Women and tech, they just dont get it.

Thug

Reaction score
Well, ok, not all women, but the ones I know just don't understand why we are the way we are with our tech.

For instance, I have just bought the box set of Game of Thrones as I had never seen it before, so me and Mrs Thug decided to give it a go.
We have so far watched the first 5 episodes of series one in my cinema room and have to admit its fantastic watching the blu ray upscaled to 4k and displayed on my 92" screen and listening it in glorious Atmos with a thumping bass.

Then tonight she says to me 'do you fancy watching Game of Thrones..... in BED'.

WHAT??, you want to watch it on a 32" LCD with crappy built in speakers, instead of in the cinema room????

I would rather not watch it at all, then watch it in bed.

What way has your OH shown that they don't really 'get' tech and the need to watch something at it absolute best?

I pretty much stopped watching movies with my wife. She loves to watch movies on her laptop in bed. 17" screen! Erm, no thanks.

There were a lot of sex scenes in episode 5...

New thread by Mrs Thug:
Men and 'cuddling', they just dont get it.
:p

The thing is, EVERY time we watch something in bed she always falls asleep, so misses most of it.

You do have a point though, in the cinema room we have 2 lovely comfortable chairs and she keeps saying 'I wish we had a 2 seater so we can cuddle up to watch something'. The thing is I like to sit watch and listed to things and not have a dead arm through cuddling or a mouth full of hair when she rests her head on my shoulder. Perhaps I am a miserable old sod after all.

If tech involves spending money , yup they do get that part of it . More so than us poor saps like me understanding another new bag or shoes . Hey though makes life fun.

They don't understand as their brains are wired differently and can only handle simple stuff like washing, cleaning, hoovering, sewing, etc.

They don't understand as their brains are wired differently and can only handle simple stuff like washing, cleaning, hoovering, sewing, etc.

Men are more hands-on and focused, women are more cerebral and socially conscious.

Together they make a f***ing good team.

...If only they could put aside their differences.

;) :)

Men are more hands-on and focused, women are more cerebral and socially conscious.

Together they make a f***ing good team.

...If only they could put aside their differences.

;) :)

are you sure you meant to use the word cerebral Alan ..... ?

as that means more about thinking something through rather than relying on 'feelings' ;)

Add drinking bottles of wine or gin to that list.
Although in all seriousness, my wife is a whizz with power-point her presentations are brilliant, she's just landed her first upper management post, with two more progression levels above to achieve to reach overall control of her hospital along with a high salary to match. Having 3 daughters I don't expect any of them to aspire to be a servant for a man.

There were a lot of sex scenes in episode 5...

New thread by Mrs Thug:
Men and 'cuddling', they just dont get it.
:p

That's it, says more about the OP than his missus...

are you sure you meant to use the word cerebral Alan ..... ?

as that means more about thinking something through rather than relying on 'feelings' ;)

Good point. However we are not robots and therefore thinking things through without 'feelings' is maybe a little beyond our human capabilities, especially when dealing with politics, religion and any bar-steward who questions any of our cherished opinions.

...But, yeah, you're right! :)

I don't understand the constant confusion with tech... she can't tell the difference between full surround or analogue, she'll watch the SD version of channels because "it's all the same". She's never ever grasped the harmony remote, she'll still look for the TV control for volume and fail to be understand why it's not working. I've explained these things in great detail almost monthly, never sinks in though [emoji30]

I must be lucky(ish) then, the missus thought the harmony remote was fantastic and a great solution to the "hundreds of remotes for all your crap".

My wife called me asking how to get the old PS2 working on the main TV (yeah we still have one)
It does go through my amp but because it's on composite video, its a bit of a faf and not very obvious, also the TV has to be changed on the input side.
It was not something that could wait until I got home (as normal), this all caused quite an argument as she couldn't see why it was so complicated. I have since removed it from the amp and fed directly to the tv so a simple input change now works.

Pffft, the GF still has an original XBox!!

Last powered on a few months ago, to see if it still worked. Prior to that, it must have sat there unused for about 10 years.

Thing is ready for a museum.

With my Harmony Touch remote...

If it's on BBC1, and she wants BBC2, she won't simply engage the channel up switch but gazes at the Harmony's screen looking for BBC2. Hint: it's the second channel/logo on the remote.

Her favourite programmes are on 5USA. Without fail, she will always ask what channel 5USA is on, while gazing at the Harmon's screen - and not seeing the clearly defined 5USA logo.

She then gets uptight when I refuse to help. If she doesn't 'learn' to use the 'learning remote'...

If it's on BBC1, and she wants BBC2, she won't simply engage the channel up switch but gazes at the Harmony's screen looking for BBC2. Hint: it's the second channel/logo on the remote.

Her favourite programmes are on 5USA. Without fail, she will always ask what channel 5USA is on, while gazing at the Harmon's screen - and not seeing the clearly defined 5USA logo.

She then gets uptight when I refuse to help. If she doesn't 'learn' to use the 'learning remote'...
At least the inanimate object can learn..[emoji23]

My missus does appreciates my tech but only if it is set to make life simpler. Which is one of my requisites for tech too so that's not a bad thing.
She used to think it all ran on black magic, but now I think she accepts it is run on pixie dust (or ground up unicorn horns) but as long as it's simple and it works, she likes it.
That said, I'm not convinced she could tell the difference between SD and HD, Netflix and Blu-ray etc etc

I don't do anything with my other half. Well apart from that :D
Women really do annoy me though. If it wasn't for that I can't really see the need for them.
Tbh they probably feel the same about us, well they do about me that's for sure.

Don't get mine either.....

Harmony remote - likes in principle but really doesnt get how to use it so turns everything off to switch between sources rather than swipes to get back to the activities screen

TV/ Projector - arguably massive into picture quality and big screen. On both she insisted we upgraded to a higher model because she thought it looks better (I obv had to put up a bit of a fight so it counted as a victory for her) but then watches BBC 1 SD rather than HD

Surround Sound - despite the love of a projector (its all she'd use given the choice) has no interest in audio quality for home cinema but v interested in it for music

iPhone - can use every photo app and messaging service out there perfectly but doesnt know how to use google maps or how to book a restaurant

I don't do anything with my other half. Well apart from that :D
Women really do annoy me though. If it wasn't for that I can't really see the need for them.
Tbh they probably feel the same about us, well they do about me that's for sure.
It's not just women mate...

-delete icon for 5USA
-tell wife that channel has stopped broadcasting, which is why it's not on the remote
-hope that she stops watching so much shite

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom