1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woohoo, im gonna be HD!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Knyght_byte, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    sorry...hehe, couldnt help but post...

just phoned up a certain store with a number and a tree in their name in the swiss cottage area and ordered a 7205 refurb for 2700 of my english pounds, courtousy of the lovely Capital One folks who gave me a 4k limit on my new mastercard...lol

wanted this proj as its got good brightness (my room may not always be dark) and its got 720p native....sweeeeeeeet......so i can use it for Sky HD when its out, and play CS:S at a nice ressy as well...*grins*

all i gotta do now is get screen & cables, screen could end up being difficult cuz proj will be possibly quite far from screen (mebbe 16-18ft), forgot to measure, so am taking proj home monday next week to check what size i need.....

for cables im a little annoyed that it may cost a bit for a DVI to M1 for the length i need, but oh well, they are quoting in the region of £250 or so, sound about right to you guys? (i got a denon 3910, so not point skimping on the cable and not allowing the proper quality to shine thru) also they want around £160 for a component of similar length, again does this sound right?

anyhow, i was hoping they'd have it in by tomorrow, but its too late to get it now :-( so i gotta waaaaiiiitttt teh whole weekend knowing its mine but not able to use it...heh

:oops:

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best of luck with it..........let us know how the install etc. goes.

:smoke:

3. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    You should shop around for the cables, one sixty for component sounds steep to me, got 5mtr quality brand componednt of ebay. You should have a look.

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    ah will....i've just done some measuring...this aint gonna be easy...lol

Proj is 14ft from screen, altho i may be able to lessen that to 12ft....
    according to infocus recommendations, they say you take the distance in feet and divide it by 1.3 (for the 7205)......which means i need a 10.7ft screen (10ft 8in i guess give or take)....the only problem is they dont state specifically if they mean diagonal or longest edge....lol..they just say width, anyone care to comment on which is more likely please?

the real down side is i've worked out the cable length will be about 8m from DVD/Amp to the projector....omg thats gonna cost a fortune....thats like 25ft or so.....waaaaaaaa

i think i'll settle with a component for now, the DVI can wait...lol....get a shorter DVI for the computer cuz thats a lot closer...heh

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    well, i been to the swiss cottage branch of sevenoaks over the last 2 years for most of my equipment, damn nice bunch of guys in there, very friendly and helpful, but not in the smarmy salesman way thankfully..lol
    because i've been a returning customer at the mid-high end for stuff they sometimes have sorted me out a little, so hopefully if i blow the £2,700 on the proj and around £300 on the screen they might knock the cost of the cable down a bit....given how long i seen it needs to be i hope they do..lol

i like to buy from them tho, they stock good stuff, so it will be a class cable, and i've spent a lot of money here, on the proj and DVD player, i know cables can make a difference so i dont wanna waste me money on a cheaper cable that might restrict a bit...

dont forget its also costly because its somewhat long...lol also i dont trust ebay...heh, i know plenty people use it without problem, but knowing me i'd be the one it screws up on ;-)

6. EddThompson

EddThompson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    ive got a 3910, and use a 10 m dvi cable, got it from www.lindy.com works a treat, great picture. seem to remember it was about 40 quid.

If ive broken any rules here, sorry.

edd

7. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got a 10 metre HDMI cable for £60 and a 10m component cable for £15, and they work just fine, in fact I've compared them to 2m length cables of the same brand and I can't see any difference. Check out tvcables.co.uk

£160 for a component cable is ridiculous if you ask me, I'd love to know how they justify the cost.

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    info much appreciated folks, only thing i will ask is have you tried your setups using more expensive cable to see if it gives you an even better image? i know firsthand that cable for both video and picture can do this, i've tested with speaker cable, interconnects, and also Scart.......im just wondering how much of a difference it can make with component and DVI/HDMI cables, specially as the DVD player is a good one, and the projector is pretty good stuff too.....if it doesnt the i'll prolly get the cheaper stuff unless they do me a deal on what im looking at with them, if they bring the cost down significantly then i will stay with them cuz they been good to me in the past with accessories being chucked on free.....heh :)

9. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I too purchased my cable from 'Lindy', its a 10M DVI - HDMI, cost me approx £85 and I run a Sony PJ from my Pio 868 DVD player. As the signal is digital, I doubt you will notice any difference if you were to use a more expensive cable (the signal is either there or it's not!).

10. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a thought but - could you resite the DVD player close to the PJ and then use a cheap long coax to your amp?

11. simch

simch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my eye on one of these refurbed units from Luzerntech in Ireland at present.
    Has anyone bought from them. They seem to trade on ebay mostly, (a lot!).
    Amazing prices.......too good to be true......??

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    Well, i picked it up today.....just the pj tho, no screen....

got home....

got a white linen sheet from airing cupboard and hooked it over my curtain rail as a tempory measure till i get a screen on friday (needed to work out how big the screen is gonna be from the pj's position)...

and OMG its beautiful :)

and thats on a white linen sheet!...lol

this thing rules :)

i have fairly bright room, apple white wallpaper, so lots of reflection going on there, but ya know what? still got good definition and quite nice blacks, i havnt played around properly yet with settings either....heh

no rainbow effect that i could ascertain, mebbe im not susceptible, was watching Sahara, anyone seen that and got rainbow off it?

cable wise i plumped for a QED Qunex HDMi 10m for £110 which i took home tonight, 8m component which is on order for £120, and a DVI-HDMI adaptor for the computer (save having another cable) and a HDMI-M1 adaptor for the projector, those two cost about £60 together...erk.....

however he says he will do me a good discount on the screen to make up for it when i order tomorrow...heh, so im happy :)

neway, will give a more detailed review of it once its properly sited, set up and on a screen......but i'll say it again, rushed in setup on a white linen sheet its still absolutely fantastic :)

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    sadly no......for a few reasons...lol

main one being it wouldnt just be a coax cable, it would be a coax cable, 3 x high quality twin RCA's for DVD-Audio/SACD (which i do listen to a lot) and then component cable to the amp. oh plus another twin RCA for normal stereo use....heh

so its actually cheaper to leave it where it is and fork out for HDMI and one component cable.....possibly not by a lot, but enough...heh

the other reason would be lack of pluggage.....i have a twin socket on one wall for DVD player, Amp, TV, Subwoofer, Freeview........then on the other wall i have a twin socket for PC, Monitor, Router, Wine Chiller, Phone Charger, Projector. heh....these are hooked in to surge protectors of course, and i like to leave the second socket on each twin free for whatever, hoover etc.....

but cheers for the idea...heh
    oh, also nowhere to really put the DVD player without moving a whole lot of stuff around that i dont wanna move, i like it where it is...heh

14. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    You can get these for £2300 at Luzerntech

They were doing the 7210s for £2700 last week.

15. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    from your link its £2,400, plus £65 on the estimate for delivery, but im betting because of the size of the box despite its low weight it will be closer to £100...and that may not include insurance....

i ordered mine thursday afternoon, picked it up from the shop myself monday afternoon......and thats all in for £2700, no worries about delivery, damaged boxes etc etc....for an item like this, £200 is worth the peace of mind as far as im concerned, especially with no hassles, oh, dunno about the ones they selling, but this is packaged with 3 year Gold warranty (next day onsite replacement while its being repaired).

16. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I almost got my 7205 from Switzerland, but I'm glad I didn't. Any probs. you can call up 7oaks, which once you buy is great peace of mind.

The 3 year warranty is solely a special deal between 7oaks & CSE who distribute the Screenplay range in UK. So, you won't get that anywhere else
    :)

Let us know how you get on :)

17. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i just noticed they dropped the 7205 brand new price down to £2,800 at sevenoaks now...lol...dayum

oh well, i think thats only a normal 2 year warranty on the new one...so im happy...enuff....mine works beautifully....

hopefully picking up the screen tomorrow or thursday, but the white linen sheet is working quite well as a stopgap...lol

Friday night will be the real test, Gladiator :)
    not the the new box set tho, they dropped DTS sound the FOOLS!!!

i think i ordered a 86in screen in the end....should be about the right size :)

man, im sooooo chuffed, its seriously so much more fun watching a film on this than my 28in widescreen...lol

btw Timbo, u lucky goit, you got the 3805....i was unlucky and got the 3803 a few months or so before the 05 came out....lol...i could really do with that DenonLink for my DVD-A/SACD, free up my ext inputs for the puter...heh

18. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I've had 3805 for a few months & they're about to bring out 3806 lol.
    10 days after I got my 7205 they dropped the price by £500 :rotfl: :rotfl: .....:mad:

Additionally, you can get a 2 year lamp warranty for about £110.
    When you think new lamp costs around £350, it's good peace of mind (for me anyway :) )

Is screen 86" wide or diagonal? If you find pj too bright, which it might be on an 86" diagonal, then you can use ND2 filter to reduce, which improves blacks even more.

Also, if you're going to use HDMI from a 3910 with HDMI set to RGB you can set HDMI black level on 3910 to Enhanced which gives a very good black level.

If you haven't already, it's a good idea to get a DVE disc to set brightness & contrast. You can get them from via the projector calibration sticky for £10.

Happy viewing :)

T.

19. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    oh cool beans on the info, i havnt set it up properly yet for perfect picture as i dont get the screen till the end of the week, its 86in diagonal, but i've been watching on approx the same size with a white linen blanket, not too bright as far as im concerned, in fact its quite a nice realistic brightness....
    i watched Guess Who last night, i noticed on a split second of screenshot where its the frontof a house, on the lawn is a sprinkler, i think i caught just a small flash of rainbow effect in the water.....possibly....lol

i might have to get that DVE disc, i can probably even just borrow it from Sevenoaks, i think they use it to calibrate themselves in that shop...lol

out of curiosity, which do you find gives the better picture, the RGB HDMI or the Component HDMI setting with a HDMI cable?
    oh and is it better to have the 3910 set at 720p or 576 and let the proj handle the upscale to 720p? i will muck about myself, just thought i'd get an opinion..heh

20. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    You will probably find you get a brighter picture with a proper screen, since they are properly formulated to reflect back light in a certain way, whereas a white linen blancket isn't :) .

I think the component HDMI, when properly setup, will probably give you the best picture.

In terms of 576p or 720p from Denon, I think the difference will be small since
    the Denon & 7205 have the same Faroudja 2310 scaler. I tend to have a bit of a faff with this. Last night when I watched Monster it was best at 720p.
    Also, 1080i worked best for Attack Of The Clones. So, you may get different results for different films. I think generally 576p/720p is sharper, but I found 1080i can, in some instances, reduce the perception of video noise. But you may have different results :)

21. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    well, i got my screen, oh its a beauty...heh....cant remember who makes it now, TCI or something like that......nice compact white aluminium case, nice heavy bottom pull bar, no waves/creases, lovely crisp black bordering....

downside, my room now stinks of paint...lol
    but at least that will fade soon...

its not properly setup yet as i need to do some work with the wall/ceiling before i can hang it up, so atm i've moved my front L/R speakers back a bit, rested the top box for the screen on them and pulled the screen UP to the ceiling...lol....its a little odd, but functional....

stuck in Attack of the Clones, hadnt seen ur post so watched it on 720 setting on the 3910.......oh wow, fanbloodytastic! gorgeous detail, lovely 3D-ness, amazing colours, specially on anakins tatooine sunset speedbike ride, intense lasers/lightsabers, perfect skintones....

basically im VERY happy with the projector and the screen...lol

then later on, i hooked it up to my computer via a rather expensive VGA cable assortment.....curse my having twin DVI on the computer....lol
    and played Counterstrike: Source......for about 8 hours...heh, DAMN its fun playing that in 1280x720 widescreen over 86in of screen..

i havnt seen many other projectors, but i can quite happily say that anyone looking to spend up to £3,000 on one and is good to go with DLP, then the 7205 RULES, and its quite easily worth the dosh!

and now im off to bed...lol....nyte nyte

(to have dreams pitying those who spend this much money on plasmas and LCD flat panels thinking they getting a big screen when they could have got what i have...heh)

22. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've a 42" plasma & PJ. Try watching regular TV @ 12pm with plenty of sunlight on your 7205 ;) .

Different displays suit different environments.

:smoke:

23. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    *grins* a clever insight my dear watson.....lol

admittedly its true as well to an extent....if u have it setup say in a lounge where the missus will be as well...lol

mine is in a room solely used by me tho, so i will soon be fitting blackout blinds on the windows behind the screen, so technically speaking i can use it at any time of day...lol

however i'm actually very happy watching normal TV (quiz shows, comedies etc) on my 28in widescreen Philips CRT....heh....but will use the PJ during daytimes once in a while for a film or some CS:S'ing....lol

If i wanted it to do various (TV, films and puter/games), and would be in a room u couldnt control light properly then yeah, a plasma makes more sense, either on its own or to accompany the PJ..

mind u, another reason i cant get a plasma, i only got 45 total inch clearance between top of CRT and ceiling, so my screen size for PJ would be lost if i bought a bigger plasma screen to replace CRT...lol

but my original dream comment was made to people who buy a plasma just because they want a big screen for films......and could control environment in the room its going in, a few at my work did.....showed one of them the PJ on the weekend, he is saving up now....lol

24. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Agreed. I also wouldn't fancy running my PJ day in day out watching TV etc, switching on/off regularly. TV or plasma will cope with that a lot better. Also it's easier to clean peanut butter (from young sticky hands) off a TV screen than a fixed projector screen. Does get a bit stuck the speaker grills though..PJ :D

25. stryker

stryker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is just me or do all the big UK electrical retailers have no interest in Pj. Why? cos they'd rather sell a 50" £13,000 plasma than a £600-£1000 pj :)

Its a shame, because if the PJ market grew to the size of the TV/LCD/Plasma market, we'd be paying like £300 for a 720p ready PJ.

26. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i think there is a few reasons major retailers show very little interest in PJ's, one of which is after sales support, you can buy a plasma/LCD, go home, put it on a stand, plug it in, it works, ta da!

a projector requires a lot more stuff to do, so either the shop charges extra and hires people to go round installing or the customer does it themselves...not very appealing to the average home user......who lets face it, gets lazier the better technology gets...lol, 'plug and play' is what the masses want, not 'mount projector, mount screen, plug, calibrate, play'....heh

27. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think you make some good point here. A PJ does take a lot of setting up relatively speaking, and it probably does require more after sales service.

Also it's difficult to create the conditions to show them well (but I suppose that's never stopped them stocking RPTV's!).

I would think though that if any of "big retailers" do try to bring PJs to a mainstream audience they'd prove to be very popular sales-wise!...PJ :)

28. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    It wouldnt be so bad if the terms used for setting up a projector wernt so cryptically technical.....lol...the average home user might find it easier...

Keystone?
    Gamma?
    Throw Ratio?
    etc

be honest, unless you either read up on the subject, or have always had a reasonable knowledge of life outside your own little sphere, these terms wouldnt mean crap, i'd say a large portion of people would say keystone is a pendant for magic, Gamma is something the Incredible Hulk plays with and Throw Ratio is Daley Thompsons latest attempt to get into the 2012 Olympics....lol

29. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Market is same in Finland: no pj just plasma,plasma,plasma or lcd,lcd,lcd. Only in special stores for home theather/projectors you find projectors.

30. cosa

cosa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    enjoy your 7205 its plenty bright to wach grand prix,s and football with some light and amazing with nd2 filter and light control at night its the best projector i have owned for day and night watching