Answered Wondering how to wire up my new Marantz PM7000

Gobonono

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have just acquired a gorgeous Marantz PM7000, and am wondering how to effectively wire it to my subwoofer (Dayton SUB 1200). New to this stuff, so sorry if this is a dumb question. Any input at all is appreciated!

P0176015.JPG

5189sHa6wgL.jpg

The Dayton Sub has Speaker Terminal Inputs (Hi Level Inputs). Connect those to the Speaker-B terminals on your amp. Do NOT use the the Hi Level Outputs to your existing speakers.

Wire your regular speakers normally to the Speaker-A terminals.

Adjust the Sub to the crossover frequency is appropriate for your speakers, and set the Sub Volume so it is balanced with your speakers.

If you want weighty music, turn Speaker-B On to engage the Subwoofer, but on those occassion when you want music that does not disturb others, simply turn Speaker-B Off to disengage the Sub.

The amp does appear to have Jumper on the Top Left Side that join the Pre-Amp Section and the Power-Amp section of the amp. If you buy "Y" Splitter cables, you can splice the Subwoofer in here by connecting to the RCA connectors on the Sub (top right of Sub control panel).

Just for the Photo, here is what an RCA Splitter Cable looks like -

Tara Labs Prism 2200s RCA Subwoofer Splitter Y-Cable (2 Male to 1 Female) - SewellDirect.com

You need TWO of these. (2xMale + 1xFemale type cable)

On the top left of the amp, remove the short Jumper Bars. Using two Splitter cables connect the RCA Male connections to replace the Jumper Bar. Then connect a standard RCA cable that is long enough to reach the Subwoofer to the Female RCA on the Splitter. Do this for both channels.

That should replace the Jumper Bar and feed the Pre-Amp to the Power-Amp, and still leave a split off branch to go to the Subwoofer.

Steve/bluewizard

Thank you so much for the reply, I would never have figured this out on my own! Why exactly do I need the extra jumpers/processors if the speaker is already hooked up to the amp? I have no idea what a Jumper Bar is, I'm super new to this stuff. Thanks again for the help!

Thank you so much for the reply, I would never have figured this out on my own! Why exactly do I need the extra jumpers/processors if the speaker is already hooked up to the amp? I have no idea what a Jumper Bar is, I'm super new to this stuff. Thanks again for the help!

It is one or the other, not both.

You have two options -

1.) Use Speaker Level connections, which is as I first described. Connect Speaker-B to the Hi Level Inputs on the Sub.

2.) The alternative to the above, is to use the "Y" Splitter cables in place of the Jumper Bars on the Amp.

One or the other, not both. Which you use will depend on which your prefer. Both are effective, and connecting the Sub to the Speaker-B terminals will add virtually no load to the amp. Plus it will give you a very easy way to engage and disengage the Subwoofer as circumstance call for.

As to what a Jumper Bar is, look closely at the Top Left Corner of the Back of the Amp. You see a section labeled "Processor" with FOUR RCA connectors, one pair labeled IN and the other pair labeled OUT. Connecting IN to OUT are black Jumpers.

If you choose to splice the Subwoofer in here, then you will need to remove those black Jumpers and replace them with "Y" Spitters.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Ah, I see now. Thanks again for the help, Steve. Speaker wire arriving today, can't wait to wire it all up. Appreciate all the help.
-Todd

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom