Bargain Expired Woody Allen: Seven Films 1986-1991 (£34.99) / 1971-1978 (£29.99)

IGC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tOEDL1f.jpg

1986-1991. Pretty good direct from Arrow £34.99 here

tJw9AfM.jpg

The first set 1971-1978 is still £29.99 at Amazon here

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm gonna CeX my copies of Love and Death and Annie Hall, too good a price to pass up the '71-'78 Collection.

nfVQ7BR.jpg

The seven film release is only £18.99 at Simply here 10% off code NEWSHE10 (thanks to Sarah7) = £17.10.

Free delivery over £33 or £2.99 making at total of £20.09.

The 71-78 collection is way better and are there actually any extras?

The 71-78 collection is way better and are there actually any extras?

So, you're saying you prefer his earlier, funnier films?

I don't think there's many extras anywhere apart from the odd German DVD that slipped through Allen's contract exclusions.

So, you're saying you prefer his earlier, funnier films?

I saw what you did there!

Yes, I do. I think he started moving away from pure comedy and more towards comedy drama, which is fine as he is a very good filmmaker anyway.

Funnily enough, my favourite film is "Play It Again, Sam" which has never had a Blu-Ray release, sadly.

e4bQFRE.jpg

Yeah, Play It Again, Sam, is an incredibly warm film where Allen just has one job: act.

Paramount just don't give a damn about most of their back catalogue. Polanski's The Tenant (Paramount) has popped up in Australia on Blu-ray so there is hope.

We'll always have Top Gun: Maverick. I honestly thought that was a joke trailer so at least we know Paramount is still alive.

Strange perhaps, but i actually enjoy Woody's films more on crappy looking dvds. Adds to the nostalgic atmosphere.

Strange perhaps, but i actually enjoy Woody's films more on crappy looking dvds. Adds to the nostalgic atmosphere.

Actually, I was wondering if there was any picture benefit to upgrading to HD? I know there's no sound benefit as they're still Mono (or Stereo?).

There are some fantastically cinematic shots in "Manhattan", but I generally don't really see him as a particularly stylish filmmaker, his films are more about characterisation and dialogue, not sweeping vistas and a cast of thousands.

Actually, I was wondering if there was any picture benefit to upgrading to HD?
Greater resolution, more accurate colours, no compression artefacts, for starters, the usual improvements.
I know there's no sound benefit as they're still Mono (or Stereo?).
What does the number of channels have to do with anything?

I still have 500 or so DVDs and they look damn awful. Maybe 200 will never receive HD treatment and that's a shame.

Allen's films in HD look fantastic compared to anything that came before it even the slightly dodgy Nordic releases of his later -less funny- films look amazing and get me close to how I seen them in the cinema.

The DVD image of Everyone Says I Love You is miserable compared to the far from great Blu-rays releases. After that -except for Sweet and Lowdown- I've not liked anything he's done and most of it is unwatchable and samey. That Amazon film Wonder Wheel was just about OK it's a pity he lost that deal (but not the money if he wins his court case) as it gave him some bigger budgets.

What does the number of channels have to do with anything?

I like 5.1, even pseudo 5.1. Lossless mono still sounds better than compressed.

I'd grab "Play It Again, Sam" on Blu-Ray in a heartbeat.

Great collection apart form interiors. Why isn't play it again Sam not out on blu Ray?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom