Wooden Home Cinema

HCK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We had recently moved house and my wife was kind enough to allow me to dedicate a room to a home cinema. We had a converted cellar in the previous house, so there was a home cinema gap in our new abode. We also had a cellar in our new house but we had enough rooms, so a cellar conversion was not needed. The boss wanted an industrial theme running through the house as it was a converted mill. A brick back wall was asked for but I managed to convince the good lady towards a wooden themed home cinema. I didnt fancy attaching brick slips to plasterboard!

So the long process started of sourcing some reclaimed pallet wood and get started on the Wooden Wall of Woe (abbreviated to WWOW). We managed to get around 250 wooden pallet tops. The prep work took 3 weeks to clean, de-nail, sand, and stain the wood. This is why i named it WWOW!

To get the room as we wanted it we had to get the concrete floor levelled and a few patio door leaks fixed. Since we got the room finished the boss has allowed me to upgrade the AV Receiver to a Denon AVRX2200, Monitor Audio Bronze 6 floor standers, Monitor Audio Bronze Centre and some Onkyo atmos speakers. Needless to say I was spoilt for Christmas!

I also had enough reclaimed wood to build a 9 foot home cinema stand. Having never built one before, I'm pleased that it is still standing!!

The room prior to my DIY attempt
home cinema.jpg

home cinema-2.jpg

Start of WWOW
home cinema-3.jpg

WWOW complete and wooden floor down
home cinema-4.jpg

Home cinema stand assembled
home cinema-5.jpg

Home cinema stand stained and varnished
home cinema-6.jpg

Room finished :)
home cinema-7.jpg

home cinema-8.jpg

home cinema-9.jpg

home cinema-10.jpg

cont..........

....cont
home cinema-11.jpg

home cinema-12.jpg

home cinema-13.jpg

Wow. Looks really good. Great use of the pallets. :)

It looks stunning :)

How are you finding the sound quality? By that I mean are you getting any echo or harsh treble, as a result of all the hard surfaces?

Incredible, love that wall.

How are you finding the Atmos speakers? I have a pair but haven't had a chance to test them out with an Atmos soundtracked film yet

Thanks. I think I still need to position them better and adjust the levels. I downloaded some Dolby Atmos demos and they sound a lot better than the Atmos films. I think realisitcally in-ceiling speakers would be the best option.

It looks stunning :)

How are you finding the sound quality? By that I mean are you getting any echo or harsh treble, as a result of all the hard surfaces?

Thanks. That was a worry when I was setting up the room, I put a rug in front to help diffuse any sound. I must admit I have not noticed any harshness. It sounds better than my previous home cinema.

Have you tried lifting the Centre speaker to on top of the AV Rack - it looks too low on the bottom shelf.

I'd also bring the Front LR that bit forward to ensure the front of the cabinets 'clear' the AV Rack - loudspeaker cabinet designers spend an age trying to minimise the effect the front of the cabinet has on air being moved by the drive units.

Joe

Have you tried lifting the Centre speaker to on top of the AV Rack - it looks too low on the bottom shelf.

I'd also bring the Front LR that bit forward to ensure the front of the cabinets 'clear' the AV Rack - loudspeaker cabinet designers spend an age trying to minimise the effect the front of the cabinet has on air being moved by the drive units.

Joe

Thanks joe, the centre speaker is always lifted on top when we watch a movie and put back when the TV is on. I'll try your suggestion with the fronts.

Got a few updates to the room. Firstly, I have added the Elac Debut A4 atmos speakers, I originally had the Onkyo's. These are definitely better but I think the best way to go is in-ceiling speakers. I will say that having tested Atmos films compared to Dolby Atmos trailers, the trailers sound far better, why can’t they put this quality of audio into the films!! In-ceiling speakers will be a future upgrade.

I added a second sub which is a MA silver RSW12, this was a warehouse item which I got for £200. The day after I got it the sub amp developed a fault, which got sent back for repair. MA had no amps for this sub, so they put in the latest amp which is on the MA Silver W12....result!!! Not bad for £200 :)

We finally put the projector on the ceiling, I got an electrician to do the power and I did the HDMI cable. The HDMI cable is high speed so hoping it will handle 4k as the length is 50 foot for when I eventually move to a 4k projector.

I built a bookcase for Blu-ray and memorabilia out of reclaimed wood, took me about 10 days in total to make. The boss likes the bookcase so much that she wants a 2nd one built...that can wait until next year :)

hc (1 of 1).jpg
hc (1 of 1)-2.jpg
hc (1 of 3).jpg
hc (2 of 3).jpg
hc (3 of 3).jpg

Attachments

• hc (1 of 1).jpg
    hc (1 of 1).jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 60
  • hc (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    hc (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 62
  • hc (1 of 3).jpg
    hc (1 of 3).jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 64
  • hc (3 of 3).jpg
    hc (3 of 3).jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 70
  • hc (2 of 3).jpg
    hc (2 of 3).jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 72
'The HDMI cable is high speed so hoping it will handle 4k as the length is 50 foot for when I eventually move to a 4k projector' - that worries me as no 50' (15m) cable is High Speed, other than an Active cable and those (can) have a different set of problems.

Fibre HDMI is the only way to ensure you will be covered for UHD 4K at that length.

Joe

'The HDMI cable is high speed so hoping it will handle 4k as the length is 50 foot for when I eventually move to a 4k projector' - that worries me as no 50' (15m) cable is High Speed, other than an Active cable and those (can) have a different set of problems.

Fibre HDMI is the only way to ensure you will be covered for UHD 4K at that length.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

As its a cheap cable I will take my chances with it. As 4k projectors are way off financially at the moment, its going to be a while before I worry about the cables 4k viability :) Also knowing the route the HDMI cable takes, its easy enough to replace the cable if needed. I did a search for fiber HDMI and they are a tad pricey! But I guess you get what you pay for :)

Fibre HDMI - not cheap but do work with UHD 4K, which is mostly not the case for 15m HDMI cables.

As you say not such a worry if you are sticking with a FullHD 1080p Projector for now.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom