Women's Football World Cup

Discussion in 'Football' started by Greg Hook, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +12,055
    Not really surprised there isn't a thread on here for this yet, but after England's win last night, I felt like it was worthy of a bit of discussion.

We have an England team in the semi finals of a World Cup. Something the men haven't done since 1990 and probably won't do for many years!

2. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,805
    they may have a chance if they ditch that awful goalkeeper, how you can spill a tame cross like that is beyond me.

3. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,860
    Well done Greg, I was just about to start a Thread on this very subject bemoaning the fact that this was invisible on a so-called Sports Forum!

They have done fantastically well to get this far. Most of our women earn less in a year than some of our Premiership "heroes" earn in a week, but who serially underachieves?

I've enjoyed the tournament so far. It's refreshing to see players tackle each other firmly, but not end up with someone rolling around in "agony" only to get up 10 seconds later and sprint away. Also, it's good to see respect and acceptance of authority, no matter how dubious the decision. No surrounding the referee and hurling abuse here. And, so far, there's only been one example of someone flinging themself to the ground in the penalty area dramatically and unnecessarily, mostly the players just stay on their feet.

These are all areas which the men's game can learn from and would improve immeasurably if changes were implemented.

Japan look formidable and their movement and work rate is absolutely phenomenal. Germany are tough and resilient and the USA are very well organised and aggressive. England would do extremely well to overcome any of those teams.

Good luck girls!

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +12,055
    They will do very well to get to the final. That goalkeeper as Jason said wants getting rid of.

5. clydebest

clydebest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,607
    If you mean the Canada game , she was a replacement , the first choice is due to return for the Japan match. I hope they go on and win it , as no doubt all of the British Isles is with me in that :thumbsup:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. Dingo

Dingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yeah, but, yeah.......how hot are they, anyone have immoral photo's, have any of them slept with Grandad's, any of them missed penalties we can take the piss out of under the guise of "really" being supportive??!!......NO, fudge it, so that's why the press in this Country can't be arsed to report a Positive result.........in a positive manner, too feckin busy looking for the next moneymaking opportunity as opposed to reporting the NEWS........SCUMBAGS!!

7. RedDevil85

RedDevil85
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,125
    I thought Jason/Greg were talking about Karen Bardsley who fumbled for Canada to score their goal before half time and then went off with a swollen eye from an allergic reaction early in the second half? The replacement was Siobhan Chamberlain and at the moment it's her that may face Japan, she did well when she came on i thought.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. clydebest

clydebest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,607
    It is not unknown for me to get it wrong , you are almost certainly right , and I have mis-informed people again sorry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  9. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,860
    It's a shame about the time difference and matches being on at midnight in this country, isn't it?

Perhaps they'd get more media attention if they were earlier? Or maybe not. Apart from Tennis and Athletics, women and sport don't exist it seems....:(

10. faiz0

faiz0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,670
    There's plenty of media coverage. The general public don't give a monkeys though.

11. Cobb

Cobb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,008
    I work night shifts so I've been watching a fair bit of this tournament, there's been plenty of good football too. It's a shame that there isn't a bigger deal being made about it, this is England in a world cup semi final after all. I hope we stuff ze Germans in the final.

12. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,350
    Blatter confirmed as not going to the final, but he is guilty of no wrong doing, honest ..

13. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,860
    And why is that do you think?

14. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,249
    Well for a start they wear clothes.

:D seriously though, there's some things that are just jarring when it's women doing them, not sure why.

15. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,652
    Would be great to see them get to the final...good luck to them !
    I've watched some of the tournament, the quality's not always been great but the enthusiasm and commitment on show cannot be questioned.

If it was the Ireland ladies it would be all over the news and an official day off granted tomorrow to watch the match and go on the lash, but that's because we don't win much and we don't need much of an excuse for a party !

16. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,860
    It may be due to unconscious gender bias.

I know that sounds tedious and worthy, but it's actually very enlightening when you examine content and representations of men and women in various situations and contexts.

Apparently, a great many fathers don't want their daughters to play football, which indicates how powerful an influence it can be.

17. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,249
    It's probably part gender bias and part 'not fitting'

Women tennis players don't hit the ball as hard, I can see that, it makes the game instantly look slower and more boring. Men gymnasts doing the strength stuff look great, doing the noncy dancing parts, not so much. Likewise men's ballet, there's a lack of grace with men that the women have by standard.

You could put it down to gender bias but I think it's beyond that, some things just don't suit some body types and are either coming across as boring or just look wrong.

18. garts76

garts76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    Also the sportsmanship puts the men to shame, no diving or moaning. They just get on with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,652
    Poor pen to give away there, but thought it was just outside the box. England playing too much hoof ball, the lass upfront is getting no service.

20. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26,374
    England lucky pen, scored well 1-1

21. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,652
    Despite the softness of the England pen it was great that none of the Japanese players hounded the ref!!

22. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26,374
    Seeing the England pen replay, did not see the tread on the heel so ref called it right and it was not a lucky pen as it seemed

23. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26,374
    Jeez England OG on 90min by Laura Bassett, how unlucky, minutes to go to extra time - and just lost 2-1 result

24. jdevil

jdevil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Unfortunate way to go, really thought it'll go to penalties with a goalless extra time.

Anyway, they done a good job even getting to the semi finals.

25. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,860
    Oh, that was so heartbreaking.:(

But hopefully it will lead to more exposure, coverage and promotion of the women's game in this country, it's the least they deserve.

They shouldn't have to hold down full time jobs and still play, they should be paid enough to become full time professionals. The talent and commitment is clearly there, what they need now is a structure that rewards their efforts accordingly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  26. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    .. and the ladies fiddle and fix their hair less than the men too. Says it all really.

27. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,805
    im sure half of those japanese players were not women, especially the one that took their penalty.

:D

28. ajdj1

ajdj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    It's definitely a good thing that more people have tuned in to watch the women's team play but the comparisons to the men's team, whilst inevitable are a bit annoying. I don't know if its this constant push for gender equality driving these comments or the FA (in their wisdom!) thinking they can attract your average Premier League fan to WSL games.

I play Womens football and have no qualms about describing it as 'same ball, different game'. This is mostly due to the fact that girls start playing much later than boys do and often play for fun as opposed to being students of the game.

I've just signed to a new women's team under the banner of a men's semi-pro team. The objective is to reach WSL within 7 seasons, having to start at the bottom of the pyramid as a brand new team. At 31, I'm classed a senior player. The majority of the team are 17 and 18 year olds, who despite playing for 4-5 years don't actually watch much football or appear that interested in the tactics of the game. You see it in training when they try and crowd the ball and don't automatically seek out space.

You can see a clear difference in the players who have football intelligence, can read the game and anticipate where they need to be to advance play. I think it's great that the FA have agreed to mixed leagues up to U18's from next season, Germany and the Scandinavian nations have been doing this for years. Hopefully this will address the weaker issues of the women's game such as heading and goalkeeping. (It's interesting about the comments on Karen Bardsley, because whilst she has made errors she's actually one of the better keepers in the tournament showing that even at international level there is room for improvement. Imagine how bad the goal keepers are in your average women's county league!).

Funding is much better than it was a few years ago but whilst the England team have central contracts and the players in WSL1 are mostly full time professionals, there is a massive gulf when you get to WSL2. It's like having the men's Premier League and the next tier is League 2! For teams like mine, funding is non existent, we pay to play and are really struggling to source £400 sponsorship to get some training kit!

The biggest challenges for the women's game haven't really changed-

1. Retain teenagers. Many (like I did) stop playing at 14 and may or may not return at some point later on. I didn't start playing again until 23 and always regret giving it up. Admittedly at the time the only pro league was in Italy and professional football was a pipe dream for me. Now, there are some genuine role models for the next generation hopefully this will change.

2. Increase attendances at games. Small crowds = no sponsorship and that hinders development. Not sure the FA are targeting the right audience, women's football has very much a family atmosphere. You are never going to get a regular attender of Premier League games to watch women's football, the gulf in quality is too much. An initiative similar to non-league day would be a start but it needs real incentives for families to attend regularly. I don't think many people realise you can get a family season ticket (2 adults, 2 children) for around £60 for the women's WSL.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  29. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,860
    I can see what you're saying, but I also think that if you love a sport then you'll just appreciate the differences, not see it as better or worse, boring or interesting.

I think we can both agree that the men's game could definitely improve regarding diving, play acting and respect for authority? Off the field, more equitable funding would make a difference too. There's more to footie than just the Premier League!

30. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,249
    Of course, if you look in the prem chat threads you'll see I'm disgusted by the money hoarding of the epl clubs and the neglect of the grassroots, money is ruining the game

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List