Wonder Woman 1984 Movie Review & Comments

Just watched this. I liked the first one, but this was proper garbage. Almost everything made no sense, so many "buh?" moments, terrible CGI, terrible editing, barely any sort of story or action (after the opening scene, the next bit of WW in action comes at nearly 90 minutes), a complete mess.

If WW 1 was a 7/10, this is about a 2/10.

Great opening and the mall scene was decent but was similar to the opening of superman 3 kind of vibe. The rest of the movie was a complete bore then picked up towards the end but was kind of too late by then. Why did this need to be 2.5hrs it's a comic book not an epic, movies are getting way too long. The mid credit scene was a nice surprise. Good picture poor sound no surround or uptop whatsoever. 5/10 for effort.

Last edited:
Haven't watched it but not surprised if its underwhelming.

DC just don't know what they're doing. Their only fairly impressive superhero film was Wonder Woman 1 until the last half an hour where the budget seemed fairly thin on the action scenes.

DC seem to be at their best with the Nolan films & Joker, which are downright modern classics; but their more 'friendly' universe is a shambles.

I hope the reboot of Batman is good, but I'm utterly dissapointed they've managed to not follow through on the first Wonder Woman because I thought that film, for the first 2/3 or so, was utterly fantastic as an origin film.

As much as Gal Gadot is god damn damn gorgeous, alluring, adorable and seductive, I do feel that she struggles to paint a more complex three dimesnional character in her showings. I thought maybe Warner Bros would provide her with the canvas to do so; but it sounds like they've decided not to...

Hopefully they at least pack a 3D release next year with IMAX scenes and fix the audio which everyone seems to think sucks for an immersive soundtrack for the physical media release.

Great opening and the mall scene was decent but was similar to the opening of superman 3 kind of vibe. The rest of the movie was a complete bore then picked up towards the end but was kind of too late by then. Why did this need to be 2.5hrs it's a comic book not an epic, movies are getting way too long. The mid credit scene was a nice surprise. Good picture poor sound no surround or uptop whatsoever. 5/10 for effort.
The mall scene started the downward trend for me. I've seen better wire work and CGI on the CW and I don't mean that as an insult to the CW, because their production values improved each year even if the shows themselves went in the opposite direction.

The sound was ok, about the same as most films of this type. There were quite a few surround effects and also limited discrete height effects, mainly the lasso.
Hopefully they at least pack a 3D release next year with IMAX scenes and fix the audio which everyone seems to think sucks for an immersive soundtrack for the physical media release.
Wonder Woman 3D is mediocre at best so I don't hold out too much hope for this one.

This audio in this film isn't from the top echelon, but it does not suck either lol.

I like Aquaman, Shazam and WW DCEU movies. I don't hate Justice League either. But Man of Steel is probably my favorite. This film comes somewhere below Justice League for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
This movie has several problems working against it.
-The fact that it's being streamed at the same time as showing in cinemas is just throwing away money. Whenever this happens hours after its first released thousands will have illegally download it.
  • if you're a fan of the comics, it's another slap in the face by Warner Bros. They've basically "luthored" the main villain character. So this guy is supposed to be smart and Lex Luthor level devious, however just like with all the Superman related live action movies, they've made the guy a joke. As for the secondary villain, they pretty much "Cat Woman"ed her, ala Halle Berry version, in other words, lame and blurry/poorly "CGI"ed.
  • If you don't follow the comics it's pretty much all over the place with what she does with the lasso, with the armor, with her abilities, etc.
On a positive note, as a fan, I enjoyed the mid credits scene.

The sound was ok, about the same as most films of this type. There were quite a few surround effects and also limited discrete height effects, mainly the lasso.

Wonder Woman 3D is mediocre at best so I don't hold out too much hope for this one. The audio isn't from the top echelon, but it does not suck either lol.

I like Aquaman, Shazam and WW DCEU movies. I don't hate Justice League either. But Man of Steel is probably my favorite. This film comes somewhere below Justice League for me.

