1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wooden floor - will it echo ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by HMHB, Oct 16, 2002.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I'm thinking of getting wooden flooring installed in my lounge which has all my AV and hi-fi in. I've noticed that when I had my hall done it became more echoey and am wondering if this is inevitable in the lounge ?
    Any comments would be gratefully received

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wooden floors will lead to more sound relections that carpeted ones. You can help with the problem by making sure you have heavy, preferably fabric based furniture, decent rugs and thick/heavy curtains (ideally 'bunched up' as much as possible).

Unless you have a huge room that should be enough to resolve any major problems.

3. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have laminated wooden floors. The sound does definatly change, it is more light and airy now, and does tend to echo if your speakers are not in the right place. But you have to make a choice out of cosmetics of your house or sound. But there is a balance... I think...:cool:

4. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh yeh, also, try to get the best quality underlay if you do get laminated flooring(or similar).... thats helps ALOT to make the sound better....

5. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have wooden floors througout the lower floor. I recently changed subs to a PS1000 and the distortion was massive. I asked around (there are several other threads going) and the advice was to place some carpet under the sub. I managed to do this last night and the sub now sounds excellent.

Definitely worth a try.

7ThGuest :)

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With wood floor, the best room treatment is a rug between you and them, to absorb early reflections...