1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woohoo, first plasma will soon be with me! Running in question...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SilverPenguin7, Jun 7, 2004.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I finally did it, I orderd my first Plasma - a Panny PW6 (thanks to Alastair @ AV Sales for answering my numerous questions beforehand!!).

Just a quick question regarding the 100 hour running in period. During this time do I need to just make sure no static images are left on screen (and only watch 1:85 ratio dvd's). Also do I need to leave contrast etc as factory supplied or can I change these straight away?

Woohoo, roll on the end of the week - with any luck the HK2550 I ordered from Play will turn up mid-week as well. Can't wait to see the difference between my 4 year old bottom of the range, SVHS connected Sony dvd player currently running on my 28" Sony w/s and the HK, component fed, running on the PW6 :clap: :clap:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    has anyone professional actually stated anything about this 100 hour rule? I dont believe it personally, fair the plasma may be more at threat, but it is just a case of dont do anything stupid. Maybe one of our pro plasma men would tell us their thoughts.

ad

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Not having the manual in front of me, I can't say for sure what the manufacturer's advices is for running-in. But I believe that the phosphor on the screen is most sensitive at the start. This is why it's generally accepted that you should be careful not to show static images (such as train timetables) for extended periods. Otherwise, just a bit of common sense. And that goes for all displays. Leaving a scene on pause isn't going to do any harm, showing that the 9:15 to Euston is late will!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats the sort of consideration I make John. Somehow there is the feeling that the slightest use of a calibration disc is going irrepairably damage you screen.... the general opinion on this is almost as daft as the concept of regassing the plasma!

ad

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There was one calibration disc (very famous) which recommending putting the contrast up until part of the picture started to bloom. Fine for poor quality TVs, but since the better ones could max out without blooming, you had an over bright picture. This is very true for plasmas which being digital wouldn't bloom out at all.

Calibration discs are fine, but they're a tool and should be used as such. You might have another tool that's better for the job, such as how you prefer to view the screen.

Regassing - just the other week there I was talking with a retailer and he thought you had to regas plasmas. He was buying some of my products, picking my brains at the same time. As I previously commented, when filling up your screen, use Shell's Optimax for a better picture!

All the best,

John.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :D John..... the question I must ask is whether you were nice and smiled not wanting to offend your customer or set him straight!?

ad

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Using all my diplomatic skills, I told him you couldn't. That, in actual fact a screen is at less than atmospheric pressure to keep the glass stuck to the front!

All the best,

John.

8. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the replies there people. I was wondering how much of a myth it was! :)

9. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,162
    Think mine's only up to 10 hours, and although I'm careful with it, there's no way that I WON'T watch a 2.35:1 movie for the first 100 hours! A couple have been through it already!

Damn, this plasma is good:)