I liked Aquaman in everything but characterisation. I found every single character so hollow. Technical masterpiece.

Shazam I loved. Completely forgot about that film. It has that classic 90s feel combined with Superhero themes. Could potentially be a classic franchise.

JL & Batman vs Superman I just find very very very very lacking for what they could potentially be.

Man of Steel, I need to rewatch in 3D as I think I'll like it more.

Man of Steel, I need to rewatch in 3D as I think I'll like it more.
The 3D is ok, nothing special, "maybe" slightly better than WW. I love how they did Clark Kent as well as Superman, I loved the villains, the Hans Zimmer score (which has been copied by others), just about everything.

Aquaman is the best looking DCEU 3D film because of Atlantis. Those shots look stunning.

steaming pile. Not worthy of a cinema release. Worst thing ive seen all year and ive seen some sh#te.

who directed this, who wrote the script? its a f##king shambles.

Just a side note you mentioned the score at the end was from kick ass & sunshine..it was actually ‘a beautiful lie’ from BvS by Hans Zimmer/Junkie XL which I really appreciated & a nice little bit of thematic linking in the DC universe but why the hell didn’t they use the WW theme more...?

I think the theme he might have been referring to was the first flight scene, I've definitely heard that in kick ass. The later scene in the bunker was a beautiful lie as you mentioned from BvS.

Saw this in IMAX last week, was disappointed only the opening (the best sequence in the movie by a long shot) and closing moments were in the full imax ratio. Film was a bit of a boring mess to. Moved the character forward but nothing else really. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the original film but that was a masterpiece in comparison to this. Think I gave it a generous 5.5 in the other thread.

no interest whatever. tie me to chair fix my eyes open like "clockwork"I wound not watch. please film industry put money to better use.

A 5 from me, it was a mess. Not sure it could be fixed even with editing. Why set it in the 80s and ignore the music from the period, there were only about two 80s tracks. Instead we had opera music!

If there is a 3 I'm not gonna bother. Best bit was the end scene, which is after a few minutes into the end titles.

I felt some pangs of doubt a few months back when I read some of the director's commentary but like a lot of people I was still rooting for it. After watching the movie and a few more reviews I was surprised how much of the nonsense I missed. But I was hoping for the best and I'm used to watching crappy movies.

For example I was so enamoured on how they used Steve Trevor that I didn't notice how much of a tool the rest of the male cast are, leering and leching their way through the film. Yes I did see the Kristen bits which I'm sure sounded "empowering" on the page. But I didn't instantly pick up on the rest. Mainly because I took them as isolated incidents but thinking back, she was trying to make yet another point here.

I was also bothered by the taking over someone else's life, but why would WW be ok with that? The answer of course is that she wouldn't. To Cas' point, grand points are being made, the issues of today must be addressed. But to do that the film and its characters are warped and bent to breaking point. Isn't this agenda film making 101? Isn't this why we had characters wearing bin bags being empowered rather than just kicking a*se like they should have been?

A step back from the first one, but then I think the first one was magnificent, so it would've had to go some to beat it. Liked Gal, of course, but the first hour was too slow and the story itself, despite ultimately threatening the world, somehow felt small and trivial. Liked WW's arc as she gained more powers but that's one of the problems with prequels is how come she never used them later on in Justice League? Overall I found it entertaining enough but not as good as it should've been. Loved the end credit sequence, though.

This was awful, don't even bother when its free on Netflix :(

Thanks for the review Cas, I have to admit that this was already on my "not really interested" list as I was one of the minority that hated the first one.
I might have watched this when it became cheap/free to stream but don't think I'll bother now.

Really poor baddies and doesn't add anything to the bigger DC Universe. I agree with the 6/10 as I love a super hero film. This is the weakest of the DC films though which is a shame as the first one was great, bettered only by Aquaman.

Warners decision to release all their movies simultaneously in cinemas and on HBO Max makes sense now if they're all like this. I thought the first WW was pretty good but this is terrible. Even by comic book standards, I thought the plot was pretty silly. I had no idea what was going on by the end but I was three quarters through a bottle of Baileys.

Does Warner Bros have someone like Kevin Feige overseeing the DC universe? Because they ain't doing it right.

Warners decision to release all their movies simultaneously in cinemas and on HBO Max makes sense now if they're all like this. I thought the first WW was pretty good but this is terrible. Even by comic book standards, I thought the plot was pretty silly. I had no idea what was going on by the end but I was three quarters through a bottle of Baileys.

Does Warner Bros have someone like Kevin Feige overseeing the DC universe? Because they ain't doing it right.

Yes, Walter Hamada, they make a big deal now over not concentrating on a shared universe and just allowing their filmmakers to realise their unique visions behind the conceit of the multiverse. However after Birds of Prey and now this, I think they may have a problem. Especially if Justice League Snyder Cut is well received.

Yes, Walter Hamada, they make a big deal now over not concentrating on a shared universe and just allowing their filmmakers to realise their unique visions behind the conceit of the multiverse. However after Birds of Prey and now this, I think they may have a problem. Especially if Justice League Snyder Cut is well received.
I'm not sure if the Snyder cut will be as good as people think it will be. If you think about it, BvS was a trial run and that was a disaster. It sounds like he's trying to one up the original Avengers film with Darkseid being a Thanos surrogate. Also using Stepenwolf who a lot of people already don't like seems dodgy to me. Unless he's learned the lessons from BvS I can't see how Snyder handling a film with even more heroes and villains can work.

Kristen Wiigs character has REALLY got me in the mood for The Thundercats “live action” movie, more than ever! :D

Kristen Wiigs character has REALLY got me in the mood for The Thundercats “live action” movie, more than ever! :D
Wow! If that CGI mess excited you for a Thunder Cats movie then what would even half decent CGI do to you ? They'd have to take you to the hospital lol.

I'm not sure if the Snyder cut will be as good as people think it will be. If you think about it, BvS was a trial run and that was a disaster. It sounds like he's trying to one up the original Avengers film with Darkseid being a Thanos surrogate. Also using Stepenwolf who a lot of people already don't like seems dodgy to me. Unless he's learned the lessons from BvS I can't see how Snyder handling a film with even more heroes and villains can work.

I think Man of Steel gets better every time you watch it, and should be much better regarded than it is. BVS was in some ways shoehorned/rushed to quickly get to JL, and it shows, and it was not Snyder intent to do that movie so soon, rather a MoS sequel. BVS was again compromised in terms of the cinema release, the extended Director’s Cut is far better, and I do like it. I said even on seeing the Cinema release that it was at least had a vision and tone, that was not trying to copy Marvel, and I stand by that. I am really looking forward to the Snyder Cut, given that he has a 4h canvas to say everything he needs to say rather than try and edit to a studio-mandated runtime, and I still give Snyder a lot of credit in terms of how the Aquaman and WW movies turned out, as despite some tonal shifts into the light they were still the characters he realised for his universe.

I think Man of Steel gets better every time you watch it, and should be much better regarded than it is. BVS was in some ways shoehorned/rushed to quickly get to JL, and it shows, and it was not Snyder intent to do that movie so soon, rather a MoS sequel. BVS was again compromised in terms of the cinema release, the extended Director’s Cut is far better, and I do like it. I said even on seeing the Cinema release that it was at least had a vision and tone, that was not trying to copy Marvel, and I stand by that. I am really looking forward to the Snyder Cut, given that he has a 4h canvas to say everything he needs to say rather than try and edit to a studio-mandated runtime, and I still give Snyder a lot of credit in terms of how the Aquaman and WW movies turned out, as despite some tonal shifts into the light they were still the characters he realised for his universe.
MoS is one of my favorite movies. It's beginning to get the recognition it deserves. BvS is one of my least favorites. BvS was effectively a trial run for his JL vision. It failed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom