p on the way!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Nivek TT, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Nivek TT

Nivek TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    Finally sorting out a PC monitor. A Predator X34p from Amazon Warehouse, coming tomorrow :cool:

Should be a big upgrade from the 1080p 40" LCD TV I currently use. Looking forward to higher framerates and lower latency.

First snag, I currently run a 10m HDMI from my PC to my wall mounted TV. Doesn't look like a 10m DisplayPort is gonna have the bandwidth for 3440 x 1440 at 120 fps. So I need to rethink the furniture layout of my study.

Hoping my GTX 1080 should get a workout, 1920 X 1080 at 60fps barely wakes it up. Though hoping I don't have to sacrifice too many visual goodies to achieve a stable but higher framerate at the higher res. Though with Gsync I suppose stability isn't quite so essential, or have I misunderstood how it works?

Its great to be a bloke and get so silly excited about new toys :D

2. CraigofScotland

CraigofScotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    You'll love it. Ive had the X34a for over a year and its one of my favourite purchases.

The best thing about ultrawide was watching movies. Its just the proper aspect ratio.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Your 1080 will have no problems and you won't have to sacrifice any visual eye candy (except maybe dropping AA a bit).

Stable framerates are not an issue. As long as you keep it above 30fps, the monitor syncs to the game framerate and you get nice clean frames. It's not a panacea for poor performance though: 35fps still looks like 35fps and you will definitely notice it. But at least it's not being compounded by your display's limitations.

4. Nivek TT

Nivek TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    I don't wanna dip below 60 FPS. Hoping for more from this monitor, not less!

5. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    You won't ;) (and even if it does dip a bit below 60, you'll probably not notice it thanks to gsync). Most of your 1080 is currently being squandered on a 1080p60 display. Once you go ultrawide, you'll never want to go back!

6. Nivek TT

Nivek TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    Well its here and all seems good. No dead pixels an I'm not noticing any banding, bleeding or other such deficiencies. Came in the original polystyrene but a generic Amazon box. All peripherals and manuals present. I'm happy! :D

Its a lot smaller than my 40" TV. Was hoping for approx the same width but nope. Of course sitting a little closer negates that and I've ordered an extending wall mount from Amazon same day, so I can bring it toward me when I want.

My little boy's Lego Batman is stuck at 16:9 and stretched looks terrible, so a lot smaller. He's not gonna like it.

Have my AV Receiver as a second monitor which I can't see / just won't use, but that allows me to use the AV Receiver for 5.1 sound.

Ran Heaven on medium settings and getting frame rates from between 80 and 120. Ran the Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmark on high settings and was getting an average of 75 fps. Need to put some more time into gaming but so far liking it.

7. Nivek TT

Nivek TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    The smoothness is wonderful! Even though my PC was happily pumping out 60 fps to my old telly it never looked like this :cool:

Seem to be averaging 70 to 80 fps in game when playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on the High preset. It looks unnatural!

Got Lego Batman running at 21:9 too. My little boy is happy!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  8. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    It's a mighty fine monitor and well worth the price. :) A lot of people tend to skimp on their display when building a PC without realising it's the one PC component that will probably outlast the rest. And it's the one component you actually have to look at!

9. ohh_danielson

ohh_danielson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +982
    I'd be surprised if you can max all games at ultra at 3440 x 1440 with high FPS. I have an ultrawide monitor but only a 980Ti, which isn't far behind a 1080 I don't think in terms of FPS, and I sturggle to max some games out. Obviously depends on the game though but I have often had to tweak some games to get a solid 60fps.

Can't beat ultrawide though, by far the best upgrade I have done.

10. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Normally the only tweak I really need is a reduction in the anti-aliasing. Of course I do run SLI, but that's only used in a few top-tier titles in my collection sadly. For the most part, it keeps above 60, in some cases way beyond it. VR poses a far bigger challenge to my rig than the X34.

11. N0ddie

N0ddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    The 1080 isn’t too far behind the 1080Ti in performance figures but I’ve not yet (In the month I’ve had my 34” Ultra Wide) had a game that wouldn’t run at the 100FPS number.

Once you go UW you can’t go back.

12. Nivek TT

Nivek TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    Lego Batman maxes it out (obviously) and started playing Aragami last night and that was unsurprisingly maxed out. Curiously the G-Synch on-screen indicator (which I'm using cause it's new :cool:) didn't pop up for Aragami yet it was as smooth as you like.

Witcher 3 is on my to play list (I'm always late to parties, especially solo player games). Looking forward to how that looks.

13. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Check that you have vsync disabled in game.

My X34A can change its led strip colour when gsync is enabled, although I've never used it. Usually I just check the on-screen FPS counter instead: if it changes as you play, then you know gsync is engaged On things like the heaven benchmark, it should be exactly synced with the benchmark's counter. It's also handy for checking FPS (up to your monitor's max) when you can't be bothered to run a disruptive third party FPS utility.

14. Nivek TT

Nivek TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    Still a little cable management to be done but here is my command station ready for some couch gaming with my boy or some 1440 ultra wide lines of productivity! :cool:

IMG_20180621_221034.jpg IMG_20180621_221202.jpg

Started Assassin's Creed Syndicate last night (didn't enjoy Aragami), mostly high settings with shadow and anti-aliasing scaled back and I'm getting from 70 to 80 fps, happy with that.

On all black screens I've noticed some back light bleed in the lower two corners, slightly worse on the right side. Its not noticeable in normal use though, so its not a deal breaker.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  15. CraigofScotland

CraigofScotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    We have the same pc case too <3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  16. Nivek TT

Nivek TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,978
    Its big but awesome, I love it! Looks very nice with those RGB fans!