Wondering what's new

• Thread starter Deleted member 173019
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 173019

Hi Guys, was looking at a Logitec 525 as a cheap way of controlling my HTPC, Sammy TV, Xbox360 and Sony DVD/Surround system when I noticed the Harmony 555. Have looked on the Logitec pages for each of these devices and aside from the change in screen colour I really cannot see any change?. What am I missing?

Also does anyone know the best place to buy one of these?, looking at £50 at Amazon, can anywhere beat that (for a 555 IF they are better), or anyone got a second hand one they want rid of? (WANTED post is in the classified section).

Cheers

Rich

The 555 has separate "sound" and "picture" functions.
The 525 is averaging £35.

Cheers for that hhatkin, so is it worth the extra £15 I wonder, I am not one for changing contrast etc on the screen, just changing channels and adjusting volume!

Any thoughts?

Thanks again

Rich

Hi Guys, was looking at a Logitec 525 as a cheap way of controlling my HTPC, Sammy TV, Xbox360 and Sony DVD/Surround system when I noticed the Harmony 555. Have looked on the Logitec pages for each of these devices and aside from the change in screen colour I really cannot see any change?. What am I missing?

Also does anyone know the best place to buy one of these?, looking at £50 at Amazon, can anywhere beat that (for a 555 IF they are better), or anyone got a second hand one they want rid of? (WANTED post is in the classified section).

Cheers

Rich

The main difference between the 555 and the 525 is that the 555 has Sound and Picture buttons. Pressing either of these gives you an alternative set of button mappings, effectively giving you 3 sets of buttons per activity.

They are intended for tweaking of picture or sound settings without having to go into device mode. E.g. you're in the Watch Sky activity and buttons like the direction buttons and OK are controlling the sky box. If you want to change the contrast on the TV, you can press Picture and (providing you have set the picture buttons up accordingly) the direction and ok buttons now control the TV for navigating the menus. Similarly you can press Sound and control your amp.

To make way for the sound and picture buttons the Mute and Prev buttons have been moved to 2 tiny grey buttons further down the remote.

There are other cosmetic differences. The 555 has a rubber back instead of a plastic back which gives it a slightly better feel. The orange backlight you've already mentioned.

Other than that they're the same.

I've had both in the past. I preferred the look of the 555, but I didn't like the prev button location (this may be because I was used to the 525. I also never bothered setting up the picture and sound buttons as I haven't got an amp and I don't mess with the picture settings. I did find that the Picture or Sound buttons got accidentally pressed and there was a moment of confusion that none of the buttons were worked before I realised what had happened.

If you have a need for the picture / sound button functionality then go for the 555, if not go with what you think looks nicer.

Either way I doubt you'll be dissappointed.

Phil

Many thanks guys, now going to hunt for the best prices.

Thanks for your time fellas

Rich

Sorry to pester guysbut following your sage advice I have pretty much decided that the 555 is the one to go for (in case). I was wondering as I have a Sammy LCD TV, would the Harmony auto select AV channels? For example my Dvd player is on AV one, but my TV works through my HTPC (through software). Would it allow me to click Tv and go to the right AV channel automatically?

Cheers

Yes phil - that's what brevity can do!:D

rich: In answer to #3: As you don't need the one special feature of the 555 then the 525 would be the one for you - but now #7!
On any Harmony you set up Activities that use any combination you like of your devices, and each one looks after the powering on and input settings of each of its devices - so the answer is yes.:clap:
H H

Last edited:
Ah, perfect HH, many thanks. Appreciate you taking the time. Have been reading up for hours now and keep finding text that makes it seem like I could, but without having the device in front of me (or never having seen one in the flesh) I was unsure.

Many thanks Guys.....

Rich

OK Rich - A Google search will find you the current best prices - H H

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom