Women & Science fiction.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by UkDraken, Feb 12, 2014.

1. UkDraken

UkDraken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If 'Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus', why don't more women like films about space travel, Hmm?

2. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,168
    My wife just switches off as soon as a spaceship appears.

3. UkDraken

UkDraken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I know what you mean. My advice? Persuade her to watch 'Bladerunner' with you;
    This film has so much emotion in it that it's the one I always use to introduce any prospective girlfriends to Sci-Fi.
    Rutger Hauer's eloquent speech, alone:
    "I've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched sea-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.... All those... moments... will be lost in time, like tears in rain"........[/spoiler]
    I was a battle-tested soldier when I first watched this film and I'm not ashamed to admit it made me weep.
    I defy anyone to remain unmoved by this visually stunning and beautifully crafted movie.
    It rarely fails, my friend.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,087
    because there are more films going to Mars than Venus.
    The saying is in all likelihood Men are from Mars the war god and we have that side in us, where as Venus was the goddess of love and beauty hence there more likely to watch films like Bridget Jones which men tend not to.
    Also probably still in us from caveman days when women stopped at home caring for the family whilst men went out killing.

5. UkDraken

UkDraken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    That was the point I was making;
    See, in order to get that cosy cave and those cute kids, she needs to find a good, protective Martian.
    Men don't always have to drag 'em off by the hair; Women do their fair share of seduction. Believe me.
    But my analogy was meant to be humorous rather than literal. ;)

6. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,168
    My wife hated Blade Runner :(

7. UkDraken

UkDraken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hmm.... In that case, she may enjoy the humor of; 'The Fifth Element'. Try that one, instead. Plenty of action and funny moments combined, and Milla Jovovich, Bruce Willis and Gary Oldman together in any movie has to be worth watching.

8. Lost Highway

Lost Highway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I know women who like science fiction films, but on the whole women gravitate more towards character driven story telling, while men seem to prefer plot driven stories. It's a generalisation of course, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with how men and women are wired up emotionally and hormonally, to do with empathy etc.

9. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,261
    Get her to watch Firefly - woman friendly Sci-Fi :smashin:

10. UkDraken

UkDraken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think you're right. Women aren't simply 'Men with attractive add-ons'. Our brains and emotions are differently connected and react in totally different ways to given stimuli.
    But I truly am interested in discovering why the Science-Fiction genre in particular is such a turn-off for so many girls that they refuse to even sample a film or tv show based on it.
    But paradoxically, I know many girls in the U.S. that practically worship Anime; Much of which can be labelled as Sci-Fi: Set in the future or featuring characters who travel in spacecraft and have super-human powers, etc.
    I'm a big fan of elegantly-created science-fiction but I loathe Anime.
    All very puzzling.....

11. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,261
    As mentioned by the others, to generalise I think they prefer more emotion, especially character driven emotion in a movie or genre and with that a more realistic, natural story or situation which is why they prefer your typical rom-com or love story. They prefer something they can easily relate too and understand.

Men on the other hand are much more into escapism and you don;t get more escapist than Sci-Fi. We generally prefer a more interesting, even complex story but I think we almost prefer something that is not our usual day to day lives.

Though, there exceptions - my wife loves rom-coms but is a massive fan of Comic Book movies, action and sci-fi.

12. Lost Highway

Lost Highway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    While there are exceptions, science fiction tends to be more concerned with world building, special effects and at times relatively abstract concepts, but it is less invested in character development and relationships. Protagonists are also more traditionally male. Many of the greatest science fiction writers like Arthur C. Clarke have been criticised for not being very good at characters. So women will gravitate more towards dramas and romantic comedies which deal with interpersonal relationships and emotions which science fiction and other traditionally male genres like war and action films generally don't accommodate.

As to anime, I don't personally know any women who like it and I'm not a fan myself, but there are niche fan-bases for anything. There is a small core of dedicated female science fiction fans as well, especially when it comes to shows like Star Trek, which has always been concerned with diversity and has featured strong female characters over the years. But they are the exception rather than the rule.

My sister seems to be an exception. She loathes romantic comedies and while she doesn't like science fiction, she loves gangster films and male centric films about tough guys. She loves shows like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad and films like The Godfather or Carlito's Way and would never watch anything starring Julia Roberts.

edit: That said, shows like The Sopranos and films like The Godfather are very character driven, though they concern themselves mostly with male characters.

13. captainarchive

captainarchive
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,078
    I find the idea of a woman liking scinece fiction very unappealing. It's the same as a woman liking airfix models or tinkering about in a shed. It's just not right.

14. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    "Women, know your place!" :D

15. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,258
    My wife's quite a big fan of the likes of Dr Who, Star Wars and just sci fi in general. She also hated the first Bridgit Jones film as much as I did. Also I was at one the Dr Who 50th anniversary days and I'd say we males were outnumbered by the females.

Bri

16. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    The more women involved the better & tbh they always have been.

Despite the popular image of science fiction being for boys, women have always made major contributions to the genre. The Blazing World (1666) by Margaret Cavendish and Frankenstein (1818) by Mary Shelley are widely recognised as key founding texts of the field.

Top Women Science Fiction Writers | For Books' Sake

17. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,168
    She hated The Fifth Element. She tolerated Firefly.
    She loves Breaking Bad and Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes. Probably because no flying gizmos in them. Hold on, she liked Cypher.

18. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Were would Gene have been without Majel or even D. C. Fontana (pen name Michael Richards/J. Michael Bingham) :facepalm: or Jerry without Sylvia :facepalm: :rotfl:

19. UkDraken

UkDraken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Bloody Hell, mate. I'm about as Y-chromosome as they come, but I've found the few women who share my interest in Sci-Fi fascinating, intelligent and wonderfully playful companions. (In all sorts of ways!) ;)

20. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,867
    This whole thread is a bit redundant really...watching films? Why isn't she in the kitchen making your tea? :p:D

21. UkDraken

UkDraken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There's a movie called 'Enemy Mine'. Completely character-driven. A human and an Alien marooned together on a planet. It's essentially a lesson in a slow understanding of another culture. When I was still in uniform, I used to screen it to my platoon to get them to use their judgement before their trigger-fingers.

22. UkDraken

UkDraken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You're right, of course. Although Mary Shelley was.... very different to the average woman, especially women of that era. The company she kept, the views she held, and her fascination with the...louche? An amazing creature. What wouldn't I give to spend a day in her company and that of her circle. :love:

23. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    An interesting choice especially considering the Dracs reproduce asexually, always loved that movie myself.

I know its not film but check out this lovely ladys work E. J. Swift | writer of science fiction and the fantastical

24. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    This thread has struck me with a feeling that almost all posters are assuming no women are actually reading this thread. In all honesty, that thought crosses my mind with the whole film section forum. I am sure there are many females reading this film section forum but have come to the wary conclusion that its a very male centric dominated forum so never bother to post...I wonder what most of them think of us.

Just an observation and thought about our female friends...and an obvious tact to get in their good books, all two of them :)

As for women watching sci fi debate, I know many women who loves sci fi. In fact I am a co-host and moderator with a female sci fi enthusiast for an international Goodreads book reading group called Time Travel. We have 2000 members in that group evenly mixed. There are many female indy sci fi authors whom we interview and feature. Male and females discuss time travel and sci fi in fun and respectful ways with each other. You would not find comments such as "oh I can do her" etc. Its a fun intelligent evenly mixed environment.

So I have no actual answer to the OPs post I just give you all my experience with females and sci fi and you make of that what you will. Every individual only have their own perspective to derive a conclusion. However, I like what Lost Highway said in a post somewhere above. Something about women gravitating towards character drive where as men are more towards story driven...well I would say more technical and...a little sexuality. But as he says, its a generalisation and I would say women also like their films to have some sexuality in them too. Again, all generalising.

In terms of women depicted in Sci fi. It is very clear to see the growth of political correctness when comparing 50s B movies to todays sci films. I watched a time travel 50s B movie just last night, called Yesterdays Machine. A woman screams in fear. Our hero slaps her, she quietens and then sobs and hugs him to cry on his shoulder. Sounds familiar? Yeah, sexist scenes like that are across the board with 50s sci fi. I wont mention scantility clad women in sci fi becuase to be fair there are also scantily clad men in scifi/fantasy to tantalise the ladies too so that balances out. But today, we now have Sandra Bullock up for an Oscar nomination for one of this year's top sci fi movies without stripping...oh wait...er...well, times have evolved, PC-wise, nevertheless, that's the point I making!

That's my input fellas, oh sorry I mean...guys and gals ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  25. UkDraken

UkDraken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14

26. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,544
    If women could be persuaded to watch sci-fi they'd find that some of the most powerful female role models reside in this genre. Uhura, Princess Leia, Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Ellie Arroway, Trinity; to name a few. And they're characters that are intelligent, resourceful and self-reliant as opposed to just vapid arse-kicking femme fatales.

27. UkDraken

UkDraken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Beautifully made point. I, myself am not a huge fan of PC. I was brought up to behave as a Gentleman, and was further trained in that regard when I enlisted in the Grenadier Guards.
    I truly hate the fact that such an obvious way of thinking should have to be legislated.
    Women are not the same as men; I consider them to be almost another species; But one that is equal in every way that counts.
    Men and women compliment each other in their different abilities. They complete each other. And I consider women so valuable as to be protected by any man in any situation.
    But perhaps I was born around a hundred and twenty-five years too late. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  28. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,261
    Never understood this thinking of women being another species, must meet some really strange women ;)

29. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Well, you're pretty honest...brave too, perhaps? ;) (Edit: Apologies, I misread your post, I thought you were showing slight chauvenism but you're not and I agree with your post :) )

I think we males are all somewhat arrogantly presumptuous to even generalise what women may or may not like. We go by our own perceptions which in turn is influenced by our social upbringing, which in turn was formed by a history of male dominance of rule and social stigma which in turn had all derived from, in my opinion, by the fact that males are physicaly stronger than females...generally.

And it is that physicality from the beginnings of homosapiens that gave males control over women, not just physically but mentally too because females were more or less helpless and bullied to serve in sex and bearing children. So given that physical prowess, social traditions evolved in male dominance to this very day influencing the likes and dislikes between the two sexes. But there were pockets of ancient civilisations where woman did actually dominate which proves that they had the mental prowess to break away from that male dominance and even turn the tables round.

So what woman like or dislike in general is a forced social stigma bred into their genes from the bullying of males in the very distant past. But the mind of a female should not have been different to the mind of a male except in naturally sexually related and even stimulated ways. Why should they be any different to enjoying and contributing to sci fi then males? None. I speculate that if women were as physically strong as men in nature, we would have as many women liking sci fi as men.

Men and women are different in mind and body, sure but it should have only been on a sexually stimulus level and physical work load...unfortunately it extended to mental imbalance from the male's dominance and supression over women over millions of years. The fact is, they are mentally different to us only because we bullied them into that mental zone in the very distant past.

But of course, equality is on the rise and may reach an equilibrium in the near future without sacrificing the male-female mental and physcal attractions...although I do hope tables do not turn around in some kind of vengeance vendetta! Now there's a sci fi story to be told...in fact has been told :)

30. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,087
    ouch mate please don't keep posting in bold unless emphasising a point in part of a post, it like typing in capitals and classed as shouting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List