Wonder if Sony start doing record DVD players with HD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rookies, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    As Title

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Do you always share all your thoughts with the forum??!! ;) :p

Interesting thought though, and I would have thought a definite possibility if Sony et al want to keep up, but how much success do you think they would actually have though?

I've always been a bit sceptical of these "hybrid recorders" - do people actually use the HD when they have the facility to record onto a "hard medium" which they can then take anywhere? I really don't think I would, which would beg the question, of why not just buy a dedicated DVD recorder only?

Kelvin. :D

3. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    You have a good point there :clown:

Can we do EPG recording with these DVD recorders?

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Having bought the panasonic HS2 the biggest mistake I made was buying some -ram discs, to store programs on temorarily.

Once you have a hard drive recorder like this there are only 2 sorts of programs that you record.
    1) The program you wanted to see but were doing or watching something else at the time. These you delete immediately after viewing. I have yet to run out of space on the hard drive as it keeps 18 hours of recordings at good quality.
    2) A program you wish to keep indefinately. This you again record to the hard drive, edit it to remove ads, over-run before and after etc. Then burn straight to a dvd-r.

So really the awnser to your "why" above is who on earth, given the choice, would want a dvd recorder without the hard drive. Without it you have only very basic editing available to you, or have to resort to using more expensive rewritable material for permanent storage. and just to replicate the hard drive capacity you need 9 rewritable discs, which if you pay the recommended price would set you back £90.

And how often does the program(s) you want to record exceed 2 hours? which is the best compromise between quality and duration on a blank dvd. With the hard drive you can record several programs without swapping media, or even having to be at home. And you can record that 3 hour film you always wanted onto 2 dvd-r, preserving the quality by splitting the recording in the middle.

I have had my machine since early december and have, to date, produced only about 15 permanent dvd-r. I have in the meantime used the machine to record and play back at least 200 hours of programs where i could not watch at broadcast time. It has probably been used at least the same again in time shift mode, ie sky program starts at 8, I want to watch sky for 2 hours, start recording at 8, start playback at 8:30, watch 90 mins of programme and zero ads. All this and no media costs except for the programs I want to keep, and I still have 2 -ram discs in unopened packets, with the third just used once to collect 2 episodes of a mini series off the hard drive, unti I had the 3rd episode successfully, when I could edit them via the hard drive and permanently record to 2 dvd-r

5. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answer to the question 'who would want an HD?' - anyone not wanting a dvd recorder just to pirate/share stuff? :)

I dont have a vcr or dvd recorder, and i cant get sky+ coz i share a dish and only have one connection to my flat. I am considering one of these HD/DVD recorders mainly for the HD. Years ago when there was stuff on TV worth recording i only ever recorded stuff to watch later, never to keep.

I agree with the dvd-ram point.. why bother with this middle ground when you have HD and dvd-r

6. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    I was only asking abot there that all.

I prolly more certain be going for Sky + when the time is right as I for one dont really save things I just watch it then that it. Films I buy anyway.

So really Sky + is the answer for me to be honest. I was just wondering why sony going to catch up

7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Seems I've stirred up a bit of a Hornet's nest... :blush: ;) Hehe!

First of all, I haven't used any of the current "hybrid recorders" so I freely admit that I don't know the ins and outs of the features available. However, my initial reaction was based on logic to an extent, so I'll try to explain my thinking... ;)

I wasn't aware of the editing side of things with recorders like the HS2, but it sounds like an interesting point. It would indeed be useful to edit out adverts/other rubbish prior to archiving things which you want to keep and to this end, I can understand why some people would purchase them over standalone Recorders/HD's. :)

However, my belief, is that most people who are buying into Recordable DVD/Tivo/Sky+ etc. are doing so as a result of the increase in quality over VCR's rather that the additional editing features which are available on some recorders. Whilst enthusiasts like you, or me, or many other people on these forums may make use of the benefits of the HS2, the reality is that many people won't. Most people simply want a recording format that they can use to archive programmes/tape things when they're out. Because of this, I feel that "hybrid machines" are still a bit of a "niche market product" :) Just an alternate opinion.... :)

Just to clarify, my question was actually "who would buy a combined DVD/HD Recorder", not "who would ever want a HD Recorder" I'm a big fan of HD Recorders in general and consider them to be the future of recording in many respects :) ;)

Regards...

Kelvin :D

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    But this is the best type of DVD Recorder to get! Recordable DVD is just too limited in capacity to provide an effective, all round replacement for VHS but, when coupled with a HDD, offers a large capacity WITH the ability to burn to disk and share with your friends (without any loss in quality).

Given the success Panasonic have enjoyed with the HS2 I don't think there is any doubt that combos such as this are the way forward.

I'm surprised. I use RAM disks quite alot with my HS2. Great for archiving programmes I want to watch several times but not keep. They have virtually made my SVCR redundant!

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    But as Dvd-r media is so cheap, if you want to watch it more than once, why not use it. If you resort to a -ram dvd it is no longer available for temporary storage if the hard drive is getting full of stuff you only want to watch once. and they are 10 time the price.

Personally if I think I may want to watch something again I would rather make a permanent recording and store it away for replay whenever ,rather than having to make a decision on whether or not to wipe a program on -ram. I do concede the point though that with the hs2 you can always copy to -r from the -ram at a later point.

The point that keeps being missed though is that this is a viable alternative to things like tivo, or sky plus combined with a dvd recorder, but without the monthly fee. Over a few years a hs2 is cheaper by far than a new sky+ and an E30 say, whilst only a little more complicated to set up the recordings

10. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sony only have one machine currently on sale (in Japan) that records video to hard disk, but it has no DVD drive. here's the info anyway

[​IMG]

SVR-515

- The hard disk of the 40GB whose longest 26 hours * video recording is possible built-in

* In case of LP mode. With the video recording of 1 time to with 12 hours you become

- EPG (electronic program chart) video recording correspondence. Setting keyword and condition, compilation in the program chart which you like and automatic operation video recording of program are possible

- Another program is played back simultaneously with the video recording of television program " video recording simultaneous playback "

- You saw to be, program and the scene are found from the sum nail, " visual search "

Size: Width 430× height 67× depth 296mm

Mass: Approximately 5.0kg

Electric power consumption: 38w

11. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  12. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    This remains to be seen. Sony seems committed to producing machines that can play BOTH +RW and -RW. Yet as only -RW can be used in a non-linear mode then it this file format that would have to be used for the HDD side of the machine which would also mean that suitable conversion software would have to be written to convert HDD recordings (in -RW mode) to +RW. Philips are yet to produce this. The problem would remain if Sony used it's native HDD software and conversion software from that into +RW.

This is why Toshiba, Panasonic, JVC,Pioneer and Hitachi have all announced DVD/HDD combos but Philips/Sony haven't. Still, time will tell.