Wonder why anyone bothers with Freeview

Starburst

Distinguished Member
It's no secret that DTT only covers around 74% of the UK population and for those a simple aerial upgrade may be the biggest investment required (apart from the box but that doesn't count).
For those outside or in marginal areas then larger aerials, boosters etc may provide partial reception but there are times no amount of money will get DTT into your home until such time as analogue is shut down.

It's always wise to see how any neighbours are doing and then get a professional opinion before spending more than the price of a STB.

ROYOLD

Yes - the only way. Check your postcode with the DTG.org and particularly get local knowledge - neighbours are the best bet.

ninegt

Standard Member
mhuk05 said:
That's why I bought a non-$ky sat. system- no Freeview reception.
hi
with out been cheeky what have you got how much and how do you rate
out of 10 as i am thinking of going that way my self but dont know any one for advice

According to the blurb "The majority of UK homes are now able to receive FREEVIEW".

I can't in Ipswich, our friends in Edenbridge, Kent can't, the outlaws in Burgess Hill can't, the ex outlaws in Hastings can't, my brother in law can't.

They'd all get Sky without a problem.

ns1col

Standard Member
It may be worth borrowing a freeview box to see if the TV doesnt like the aerial set up.

Its worth a try.:)

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
sean5302 said:
Wonder why anyone bothers with Freeview
Perhaps because many of us are in better reception areas than you appear to be. I've been using DVB-T from Emley Moor since the days of ONDigital, with my original aerial and downlead. In a second room, I have another aerial in the loft. In both places I get 100% glitch-free reception (except if using the Pace Twin, but that's another tale) and always have. I'm about 30 miles away but I can see the mast (with binoculars) from my upstairs windows.

And it's free. That's why I bother with Freeview.

So, where are you and are you supposed to be able to get a clean signal from Emley?

neiljones

I wanted a good picture with digital sound in my new office
I have a co axial lead from my Sky + box servicing an amplifier in the roof ( a bungalow with easy access)-unfortunately nicam sound is not available with this process.

I bought a Panasonic freeview box from Argos-now on offer from £65 down to £45.

Used the RF coaxial from Sky box to Freeview box-most channels had a 100% reading but could not get Channel 5 or BBC radio transmissions.

With the help of this forum identified I had an aerial problem, which surprised me because the quality of the pictures being serviced by the rf output of the sky box at source was terrific.

Went to Maplins-wide band aerial with all the fixings and pole and powered amplifier-£24.99

Drilled two holes for pole bracket-drilled a hole for RF 100 cable-installed new aerial and cable-took me all of 45minutes
Cost-very cheap. Quite an easy operation on a bungalow

I now have excellent pictures and sound via Freeview.
I retained the Sky connection-I can now get all the Sky channels and with the remote eye have a superb selection.
Cost-very little.
Because of the quality of the aerial (now gone back to £40)
I get superb quality pictures-my neighbour over the road who obviously fitted the wrong aerial was amazed at the quality and the quantity of choice I have-he tried to watch a football match on ITV 4 last week-quality of picture very poor (result even worse)

NJ:clap: :clap: :clap:

mhuk05

@ninegt- 90cm clear dish,Dreambox, motor. Get more channels than you can shake a stick at. Includes BBC, ITV (not ch4 or 5 as I don't have a $ky card and they're encrytped in NDS). PM me if you want more info.

:)

Starburst

Distinguished Member
suffolktoon said:
According to the blurb "The majority of UK homes are now able to receive FREEVIEW".

I can't in Ipswich, our friends in Edenbridge, Kent can't, the outlaws in Burgess Hill can't, the ex outlaws in Hastings can't, my brother in law can't.

73%-74% (as reported by OFCOM) is a majority alas some major population centers for technical reasons do not currently have a DTT service.
That's no comfort but at least as you say there is Dsat and some areas also have cable.

ROYOLD

The losers in the Freeview stakes are those who rely on relay stations for their TV reception. Many of the relays use vertical polarization and many have not been freeview enabled. My location is borderline on the main Winter Hill Transmitters but people even less than 500 metres away have to rely on a local relay station with no freeview despite the BBC telling me over a year ago that this relay transmitter would shortly have freeview transmissions.

MartinImber

Try a DAT75 aerial

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
DAT45 is a group W (wideband) aerial I believe. Was this recommended/supplied by a CAI installer or did you choose/install it yourself?

I only ask because the required aerial for Emley Moor is Group B. Whilst a wideband aerial is never "wrong" it may be that reception, (or more importantly, rejection) may be better with a narrow group B aerial, and positioning might not be so critical, either.

Or, it may be that your promised Freeview coverage is offered by another transmitter - Belmont perhaps? (Belmont does require a Group W aerial).

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
They are transmitted, but the DTG checker is suggesting reception won't be good enough. And it may be right....or not; it is just an estimate.

A lot of years ago, I was lodging in Thorne. We're talking analogue reception here, but, using an 18 element aerial INSIDE the upstairs room, I found that, from the obvious Belmont transmitter I got patchy reception disturbed by every passing vehicle. Whereas, from the much less obvious Bilsdale, I got clean pictures and sound from all four (as it was) channels.

Not directly relevant, but just to indicate that the propagation of radio waves is at best somewhat unpredictable. I can only suggest you presevere with trying every option open to you.

MartinImber

DAT45 thats good anyway, how far and in what direction are you from Emley

if EM is SSW of you - you may be suffering from Sutton Coldfield

MartinImber

What happens very occasionally is that Emley Moor analogue knocks out Sutton digital and Vise Versa I live SSW of Sutton so I am in the equivalent position to you.

To try this out try tuning an analogue tuner to the Sutton analogues

40 is one - this is ITV mux at Emley and BBC2 analogue at Sutton

If you get a snowy BBC there is your problem, if you get snow - problem else where.

In January for one day I had BBC from Emley swamping ITV mux

stealther

Wonder why anyone bothers with Freeview?

Recently I have started to think the same thing.

Even when you have a strong signal its nothing but trouble
3 different freeview boxes none of them worked consistently enough. screen freeze, sound loss. Needed unplugging and resetting regularly. Fundamental flaws in EPG’s! The list just goes on

It’s a load of old rubbish. Wish I had stayed with sky now and that’s saying something

unique

i think freeview is great. in my area if i use a normal ariel the picture is crap and full of ghosting, and channel 5 looks like everything is set at christmas time

i already had a freeview box, and when i moved to my new flat i spent £125 on a new ariel isntalled (the previous owner had cable and no outside ariel) to the bedroom and livingroom (where i got another freeview box for £30 from cash converters), and plugged in setup and the picture is great. as well as the 5 normal channels i get E4, more4, 2 music channels and another 30-40 odd channels of crap i never watch. i don't need to pay anymore money to watch telly, no sky or cable subscription, even tho i can get basic cable for £5 a month as i have the internet from them. for a lot of people its cheap, it works and excellent value and gives a better picture than normal ariel

satinder

ashmufc said:
Because some people get good reception, and it sometimes beats Sky's picture, also you can get a cheap PVR :)

I live in Telford (Shropshire) and i get a superb quality freeview signal from the Wrekin transmitter. I used to have Sky but the picture quality of freeview (in my area at least) exceeds Sky's without a doubt. Also with the money i save from not having a Sky subscription i can buy/rent more DVD's :thumbsup: :smashin: :thumbsup: .

Sat

rooster-x

My PVR doesn't cost me £10 a month. says it all really :D

MartinImber

Worse - this sounds weird.

Might be worth getting an installer round.

What is the view like from the aerial?

One more thought, could it be overpowering the FV tuner? (not usually a Sony problem)

Sony are usually pretty good

I want you to try the following on whatever TX you are on.

1) Can you make sure the DTTV tuner is first in the daisy chain?

2) Can you check that it is tuned correctly - check the mux channels against the TX

40 43 46 I think are three of them for Emley

The Sony IDTV1 tuners tended to pick up the first correct MUX they found, not the strongest, not sure about IDTV2

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'd have tried Belmont before Bilsdale. My Bilsdale comment earlier was simply to illustrate that radio wave propagation isn't as predictable as one might think.

Martin makes a good point, though. It may be that your box has latched on to a weaker signal as it's done its search.

In any case, I trust that you did re-scan after realigning your aerial?

MartinImber

Yes there operational oddities about a lot of baxes the first mux problem occurs with quite a few boxes - really confused my Uncle as it (THompson I think) kept getting Caradon instead of Redruth and vise versa.

I was getting good reception in the caravan in their garden with a Pace Twin.

Yes I am a saddo who takes a PVR and DVD player on holiday, still trying to work out how to do DD 5.1

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022