1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women - gotta love'em (apparantly)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by richard plumb, Sep 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    Thats torn it!

Got the missus to give me an almost blank cheque for a new TV - quote "£1200, that cheap" (bear in mind our previous set cost us £2k)

So I made a little montage of my shortlist to see which she liked the look of.

Well it turns out that she hates all of them except - the Sony 'V'. The one that I don't see any reason spending extra on over the 'S'. Of course the 'S' is "crap" - doesn't like anything with an obvious speaker underneath.

The samsung (my current fave) got an amusing response - "whats that big button?" When I mentioned it was the power button, she said " but you spent all that time hiding the cables and everything, why have such a noticable button you hardly ever use?" Fair enough I suppose.

2. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    Weird, my wife prefers the look of the Samsung to most of the others, although she does like the Sony S and V as well. She tends not to like the ones with side speakers as they look too wide.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    she (the cat's mother) wants 'frameless' - except you need somewhere for the speakers.

Although the Sony V is pretty much the same as the S, the black design hides the speaker panel so its not so noticeable.

Need to price search now. I'm going to sulk if the Sony 32V is close in price to a Samsung or Toshiba 37/40

4. Chu321

Chu321
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My wife rejected everything apart from the Sony V, Panasonic 500 or JVC DS6. She absolutely hated the Hitachi and the Samsung. To this day I don't really know why.

I have a Sony 32" V.

5. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I take it now would not be a good time for me to say that my wife says that as it is my 'hobby' and my money, I can choose what I want (barring it being genuinely ugly).

Funny thing is, I think I'm the fussy one. Hitachi 7200 is my favourite re the bases it covers, but to me its such a dull looking TV - just a panel. Have to say I think the Phillips with its glass edging and Sony V look quite stylish. Panny is fine (not quite as good as the first two), JVC cant stop seeing the silver band on the inside of the TV frame

Given that these TV's are, intentionally or not, a focal point in anyones lounge (especially the 42" + ones) you think looks would be high on the designers lists.

The wife does seem to appreciate that as the TVs are actually equipment there may have to be a compromise between style and useability / quality, though shame there has to be.