Wooden box with glass door wanted

BugblatterII

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm deliberately not asking for an AV cabinet or similar because that seems to add about a grand to the price.

I basically just want something to contain my Marantz SR7012, which is 17.3" x 16.2" x 7.3 (44cm x 42cm x 19cm). If it could also hold the BluRay player and a Nintendo Switch that'd be handy but it's not mandatory. Narrow, not much wider than the amp, rather than wide.

Glass door so I can see the display and use the remote but still keep everything safe from the kids. Could be an entirely open back, just need to get cables out and have some ventilation.

I don't mind chipboard as long as the finish is decent. Black to go with the decor and my soul.

I've found very few units that would work and I think the cheapest was £650. I know I've spent a fair bit on my system but paying £650 for a wooden box with a glass door kinda sticks in the throat.

Obviously if there's a cabinet made of sapphire-impregnated granite incorporating leylines and meteorite dust that guarantees vague improvements couched in meaningless terms then take my money now, but failing that are there any options that are closer in price to the intrinsic value of a box?

I think I'm in an odd mood today...

Ikea besta with glass door and back panel removed ?

Thanks, that might work. The amp's backside might hang out the back a bit but that seems to be the fashion these days.

I have a denon 6300 in one. With the amount of cables hanging out the arse of it, and the heat coming off it, I am glad it's got no back

It's also a lot easier to hook up new kit as necessary

I've gone for it, £87.50 delivered. Cheers John.

Thanks, that might work. The amp's backside might hang out the back a bit but that seems to be the fashion these days.
In addition to removing the back as @John suggests. You can also increase the cabinet depth (and stability) by securing some battens to the wall, then securing the besta unit (minus its back panel) to those battens. The thickness of the battens used will determine how much extra depth you can/want to achieve. Essentially you wall hang the cabinet on the battens...

Eg if the besta is 42cm wide. By adding a 5cm thick batten(s) and securing the besta to it, would give your unit a depth of 47cm. (42cm - for the besta + extra 5cm created by the batten).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom