• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Woofer has woofed its last woof

james25182

Standard Member
I have a three-year-old AV system comprising Anthony Gallo Micro Ti speakers x 5 and a TR-1 subwoofer. But my subwoofer has died. I have an Onkyo TX-SR503E AV amp driving it all and would like to get my woof back.

Now, funds are very limited due to arrival of #1 son to household so I'm really looking for what my best option is. I'm happy to look at second hand/ex display/discontinued subs if anyone knows a good source of such things. Does anyone repair speakers? I suspect it's something to do with the power supply as the power light doesn't come on - and I have tried replacing the power cord.

Ta muchly!

James

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Have you tried contacting the place you bought your speakers from, they will likely be able to tell your best options as far as repair goes. Failing that you need to post your max spending limit and we can certainly help find you something for your budget.

james25182

Standard Member
I haven't spoken to the people who sold it to me yet - I only discovered the problem today. I shall give them a shout on Tuesday and see what they say.

Budget has to be less than £150. Preferably no more than £100.

Cheers,

James

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Your best waiting to see what they say then. In the mean time I'll have a little search about and post anything worth pointing you towards, most likely a pre-owned sub. TBH at that kind of budget repair is probably the cheapest and best option, the last thing you want is to spend £150 and then not be happy because its not as good as it was.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Youve probably already done this , but just in case ....

Have you checked the fuse ? ( The location is in the picture on page 5 of the pdf below )

Heres a quote from the manual ....

9- FUSE: Protects the TR-1 from abnormal power conditions. This fuse
is located under a small cover located in the AC line cord outlet.
(Only use a T2.5A 250V fuse when operating on 115V)
(Only use a T1.5A 250V fuse when operating on 230V)

http://www.roundsound.com/manuals/tr1-manual.pdf

Last edited:

t72bogie

Prominent Member
also contact Gallo UK for service - Ive had some speakers repaired in the past, out of warranty, for a very reasonable price ...certainly better than buying a new sub...its likely you could ship it there for £25 and get it repaired like new for well under £100

james25182

Standard Member
Thanks for the help everyone.

In case anyone has a similar problem in the future, there is another fuse other than the one in the plug on the power cable. There is a fuse on the subwoofer itself just below the socket for the power cable. This was blown on my sub but AG kindly included a spare located in the cover! I was impressed! Unfortunately, connecting everything up again and turning it on just blew the new fuse too. :thumbsdow

Anyway, in contact with AG support so hopefully they can offer some help.

Cheers,

James

james25182

Standard Member
Update:

Shipped the Subwoofer to AG and they diagnosed a short in the amplifier. Quoted £40 + VAT to repair. In actual fact, they charged me £40 inc VAT and delivery to repair. I paid about £12 for the shipping back to AG so for just over 50 squids I have a fully working sub again!

So, moral of the story is: If something breaks, ask the manufacturer for a repair before going and spending a fortune on new kit - unless you're just looking for an excuse to scratch that "upgradeitis" itch :D.

Cheers AG, and thanks to all for your help.

James

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom