1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woo-hoo! I've ordered my Shiva's!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by mike.hutch, Feb 19, 2003.

1. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    After much deliberation and reading various forums, mostly being influenced by the thread 'Finding a Sub Driver?' on this very page, I've finally ordered myself two Shiva III sub's for my room.

:D

They are going in two 95ltr enclosures ported at around 20hz, and also porting into each other at around 30hz, which is something I have been experimenting with that seems to let each driver 'see' a bigger enclosure that it is really in. I've taken a big risk by building the enclosures into the floor with the drivers facing upwards, sitting slightly below floor level to allow a grille to be fitted. Should be getting 150w RMS each from an
    Alesis RA300 power amp, unless I can find something a bit smaller with about the same power at the same sort of price (£155)

I'll post some pics of my room when there is more to see.

:) :) :)

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Holy floorshakers, batman!
    And there's me faffing about the build of a straightforward sealed single driver enclosure.....

3. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Great choice on the AdireAudio Shiva Mark III's.

Have you built the enclosure as what you descibing porting between the enclosures is a very very bad idea.

The drivers will not see a larger size box due to shared airspace, it will totally mess up the 20 hz vents tune point and probebly turn it into a extremely boomy broken bandpass style enlosure. :thumbsdow

Highly recommend you stick to the standard 95 ltr with a 20 hz vent tune, the adire alignemnts have been tested so many times and proven exelent performers.

Good luck!!

4. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Do you think so? I had thought about opening them into one big enclosure with the two drivers in, that looks ok in Bassbox. I have experimented a bit with internal porting, but not between two enclosures both with drivers in.

Actually, thinking about it, you could be right, they will end up fighting each other for air. Might work if it was a sealed enclosure though.

5. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yep the best way top go is to have one enclosure sealed, divided in the middle so you have two seperare 95 ltr areas each with there own Shiva driver and long port vent.

This will keep both tuning points correct, add to your sturctoral bracing, protect the drivers incase of a problem and will still give huge output down to ultra low depths.

You are going to have an amazing bass output once done, I envy you, I wish I had the time and money to build truely amazing subwoofer.

Perhaps later in the year when I am not snowed under I will think about building a Shiva MK III or LAB 12 monster subwoofer.

6. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Oh one additional question, where are you getting the Alesis RA300 power amp for £155?

7. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yep, I think I'll scrap the idea of porting them into each other, it's too much hassle to seal them up at a later date as they are built into the floor, and will be carpeted over.

I also considered a couple of LAB12's for this project, but decided on the Shiva's as they were over £50 cheaper (for the pair) and they have a bigger Xmax and lower Fs.

Alesis amp at £151 here but they do charge £15 for shipping.

8. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you're interested I've got a Hypex HS200 that I bought from Adire, cost just short of £300 with the import duy, VAT and shipping costs. It's in 'as new' condition as it was never mounted in a box. More details here:

www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/amplifiers/hs200.htm

9. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks, but I'm not really after a panel mount amp, there's no where to mount it.

:)

10. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just got my Shiva aswell, hoping to get a bit more extension than my current IPL 10" sub, be an interestign comparison.

Decided that the materials are so cheap I'm probably going to build a couple of boxes and experiment, I'm half way through a 88l sealed enclosure at the mo.

Also why are there 2 sets of terminals on the Shiva ? do I use anyone or both ?

Cheers

Slingshot

11. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Shiva is dual voice coil, One set of connections is for each voice coil. Use both coils in parallel for a 4 ohms load or in series for a 16 ohms load. It is is also possible to short out one coil and use the speaker as 8 ohms.

12. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Rooms coming on now, here's a few pictures:-

The first is of one of the floor subs, the second is just the corner of the room, and the third shows the mounts for the plasma wall bracket. All this now has plasterboard on it, at last!

Anyone here used Sound 15mm plasterboard? it's very heavy, and not much fun fitting it on your own- not looking forward to the ceiling!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Still waiting for my Shiva's though... :(

13. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That's looking fairly impressive, I'll have to get myself an invite and pop up from Swindon for a listen.

I can't imagine what that's going to sound like, after just setting up my Shiva in a 90L sealed box one on it's own is impressive.

Keep us posted on how it's going.

Just out of interest are both your subs in the corner ?

14. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yep, one sub in each corner either side of the screen. The room is very small, so it should sound ok, it's a bit of a risk because I can't move them if they sound bad, but I can always take the drivers out and seal up the holes!

15. 64kym

64kym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Long live the Shiva, love my 88ltr sealed baby !yours sounds like a fantastic project.