Question Wood Floor or Carpet

DeepDiver

Looking to update/renovate my living room/Home Cinema equipment later this year.

My question is that I currently have carpet which needs replacing. So, should I replace it with a wood floor or carpet. Not sure which is better for sound. My initial thinking is that a wood floor will produce too much echo?

Thanks for reading

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I'm asking myself the same question for a dream build.
Go for carpet for the reason you suggest.
I was reading this site: Acoustic Treatment Setup 101: How to Treat Your Room for High Fidelity Listening & Mixing
Although it's mostly for recording studios etc, they do make comments on home theatres.

It says:
I advise against carpeting the floor, but a small area rug can be put under the listening position to absorb first reflections from the floor.
Carpet absorbs high frequencies much more than mids and lows. When over used it can have a cheapening effect on your sound, making your room sound dull.
I appreciate that if you're room hasn't got much treatment then it's probably to live, and so carpet could help, but if your room has good acoustic treatment, could it be better with wood on the floor?

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
That might work fine for stereo where more 'liveness' is needed, but I'd steer clear for movies. I've yet to see any dedicated movie room designed with solid flooring. I've even seen some high end (Erskine) cinema rooms angle the lower portion of a wall so that sounds are reflected into the carpet, and thick felt underlay is recommended for it's absorption qualities over others.

With multi speaker surround you have a lot of sources for the audio so the requirements are generally different to stereo/music.

This is a long thread but there's a lot of info in it:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...5432-acoustical-treatments-master-thread.html

But you could always go for solid and see what it's like, and then cover it with a rug or rugs to tame it if it's too live.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Thanks Gary.

That's a really good thread. Do you think ceiling speakers (now we have Atmos etc) chances anything?

I get the impression the arqen site jumped to conclusions on the flooring.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I think upfiring speakers that rely on the ceiling bounce will obviously need to retain a reflective surface, but I'm not sure if there will be treatments for ceiling mounted speakers - it's quite possible though, especially if you're measuring the room effects. It's probably covered in the thread above so might be worth looking into. I didn't go that far with mine and just treated the walls and floor.

I preferred having my Atmos speakers more into the room and followed the commercial guidelines instead of the home ones, so less sound makes it to the sidewalls and more is absorbed by the people, seats and flooring. I've no idea how good or bad it's working as I haven't measured it, and without a reference or before/after comparisons I don't know if there are any improvements to me made.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom