Wonder Woman 1984 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

antsims

Distinguished Member
I loved this film! Pure escapism. I’ve loved the character all my life. Lynda Carter signed my tv series box sets when she was in Chicago in London.

duffbeerdrinker

Distinguished Member
Quite enjoyed the movie this afternoon. Not as good as the first film but still very entertaining. I don't understand all the negative comments for this one. It was like a good old fashioned 80s/90s movie.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I loved this film! Pure escapism. I’ve loved the character all my life.
Wonder Woman is probably my favorite superhero. The first film mostly does her justice. This film is a travesty.

Quite enjoyed the movie this afternoon. Not as good as the first film but still very entertaining. I don't understand all the negative comments for this one. It was like a good old fashioned 80s/90s movie.
I like quite a few "bad" films. So let's say I ignore the almost universally panned writing, direction, cgi and in some cases acting.
We are still left with male r*pe. How do I get past that one? It's a man so it's ok?

bongo123

I'm utterly shocked that there are people out there that actually enjoyed this film on some level. It's beyond redemption, there's nothing in it that could be considered decent, everything was woeful, the writing, the story, the acting absolutely everything an utter embarrassment.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed this a lot more the second time round and the 4K image was fantastic. Off choice to only have IMAX scenes at the beginning and end of the movie, especially considering it was t the final action piece but rather the closing shot.

brian s

Distinguished Member
It's interesting what a panning this film received, yet the DVD and Blu-ray are currently the number 1 and 2 best sellers on Amazon.
There was little or no competition. Lots of us will have bought it as there are very few new films coming out but it wouldn't have had to sell that much to hit number one. I suspect it'll also be number one on the list of discs to be sold on to CEX. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Bri

Zombie Twin

There was little or no competition. Lots of us will have bought it as there are very few new films coming out but it wouldn't have had to sell that much to hit number one. I suspect it'll also be number one on the list of discs to be sold on to CEX. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Bri

It is certainly indulgent sh*te. Everything the original achieved is chucked out the window in endless waves of clumsy storytelling, indulgence, wacky characters, fan-service, ill-advised comedy, unfocused writing and surprisingly middling CGI.

Resale started the day it came out. Released on Monday, and a used 4K edition the Missus had already snagged on ebay was on the doormat by Thursday. And disliked by Friday evening.

She paid £12 for it, but I think I'll keep it, just for completion's sake. She loves a bargain, to the point where I think I've found her spirit-animal...

1617003663390.png

Last edited:

brad123

Me and the wife are in the oh it can't be that bad we'll enjoy it group but jeez this was awful. Not funny at all, editing everywhere, laughable scenes and questionable acting from Mr Mandalorian. Way way too long and some of the costumes were just stupid. How could they get it so wrong.

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
My wife is a massive fan of the first one and Gal Godot in general, but even she's conceded that WW84 is a load of poo.

It makes Birds of Prey look competently put together, which is no mean feat.

micks_address

yeah got hbo max to watch it over christmas and while the image quality was great thats about all i can say about it. I was so disappointed as the trailer had me more excited than i should have been... must be the best trailer to most disappointing movie journey i've ever been on...

Lrehcsa

Despite reading this thread I made the mistake of watching this, truly awful on every level.

Extra points for spotting Gal Gadots husband and kids in the film though.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Not entirely sure why people keep banging on about ‘male rape’, I concur that the story thread in question doesn’t work, it’s weird and have could easily been resolved in a rewrite but to act like it’s some sort of moral outrage is going over board.

Lrehcsa

I missed the part when Wonder Woman donned the strap on of truth, what Male rape is everyone referring to?

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
I missed the part when Wonder Woman donned the strap on of truth, what Male rape is everyone referring to?
I presume
they’re referring to Diana seeing the appearance of Steve on that other guys body and then having sex with him, knowing it can’t be Steve cos he died

micks_address

Yeah that seems to be the issue although I doubt I’d complain to much if Wonder Woman thought I was Steve and wanted to spend the night

Clark1983

Best bit of Wonder Woman 84?? When ‘a beautiful lie’ music came on from batman vis superman (Wayne’s parents murder opening music) - it’s a sexist film towards men, Steve Trevor is ridiculous, the action is awful, the suit lasts 2 seconds, cheetah is awful, they went for superman 2 (lester cut) as inspiration for the opening, the villain was awful, the stunt work was awful and compared to Zack Snyder’s take on Wonder Woman - it’s so lame. The Steve Trevor thing - he should of just come back from the dead as a vision or something, then did a whooping Goldberg / Demi Moore ghost moment. The end was sh*t, cheetah was horrible.... wire work was horrible. Let James Cameron direct the next Wonder Woman... he knows how to portray badass women. 1/10 - saved by the music at the end. How can it go so wrong compared to the 1st movie? At least ZSJL portrays her as a badass. Horrible film In every way.

PassMeTheSalt

Standard Member
I haven't even managed to finish this disaster of a movie. The story is pathetic, the (rather limited) CGI action looks ridiculous. I liked the first Wonder Woman movie, although I think it got a bit carried away at the end. But this one is just awful.

In the age of wokeness and recent and largely justified insistence of consent the sheer blindness of the sexual relationship with the possessed guy is incomprehensible.

The stupid wish rock concept is such bad story telling, the jumping in a jet fighter Steve could never have flown and then flying to Egypt, without refueling. Oh and suddenly gaining make things invisible powers when you need them. Worst movie I've nearly finished in years.

I haven't even managed to finish this disaster of a movie. The story is pathetic, the (rather limited) CGI action looks ridiculous. I liked the first Wonder Woman movie, although I think it got a bit carried away at the end. But this one is just awful.

In the age of wokeness and recent and largely justified insistence of consent the sheer blindness of the sexual relationship with the possessed guy is incomprehensible.

The stupid wish rock concept is such bad story telling, the jumping in a jet fighter Steve could never have flown and then flying to Egypt, without refueling. Oh and suddenly gaining make things invisible powers when you need them. Worst movie I've nearly finished in years.
I couldn’t get past the first 20 mins!

goingoingong

Distinguished Member

None of that is as bad as lassoing lightning and jumbo jets. I think there was also lassoing clouds but my brain switched into does not compute mode and that recollection is a bit hazy.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
So many awful things in this film not least of all the male rape sub plot ( can you imagine the reception if the genders were reversed ???).

Wonder woman’s conveniently inconsistent super powers

Almost every male character is a potential rapist / villain / stupid mysoginist to be taught a lesson.

toxic garbage

RedZep

I thought it was ok, certainly not as dreadful as led to believe on this thread and not as bad or incoherent as some MCU offerings.

It got the same feel as one of the original Superman movies.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Well, I finally watched it (over Easter, along with Tenet).

It was not as bad as I expected. I'd say a 5 is pretty much bang on. I dare say there is a pretty good film buried in there somewhere. But it'd only be 90 minutes long.

Holds a mirror up to the '80s and how ugly it really was. Greed, sexism and naff fashion. I've still got no idea how people can get so nostalgic about the era.

I found the audio a little flat, not quite as bad as the Disney terraced house mixes. But still a little uninspiring. I had to crank everything up and bump up the sub. But I had just watched Tenet :)

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
I did not watch the film yet, but can anyone tell me why they named it 1984? Is it alluding to Orwell in any way? If yes, then what links these two?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors