Wonder Woman 1984 Movie Review & Comments

That is simply not the case at all.

From the above.

Jenkins also shed light on why she was initially hired for Wonder Woman before leaving the project for a time, opening up room for director Michelle McClaren to get hired while Jenkins pursued Thor: The Dark World, a job that ultimately didn't pan out. She shared, "Finally, the moment came [when Warners wanted me to make the film] and there was a moment they wanted to make a story that I wasn’t the right person for, so I [left and] said, 'It can’t be me,' and they hired someone else [MacClaren] for a little bit. I told them what kind of film I wanted to make. I said, 'I don’t think this is the story you should tell with Wonder Woman,' and I didn’t want to be the one to get in a fight about it for years."

During the period of time Jenkins left Wonder Woman the first time and later came back, she got a sinking feeling about Warner Bros. not having complete faith in the potential success of the movie. She told Maron, "During that period of time, there were so many scripts, I could see the writing on the wall. The was an internal war on every level about what Wonder Woman should be."

Jenkins went on to explain how things finally smoothed over to the point that some actual progress could be made on the movie. Per Jenkins, Warner Bros. eventually came back to her after McClaren left — "Actually, do you wanna make it your way?" — and, as the director notes, "Boom, I just made the movie."

Actually I think the above is pretty 'new' details that were not well known before. I don't think Patty Jenkins was ever officially hired back in 2004 to do Wonder Woman, she may have been in discussions behind the scenes at the time, I accept. The reason is, its hard to find anything official on this, whereas you can find releases/news articles around Patty getting hired for Thor 2, Joss Whedon getting hired for WW in 2005/2006, then Michelle McClaren getting hired, but nothing on Patty Jenkins getting hired for WW before she replaced Michelle McClaren. But happy to be proved wrong.

I also believe @Coulson is correct, once Patty came onboard the story was written and most of the pre-prod was complete, that isn't to say she didn't have input on how the movie was made/directed, and tone, and would have had no doubt influence on changes/edits to the story/script, but she certainly didn't conceive the movie from scratch, she was a Director for Hire, in as much as that means when it comes to directing movies.

Accepting that a lot of these stories/interviews were done, prior to release, I hope she dials back on some of the "look how great I am versus the evil studios" rhetoric that I keep reading, because she made a bad movie, that in ordinary theatrical release would have flopped very badly, down to Birds of Prey level, given how bad the word of mouth would have been, it would have opened very strong but then plummeted, in my opinion. Releasing on HBO Max in the major marker may well be the best thing that could have happened to her.

Actually I think the above is pretty 'new' details that were not well known before. I don't think Patty Jenkins was ever officially hired back in 2004 to do Wonder Woman, she may have been in discussions behind the scenes at the time, I accept. The reason is, its hard to find anything official on this, whereas you can find releases/news articles around Patty getting hired for Thor 2, Joss Whedon getting hired for WW in 2005/2006, then Michelle McClaren getting hired, but nothing on Patty Jenkins getting hired for WW before she replaced Michelle McClaren. But happy to be proved wrong.

I also believe @Coulson is correct, once Patty came onboard the story was written and most of the pre-prod was complete, that isn't to say she didn't have input on how the movie was made/directed, and tone, and would have had no doubt influence on changes/edits to the story/script, but she certainly didn't conceive the movie from scratch, she was a Director for Hire, in as much as that means when it comes to directing movies.

Accepting that a lot of these stories/interviews were done, prior to release, I hope she dials back on some of the "look how great I am versus the evil studios" rhetoric that I keep reading, because she made a bad movie, that in ordinary theatrical release would have flopped very badly, down to Birds of Prey level, given how bad the word of mouth would have been, it would have opened very strong but then plummeted, in my opinion. Releasing on HBO Max in the major marker may well be the best thing that could have happened to her.
The info was new but the result was the same. She was the director in a similar way to a TV show director. The Runner determines the framework, then the stories and direction of the show. The director does their job within that framework. That's the job, not a judgement.
I'm not sure why you need to "funny" people who disagree with you. But yes, let's leave it here.
People disagree with me all the time. Hell I sometimes disagree with myself lol. Yes I can see how the "funny" could feel disrespectful and that was not my intention. But saying I made it "personal" is so obviously far from the truth that it was laughable. So ......

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note, inappropriate ratings will be deleted and repeat offenders will be warned.

That is simply not the case at all.

BTW also from the article above:

When Jenkins was officially hired, she recalls that her working relationship with Warner Bros. was almost immediately beset with tension. She tells Maron, "They wanted to hire me like a beard; they wanted me to walk around on set as a woman

That's a deliberate re-ordering of the what Patty was talking about to make it seem like she was talking about her relationship with WB and Wonder Woman.

So I wouldn't put much store into these articles when they telling only her side of the story and they deliberately (no matter what John Campea says) mislead the reader to make the story more sensational.

A lot of who-ha on here.

My short review: very poor.

The first film had a good style about it, there was some humour and a level of chemistry between the leads.

This film is completely sunk by a central McGuffin which weighs it down in nonsense, making everything that happens pointless. It also has the sentimental view that there is no evil just flawed characters in every department.

Lastly, it is a sequel that gives Wonder Woman even less depth than the first film, her actions are almost entirely defined by someone else.

And the action was boring.

Isn't the other issue with this information also that it's basically all from one source, Patty Jenkins?
I bet there are other sides to the story, there always are.

I'm pretty sure studios exposing internal conflicts wouldn't go down well from a PR perspective and certaintly won't boost sales. Having said that, I've never bothered to look into it, partly because like I say there are at least two sides to every story and sometimes you'll never find out what actually happened.

We just can't get enough of Marvel, we're excited to watch this!

It's funny, apart from the CGI, sometimes I feel the same way about individual episodes of the madalorian and also about TLJ, but no one's allowed to criticise them, because Star wars. It's ironic in a way, due to the nature of the perceived agenda (for some).
I thought the entirety of the mandolorian was dull, very good looking and the sound was brilliant but the story to me was dreadful.

Available as a cross-platform Premium rental from Wednesday 13th. Be interested to see if the Premium VOD reviews are as bad as the ones I've read here and elsewhere.

Saw this last night with the family - have to say, probably the worst film I've seen in a long while!
I really want to like the WW franchise, but casting Gal was a mistake (imo).
Yes she's attractive, but she lacks any depth in her acting abilities. I appreciate this is a super hero movie, so she doesn't need an Oscar winning performance, but it was all very substandard. I found the movie very frustrating and annoying to watch...

I agree that ATMOS was dire. The sound barely matched the action and center channel lacked clarity and fullness.

Makes you wonder (pardon the pun!) if in a few years time @Conrad. it won't just be Bass EQ to adjust the balls up in the soundtrack but a new 7.2.4 EQ!

4/10 as I’m in a forgiving mood.
Enough said.

Yes, it really is a poor film. Maybe its me but I also don't find Gal that attractive either.
If your a heterosexuals' male I get some new glasses, I have a discount intro with Glasses Direct if you want. :laugh:
If she was my girl I think all my Birthdays and Christmas's for past and future life's had come all at once.
Mind you she have to stand in line behind Famke :rotfl:
aa gal g.jpg

Drinking yes. Drunk no. Remember everyone has different likes and for some they will enjoy this. Not me or my family though. Wife walked out of room within half hour. Lucky for her. She’s not a fan of super hero films anyway. Older Teenagers thought it was boring. Soo who is this aimed at?

Re Gal. This isn’t about looks.. I think she’s great for the part but the actual storyline/film was boring. A real shame.

Scoring is a 4/10 for me because:
6 underground, although silly was at least a little fun to watch 6/10
Outside the wire.. maybe 5/10... maybe.
....and this, that could have been good and had a couple moments where I thought this is what the film should be..... gets a 4/10.
Either way it’s just my opinion of it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom