Woofer Action!

U

ukaser

Ello...
Looking for some help setting up my system...

I'm running Celestion F3 Floorstanders, S8 Sub, Centre and KEF Coda Surrounds on a Yamaha 5540RDS. The room is approx 12x10 feet...

The question is what should my crossover and frequency be set to? Indeed, what should the amp settings be at for optimum sound?

I find music through stereo is ace, but the base seems to 'echo' from the sub, almost firing a bit late.

When I'm watching movies it's fine, but I find the I lose a bit of voice sometimes, although I've been told that this is a symptom of the amp..

Any ideas folks... greatly appreciated...once its sorted pop round for some thumping sound!

G..

hoppaz

ukaser said:
Ello...
Looking for some help setting up my system...

I'm running Celestion F3 Floorstanders, S8 Sub, Centre and KEF Coda Surrounds on a Yamaha 5540RDS. The room is approx 12x10 feet...

The question is what should my crossover and frequency be set to? Indeed, what should the amp settings be at for optimum sound?

I find music through stereo is ace, but the base seems to 'echo' from the sub, almost firing a bit late.

When I'm watching movies it's fine, but I find the I lose a bit of voice sometimes, although I've been told that this is a symptom of the amp..

Any ideas folks... greatly appreciated...once its sorted pop round for some thumping sound!

G..
Crossover on amp could be set at 100hz or 80hz (the sub will supply most of the low end freq. in this case which is my personal choice). Try both and see what sounds best. The sub should have the phase set to 0 (180 makes it boomy) and the crossover frequency and level settings depending on you preference for bass. I set my s8 at roughly 1 o'clock on the level and this doesn't make it too overpowering and the crossover at around 2 o'clock. Avoid siting the sub near corners and make sure the port underneath is facing away from the wall.

Ideally you should buy a sound meter to set each channel sound level. If you have problems with the centre becoming lost try upping the centre level one or two notches.

Top Bottom