Wonders of the Universe background music volume poll

Was the music in Wonders of the Universe too loud?

• Yes

Votes: 61 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 197 76.4%

• Total voters

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Ridiculous that the BBC cave on this subject IMO.
Some idiot said that music is fine for movies which have an emotional element, but documentaries are different. Rubbish. You tell me that series like Cosmos, Wonders of the Universe and any nature program with David Attenborough aren't moving. The music adds an emotional element which makes the documentary better.
I have tinnitus from playing drums and motorcycle couriering and I could hear the narration on Wonders of the Universe just fine.
The BBC should stick to their guns on this one.

I don't think it was too loud, I do think at times it sounds like the score from sunshine, but thats about it.

IMO the BBC are wasting a lot of cash on this series, its good and all that but why are they sending him to chile or where ever to see a cremation or something.

It should be more like 'The Universe' and save cash on flying him all over the place. He does more locations than David Attenborough.

Can we have a "I haven't really noticed the music" option in the poll?

Well that obviously equates to not thinking it's too loud. You're not supposed to notice the music.

Cosmos was an amazing series from the early Eighties and the music, which some would say was a little louder than other documentary series they had seen, just made for an emotive connection with Carl Sagan's journey. Loved it then and love it now, leave well alone.

KH

I think the problem is with these sorts of programs is that they do push the mix in favour of 5.1, when the majority of people will probably just be watching in stereo.

The Sarah Jane Adventures for instance when watched in stereo, was nigh on impossible to hear what people were saying over the music, which was totally bombastic and drowning out everything else. When watched in 5.1, the vocals came through perfectly!

I like the guitar twang music in this series :)

Never noticed any "loud" music. Seemed fine to me.

no!! I can't believe there is even a poll on this?

Just watched a bit, and yes the mix isn't quite right for the narration.

Watched the 2nd ep last night and didn't notice anything odd.

I'd probably go with what TonyA said as a possible reason for some peeps complaining.

I love the music from the series, however the most of it is the same as his wonders of the solar system, its too loud never crossed my mind once. Yes, it is a very costly show to make, but I think it sets it apart from most documentaries, just due to the fact he uses examples that you can relate to, and because of that you understand what it is he means when he applies it to an event in the universe.

no!! I can't believe there is even a poll on this?

Because following 100 complaints, the BBC decided to remix the series.
The poll is my way of venting that the BBC are wrong.

Because following 100 complaints, the BBC decided to remix the series.

Maybe we should pick another random show and get >100 of us to complain, see if they do anything.

Last edited:
It's so good I didn't notice. Might be better at a lower level though.

I suspect that the majority of members of this forum:
1. Have a decent sound system, rather than crappy TV speakers, and
2. Are quite young and do not have diminished hearing like many of us over thirty!

For the majority of viewers, it's quite possible that the music seemed over-bearing. Unfortunately this is often the case with TV programmes nowadays. Why does every documentary have to have wall-to-wall music? Why are TV companies so afraid of quietitude or just natural sounds? (So what do the rings of Saturn sound like???!!)

This is the first Ive heard of it, ridiculous decision by the BBC.

this series is truly AWESOME and the BEEB has dropped a b*%%£(! over this one, the music adds to the whole programme experience!

I haven't seen the programme but did watch the related video on BBC News. I am fed up with loud music from films to live singing on programmes where I cannot hear the actors/singers clearly. Often I have to put the subbies on TV when watching a live music performance to get what they are saying.

Give me quieter music that actually adds to the programme/film rather than just drown out everything else.

IMO the BBC are wasting a lot of cash on this series, its good and all that but why are they sending him to chile or where ever to see a cremation or something.

It should be more like 'The Universe' and save cash on flying him all over the place. He does more locations than David Attenborough.
I find the series somewhat offensive for this reason, license fee payers money being wasted on expensive foreign trips just for some 30 second metaphor. Yeah mine shafts are dark and so are black dwarves. Guess what Brian, there's lots of dark stuff in the UK too. It's also the way they beat you round the head with the metaphors.

I don't really like the presenters choice of vocabulary either. Iain Stewart can explain something without sounding like he's talking to primary school children, and we don't have to be told he's a professor every 10 minutes either (seriously, what's what all about?).

The show is very light on real science as well. If you're into astronomy and astrophysics at all, you won't learn anything from it. I dislike most 'TV science' programs because they're either dumbed down or presented as dramas, but this series seems particularly bad to me. It's not what I've come to expect from the BBC.

I guess I'm not the target audience :p

The last episode had quiet music, it was better for it. Not so sure if this is teaching much though. To me it is more like teaching you not to learn anything. If you believe fiction to be true you approach the truth with caution.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom